nini24
nini24
United States
Local time: 00:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 12, 2016

Hi everybody,

I went on an interpreting assignment, which came from an agency.

Should I charge or deduct the 45 minutes lunch break for this interpreting job from 10:00 am - 4pm? I was a lone interpreter, doing consecutive interpreting.

This isn't a court case, I know states don't pay for lunch breaks.

Your opinion is appreciated.

Thanks.

nini

Sybille Brückner
Sybille Brückner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:18
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Charge or deduct Sep 12, 2016

Hi, Nini

Did you take a meal and had a real break (with no people around talking and needing interpretation) - then I would deduct the time.

But I assume you were sitting with all the people for which you interpreted before and after the break and you could hardly eat anything because they were always talking and are supposing you will interpret (and you did) - so you did not have any break = then charge the time.

Regards

Sybille

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Charge by all means Sep 12, 2016

I would charge for the lunch break, too, because there surely wasn't any time/space for you to work on other assignments during this full-day job, or even during this 45-minute break. Besides, it generally sounds very strange to me that time spent at the client's premises/venue would not be paid.

Regards,
Steffen

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:18
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Charge, of course Sep 12, 2016

You're still on an assignment, on client premises. If you were hired to be there between 10-4pm, then that's what you charge for.

Steffen Walter
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
I agree, Diana ... Sep 12, 2016

Diana Coada wrote:

You're still on an assignment, on client premises. If you were hired to be there between 10-4pm, then that's what you charge for.

... but I suspect that the agency intends to pay for this assignment per hour rather than on a full-day basis, which would have been more appropriate to begin with given that there were six hours of work (alone!) plus travel time to and from the venue (i.e. a full working day dedicated to this client and preparation/research time prior to the event).

[Edited at 2016-09-12 13:02 GMT]

nini24
nini24
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will charge lunch break Sep 12, 2016

Steffen Walter wrote:

Diana Coada wrote:

... but I suspect that the agency intends to pay for this assignment per hour rather than on a full-day basis, which would have been more appropriate to begin with given that there were six hours of work (alone!) plus travel time to and from the venue (i.e. a full working day dedicated to this client and preparation/research time prior to the event).

Thanks to all your responses.

I will charge the lunch break. Yes, I spent a few hours doing research on the case until 10pm the night before since the assignment was received last minute. Driving time: 2 hours to, 1&1/2 hours back, which I am not charging.

Steffen you are right, I was asked for per hour rate, the agency should have known that it was a full day deposition, because soon as I arrived, the deposing attorney told me that it would last until at least 4 or 5pm.

This gives me (and everybody) a good lesson that, in the future, I will give both a hourly and a full day rate.

Thanks again.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
MMmmm Sep 12, 2016

They should also pay for your actual lunch (what you eat) because their assignment means that you have to eat away from home.

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Costing Sep 12, 2016

I would charge lunch hour as well as lunch cost (not much though).

Lunch hour is a kind of legitimate rest time that full-time employees in the UK (at least) are entitled to have and to be paid according to labour law. Why not freelancers since you will work full day as well and need to eat lunch!

You could consider to package the lunch cost to the hourly rate or daily rate.

If it's a full-day job, I'd suggest you give them a daily block rate. It's usual
... See more
I would charge lunch hour as well as lunch cost (not much though).

Lunch hour is a kind of legitimate rest time that full-time employees in the UK (at least) are entitled to have and to be paid according to labour law. Why not freelancers since you will work full day as well and need to eat lunch!

You could consider to package the lunch cost to the hourly rate or daily rate.

If it's a full-day job, I'd suggest you give them a daily block rate. It's usually easier for PM and everyone such as the finance staff, not to mention yourself.

One thing you've to watch out is availability and willingness to work beyond 6 p.m. Make it clear to the PM that if the job will go beyond 6 p.m., you will charge a different hourly rate from 6 p.m onwards.

Of course, when offering after office hour rate you're assumed to be willing to work in after-office hours as well if the job will require you to do so.

Hope this helps.

David

[Edited at 2016-09-12 20:47 GMT]
Collapse

nini24
nini24
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Should lunch expense be reimbursed? Sep 13, 2016

Regarding Tom and David's opinion: I agree.

Once I tried to get reimbursed without prior agreement, I didn't know it was going to last pass lunch time, it actually ended after 5pm. I submitted my lunch receipt with my invoice, the agency told me that they were all shocked to see the lunch receipt, but I got reimbursed at the end, because the agency said they wanted to keep the relationship amicable. This experience was not pleasant.

But, I won't do it this time, last t
... See more
Regarding Tom and David's opinion: I agree.

Once I tried to get reimbursed without prior agreement, I didn't know it was going to last pass lunch time, it actually ended after 5pm. I submitted my lunch receipt with my invoice, the agency told me that they were all shocked to see the lunch receipt, but I got reimbursed at the end, because the agency said they wanted to keep the relationship amicable. This experience was not pleasant.

But, I won't do it this time, last time I did it was because I didn't think it would be an issue.

I will however make sure from now on, that I give hourly and full day rates, and if it goes pass lunch time, lunch expenses are covered, put everything in the contract.

Thanks to all, I am very appreciative for your opinion.
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sure! Sep 14, 2016

Steffen Walter wrote:

Diana Coada wrote:

We're not discussing full day versus hourly pay here, that's between the interpreter and the agency. We're basically discussing a 30 minute lunch break which for all intents and purposes has to be included in the daily rate/total number of hours.

Steffen Walter
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Sure but ... Sep 14, 2016

Diana Coada wrote:

Steffen Walter wrote:

Diana Coada wrote:

We're not discussing full day versus hourly pay here, that's between the interpreter and the agency. We're basically discussing a 30 minute lunch break which for all intents and purposes has to be included in the daily rate/total number of hours.

... such agreements on an hourly fee (rather than a full-day rate) between the interpreter and the agency ultimately pave the way to the highly questionable if not unethical practice of excluding breaks from payment.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Getting everything agreed in advance Sep 14, 2016

This interesting discussion teaches us (me included!) once again how important it is to get everything agreed before accepting an order and how difficult it can be to think of all the possible factors beforehand - e.g. should lunch breaks and lunch itself be included in an interpreting assignment? I think they certainly should. Interpreting is a tough and exhausting job and to keep her mind fresh and alert, an interpreter needs breaks and sustenance.
I've recently learned the importance of
... See more
This interesting discussion teaches us (me included!) once again how important it is to get everything agreed before accepting an order and how difficult it can be to think of all the possible factors beforehand - e.g. should lunch breaks and lunch itself be included in an interpreting assignment? I think they certainly should. Interpreting is a tough and exhausting job and to keep her mind fresh and alert, an interpreter needs breaks and sustenance.
I've recently learned the importance of agreeing everything in advance in a different but annoying situation.
I accepted a large and urgent order from "Agency M". Unusually, the PM insisted, in writing, that I must invoice according to the target word count. I agreed.
I delivered the job an hour before the deadline and stated the target word count for invoicing as agreed.
The PM emailed me simply "I get a word count of XXX" - no thanks, nothing else.
I was annoyed by her brusque and thankless manner after my valiant efforts.
She emailed me again insisting on her word count.
I counted the words again and emailed her back with my word count (the same as before). I have received no further message from her.
I don't understand why her word count came to less than mine (if it really did) and it had never occurred to me that our word counts for the same file would be different.
I was amazed at the effort she put into shaving €6.5 off the price (total invoice over € 900).
I'll be invoicing Agency M at the end of the month according to my word count and we'll see whether she continues to dispute it and shaves €6.5 off my bill.
If I ever take another target count order from Agency M, which I'm not much inclined to do, I'll make sure to state that the word count will be according to my count.
Heigh ho, said Scarlett.
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nope Sep 14, 2016

Steffen Walter wrote:
... such agreements on an hourly fee (rather than a full-day rate) between the interpreter and the agency ultimately pave the way to the highly questionable if not unethical practice of excluding breaks from payment.

I've never heard of any interpreter (conference or public service) charge 10.00-12.30 and 13.00-16.00, for example. It's unheard of at least in the UK.

[Edited at 2016-09-14 17:44 GMT]

Steffen Walter
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Neither have I, ... Sep 14, 2016

Diana Coada wrote:

Steffen Walter wrote:

I've never heard of any interpreter (conference or public service) charge 10.00-12.30 and 13.00-16.00, for example. It's unheard of at least in the UK.

... at least in German-speaking countries. Note, though, that the original poster's statement seems to point to such dubious practices in the US.

nini24
nini24
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dubious rate quotes Sep 14, 2016

Steffen Walter wrote:

Diana Coada wrote:

Steffen Walter wrote:

... at least in German-speaking countries. Note, though, that the original poster's statement seems to point to such dubious practices in the US.

Yes, it happens more often than not for interpretation assignments here in Chicago from agencies from all over the country. They do not mention the duration of the assignments when this piece of information is readily available from their clients which I found out only after I arrived at the sites.

I started to cover all grounds in my quotes since I posted 2 days ago. A very good lesson for me indeed, thanks for all your feedbacks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charge or deduct lunch break?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »