Thread poster: Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:58
Spanish to English
Apr 23, 2014

Hi there.

So I am saving up to re-sit my dpsi role play again, but I would like some advice on the best methods to perfect this by oneself.

I have some passed papers, so do I start slowly and try to get the translation right and then gradually build up speed?

As this is one of the hardest parts for me to practice.

all help appreciated.

Camelia Colnic
Camelia Colnic  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Research context and record yourself Apr 23, 2014

Hi,

I would first go through the whole theory and repeat different terminology. Then I would take the context from a role play and do some research, reading articles in both language, finding relevant terminology and making yourself a small glossary with words found.
If you do not have someone to read the exam paper to you, you can record yourself with the role play...and when you listen to it, you can record yourself while you interpret and then check if you did alright.
... See more
Hi,

I would first go through the whole theory and repeat different terminology. Then I would take the context from a role play and do some research, reading articles in both language, finding relevant terminology and making yourself a small glossary with words found.
If you do not have someone to read the exam paper to you, you can record yourself with the role play...and when you listen to it, you can record yourself while you interpret and then check if you did alright.
It is also worth having someone who already passed the exam in your language group that could practice with you a couple of times. But if you can not afford it, then recording yourself or asking a friend for help is an option.
Collapse

Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
DPSI role play practice help needed Apr 23, 2014

Camelia Colnic wrote:

Hi,

It is also worth having someone who already passed the exam in your language group that could practice with you a couple of times. But if you can not afford it, then recording yourself or asking a friend for help is an option.

what do you mean by theory?
Also I live in Portugal, so there is nobody here who has passed who I can contact as they all live in the UK.
I will have to record myself.

Do I start off slowly with the text concentrating on the translation and once I get the translation right, speeding up the speech?
many thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DPSI role play practice help needed

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »