Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:38
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 24, 2014

This article by Timote Saladze was posted in the Russian forum. With his permission, I have translated it and am posting it here. If another forum is considered more appropriate, please move it. Jack Doughty.

Sochi, 23rd February 2014

It’s now time for the completion of the Sochi Winter Olympics. For most sportsmen and women, spectators, fans and other interested people, the G
... See more
This article by Timote Saladze was posted in the Russian forum. With his permission, I have translated it and am posting it here. If another forum is considered more appropriate, please move it. Jack Doughty.

Sochi, 23rd February 2014

It’s now time for the completion of the Sochi Winter Olympics. For most sportsmen and women, spectators, fans and other interested people, the Games will end this evening after the official closing ceremony. But for me, the Olympics ended yesterday evening, 22nd February, in the Laura skiing-biathlon complex, at a press conference of the winners in the 4 x 7.5 km relay, at which I and my colleagues interpreted.

I am very pleased about the result achieved by our Russian Olympic team. I have a tremendous feeling of pride in my country. However, I am not your typical fan, with flag, scarf and chants. For me, the Olympic Games mainly meant painstaking work. Work which I needed to perform at the highest quality level, and I managed to do this. I deliberately left the emotions and passions which not only the spectators, but also many colleagues, brought to the Olympics, somewhere a long way off, and devoted myself to methodical, purposeful and scrupulous work on glossaries. This work began several weeks before I arrived in Sochi. I studied terminology which was new to me, read a vast amount of information on the Winter Olympic sports in Russian and Italian, and viewed recordings of the performances of Italian competitors with commentaries by Italian journalists and sports commentators. I met managers, journalists and volunteers specializing in particular sports in order to gain a better understanding of what the competitors might say and what they might be asked at press conferences.

Never before in my life had I worked as one of a such a huge team of interpreter colleagues. I got to know some remarkable and interesting people, and we decided that our acquaintance and meetings would not end with the Games, but would definitely continue in the future. I listened with great interest to colleagues with other working languages discussing among themselves the finer points of translating particularly difficult terms into their own tongues. I learned much that was interesting about Chinese, Korean and Japanese.

I want to say thank you to all the managers and members of the Organizing Committee. Thanks to your work, I always knew when and where I had to be, what I had to do and how much time would be needed for all this. A special thank you to Yekaterina Kordenkova for her constant assistance in solving questions of work and everyday life. Thanks also to the Olympic Games volunteers. They helped us a very great deal, and our work would often have been much more difficult without their aid.

Another special thank you to the surgical department of the No. 1 Sochi Municipal Medical Centre, particularly to Sarkis Zhorayevich Aleksanyan. It so happened that during the Olympic Games, I had to undergo an operation on one of my fingers. Thanks to the outstanding doctors of the No. 1 Sochi Medical Centre, I returned home with my finger virtually back to normal.

I should just like to say a word or two about those things which, it seemed to me, were not so successful: transport and catering. I was expecting better conditions. However, ‘what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger’. These two faulty aspects did not in the least diminish my general positive impressions of working at the Olympic Games. It is just such positive impressions which will remain in my memory, and those are the ones which I shall share with my relatives, friends and colleagues.

[Edited at 2014-02-24 21:14 GMT]
Collapse

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you! Feb 24, 2014

It's so nice of you to share it! Here's a link to the original blog post: http://timo.trworkshop.net/2014/02/23/сочи-2014-мои-олимпийские-игры/

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:38
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Well done, Jack! Feb 24, 2014

Your translation of Timote's article is excellent.

Timote (who writes beautifully in Italian) has also shared some photos with us: http://www.proz.com/forum/italian/263876-saluti_da_sochi_2014.html

What an amazing experience for him and for all the people involved!
As a simple viewer, I've enjoyed the Winter Olympics very very much and, be
... See more
Your translation of Timote's article is excellent.

Timote (who writes beautifully in Italian) has also shared some photos with us: http://www.proz.com/forum/italian/263876-saluti_da_sochi_2014.html

What an amazing experience for him and for all the people involved!
As a simple viewer, I've enjoyed the Winter Olympics very very much and, being a keen supporter of Russia and the Netherlands, I am extremely satisfied with "our" results.

I'm sure the next Paralympics are going to be great fun as well.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you, grazie, спасибо. Feb 24, 2014

Thank you, missdutch, for the link to Timote's photos of the Games.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My Olympic Games

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »