Thread poster: Samuel Murray
hanan-gh
hanan-gh
Libya
Local time: 01:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
. Dec 12, 2013

couple of weeks ago I had a chat with a lady who works as a sign teacher , I was surprised when she tolled me that the sign language varies even in one part of country, I thought it is the same every where but it seems to be as a multi dialects in some countries! the man looks like he is confidant of what he does.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Fake interpreter AND fake schizophrenic??? Dec 12, 2013

Amel Abdullah wrote:

The interpreter at the Mandela event has said that he experienced a schizophrenic episode while interpreting:

http://news.yahoo.com/mandela-memorial-sign-language-interpreter-39-fraud-39-004855924.html

"This illness (schizophrenia) is unfair," he said. "Anyone who doesn't understand this illness will think that I'm just making this up."

Medical experts poured scorn on that claim too.

"There were many features of Mr (Jantjie's) signing that do not chime with the typical presentation of disordered signing caused by a psychotic episode," said Jo Atkinson, an clinical psychologist at University College London.

If this entire story is correct, this man probably escaped from a mental institution to do it. They should be concerned about finding where he locked up the real interpreter who was hired to do this job.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 23:58
Japanese to English
Indeed Dec 12, 2013

Kaspars Melkis wrote:
Unbelievable but they never learn.

Jantjie, whose first language is Xhosa -- the same as Mandela’s -- was paid 800 rand ($77) for the full-day event, Bogopane-Zulu said. That compares with the as much as 1,700 rand an hour typical fee for a sign language interpreter, she said.

Maybe now the world will finally get the message: You get what you pay for. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
2.5 here in the US Dec 13, 2013

hanan-gh wrote:

couple of weeks ago I had a chat with a lady who works as a sign teacher , I was surprised when she tolled me that the sign language varies even in one part of country, I thought it is the same every where but it seems to be as a multi dialects in some countries! the man looks like he is confidant of what he does.

My mom was a sign language interpreter WAY back in the day. I didn't pick up nearly as much sign language as I would have liked, but here in the US we have two main styles of sign language, but most use a combination of the two.

Here's a video that was pretty popular here for a while of a reporter "having a stroke" in the middle of her broadcast. I guess some people just shouldn't be on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtCGb4fnHYw

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How much interpreters *really* earn in South Africa Dec 13, 2013

Kaspars Melkis wrote:
[Bloomberg News reports the following]:
Jantjie, whose first language is Xhosa -- the same as Mandela’s -- was paid 800 rand ... for the full-day event, Bogopane-Zulu said. That compares with the as much as 1,700 rand an hour typical fee for a sign language interpreter, [Hendrietta Bogopane-Zulu, South Africa's deputy minister of Women, Children and People With Disabilities] said.

R1700 per hour? That may be what the interpreters are *worth*, and what interpreter associations lobby for, but that isn't what is "typical".

The most recent survey of the South African Translators' Institute shows the following average interpreting rates:

* consecutive interpreting (all languages) = between R380 and R480 per hour
* simultaneous interpreting (South African languages) = R360 per hour

The current exchange rate is roughly R10:$1.

Note that the South African Translation Institute's online freelance register contains only 2 "members" who offer sign language interpreting, namely what appears to be a husband-and-wife team. Elsewhere I've read that there are only seven accredited SASL sign language interpreters in the entire county.

Amazingly, the DeafSA web site contains interpreter rates for sign language interpreters (not sure if they're recommended rates). The DeafSA rates for non-accredited interpreters are:

Up to 4 hours = R300 per hour (so, $30 per hour)
More than 4 hours = R1500 per day

So... where on earth does the minister get her figure "R1700 per hour" from???

[Edited at 2013-12-13 11:15 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
She what? Dec 13, 2013

hanan-gh wrote:

She tolled you?

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Far too trusting Dec 13, 2013

hanan-gh wrote:
the man looks like he is confidant [sic] of what he does.

Yes, he's a very confident liar.

Look closely at his hand signals, you don't need to understand sign language to realise that his movements are practically identical with only the slightest variation and also extremely repetitive.

Surely you have seen the Catherine Tate "fake interpreter" clip? (it's done the rounds many times). She plays an extremely confident interpreter, without speaking a word of the languages she interprets into.

Same thing here.

See here:
http://imgur.com/Wv4GTI9

Edited for humorous link.

[Edited at 2013-12-13 10:55 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Catherine Tate Dec 13, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

hanan-gh wrote:
the man looks like he is confidant [sic] of what he does.

Yes, he's a very confident liar.

Look closely at his hand signals, you don't need to understand sign language to realise that his movements are practically identical with only the slightest variation and also extremely repetitive.

Surely you have seen the Catherine Tate "fake interpreter" clip? (it's done the rounds many times). She plays an extremely confident interpreter, without speaking a word of the languages she interprets into.

Same thing here.

See here:
http://imgur.com/Wv4GTI9

Edited for humorous link.

Yes, the Catherine Tate interpreter sketch is hilarious - not only for her outrageous faking of the various languages but also for the increasingly bewildered expressions on the faces of her listeners. I especially like her version of Swedish - "hurdy-gurdy-hurdy-gurdy".
In the real world, how extraordinary it is that fakers such as the Mandela sign-language man have such apparent confidence in what they're doing. I think I'd be visibly trembling with fear of being found out.
Fascinating.

[Edited at 2013-12-13 10:55 GMT]

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My first thought when I heard the story Dec 13, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

Surely you have seen the Catherine Tate "fake interpreter" clip?

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Well, it is Friday... Dec 13, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

She tolled you?

Yes, it rang a bell in her memory...

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
There is no need... Dec 13, 2013

to make fun of non English mother tongue colleagues, regardless of their opinion... it's just in bad taste.

Václav Pinkava
Václav Pinkava  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Czech to English
+ ...
spinoff Dec 14, 2013

http://narf-archive.com/pix/47a7ff9b2e04d4fed8ef7a4916f680ab7ab7f297.gif

Could not resist sharing.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Update Dec 14, 2013

I'm surprised this hasn't made it here yet:

"What happened that day, I see angels come to the stadium ... I start realizing that the problem is here. And the problem, I don't know the attack of this problem, how will it comes. Sometimes I react violent on that place. Sometimes I will see things that chase me," Jantjie said.

Asked how often he had become violent, he said "a lot" while declining to provide details.

http://www.enca.com/south-africa/mandela-memorial-interpreter-was-hallucinating

Françoise Vogel
Françoise Vogel  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
a strange background Dec 14, 2013

Is it possible?
http://www.enca.com/south-africa/interpreter

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fake interpreter at Mandela funeral

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »