Lidia Morejudo
Lidia Morejudo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 28, 2016

Hello there,

I did my DPSI in 2006, since then I have done bits and pieces due to timing issues, could not commit to be "available" at any time. Now, I am more free, I am in the interpreting team for my local council (South West England) and registered with a couple of agencies. So far, in the last few months, I have had a few one hour assignments from the council. Nothing from the agencies.

I had been thinking about the possibility of registering with the NRPSI, to be
... See more
Hello there,

I did my DPSI in 2006, since then I have done bits and pieces due to timing issues, could not commit to be "available" at any time. Now, I am more free, I am in the interpreting team for my local council (South West England) and registered with a couple of agencies. So far, in the last few months, I have had a few one hour assignments from the council. Nothing from the agencies.

I had been thinking about the possibility of registering with the NRPSI, to be able to access other areas of work like Police interpreting, etc. However, given my pair Spanish-English and the cost of registering, I am not sure how advantageous it would be.

Is there anybody out there with experience who can share their opinion on this? What has been your experience with the NRPSI, is it worth it? Would you advise for or against registration?

Thanks!
Collapse

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

An advantage Sep 29, 2016

Lidia Morejudo wrote:

Hello there,

I had been thinking about the possibility of registering with the NRPSI, to be able to access other areas of work like Police interpreting, etc. However, given my pair Spanish-English and the cost of registering, I am not sure how advantageous it would be.

Is there anybody out there with experience who can share their opinion on this? What has been your experience with the NRPSI, is it worth it? Would you advise for or against registration?

Thanks!

Hi

For my language pair, registering with NRPSI is definitely an advantage.

Hope this helps.

David

milena beba
milena beba
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
NRPSI + Oct 2, 2016

Hi Lidia,

Another option would be trying to get in touch with the personnel department of the organization that you are interested in, and find out whether there is a demand for your language pair.

Good luck!

Lidia Morejudo
Lidia Morejudo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
24/7 or part-time interpreting? Dec 24, 2016

Thanks for your input.
There is not one organisation I am interested in. At the moment interpreting is something I do for my local council, but it is not something I can rely on as my main line, because for my language pair there are no so many cases, as for other language pairs. And sometimes, it is more trouble than it´s worth, if you have to travel between 30 or 60 minutes for a one hour job, which seems to be the case mainly for my language pair in local services.
However, I ha
... See more
Thanks for your input.
There is not one organisation I am interested in. At the moment interpreting is something I do for my local council, but it is not something I can rely on as my main line, because for my language pair there are no so many cases, as for other language pairs. And sometimes, it is more trouble than it´s worth, if you have to travel between 30 or 60 minutes for a one hour job, which seems to be the case mainly for my language pair in local services.
However, I had heard that the Public Register would open the doors for other type of assignments, in courts, police, etc where the assignments may be longer.

At the moment, I would only be available to attend assignments for two working days and the weekend. Has anybody found that to make it work, they really need to be available 24/7?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

National Register of Public Service Interpreters

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »