NRPSI membership
Thread poster: Mira66
Mira66
Mira66
Local time: 05:05
Persian (Farsi) to English
Apr 9, 2014

is it still worth registering with the NRPSI in current situation?

the membership costs £200 a year,and as we all know,most if not all "customers" now use agencies to hire interpreters,instead of directly contacting them via NRPSI.

I've recently passed DPSI and would like to know if it's still worth paying the not-so-cheap annual fee to the NRPSI?

what other benefits does being on this register have for a freelance DPSI holder?
do agencies care about
... See more
is it still worth registering with the NRPSI in current situation?

the membership costs £200 a year,and as we all know,most if not all "customers" now use agencies to hire interpreters,instead of directly contacting them via NRPSI.

I've recently passed DPSI and would like to know if it's still worth paying the not-so-cheap annual fee to the NRPSI?

what other benefits does being on this register have for a freelance DPSI holder?
do agencies care about NRPSI membership at all?

all thoughts and advices appreciated!
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:05
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
NRPSI vs. ProZ Apr 10, 2014

In my opinion, it is definitely worth registering with ProZ but not with NRPSI. I have never heard of NRPSI before until I have read your post. ProZ is international. NRPSI is only national (UK).

Camelia Colnic
Camelia Colnic  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:05
Romanian to English
+ ...
NRPSI vs ProZ?! Apr 10, 2014

@ Atil: These two are two different things. NRPSI is for interpreters and ProZ is for translators mainly.

@Mira66: I would say that it depends on where you live exactly. There are areas in UK which still work with interpreters from the NRPSI.
You should check the market and see if anyone is requesting you to be on the register. If you do work for agencies, then it's no point being on the register as the agencies won't ask you that.
Being on the register is someh
... See more
@ Atil: These two are two different things. NRPSI is for interpreters and ProZ is for translators mainly.

@Mira66: I would say that it depends on where you live exactly. There are areas in UK which still work with interpreters from the NRPSI.
You should check the market and see if anyone is requesting you to be on the register. If you do work for agencies, then it's no point being on the register as the agencies won't ask you that.
Being on the register is somehow a proof that you are qualified, or at least this is what you can show to people in doubt(if you work with private companies for example).
I don't know what benefits you may have there.

My advice would be to try and become a member of ITI or similar associations, because I believe that you will get more benefits from there (like insurance, CPD). And you can leave NRPSI as a second option when you earn enough to afford it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NRPSI membership

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »