Teresa Woischiski
Teresa Woischiski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:42
English to German
+ ...
Feb 27, 2018

Dear colleagues,

I am a freelance translator who wants to start with interpretation Eng>Ger (not simultaneous for now).
What training steps would you recommend me?

Is there a way to train myself in interpretation without having to study full-time? This would not possible for me, timewise. I live in Berlin, so any interpreters who live and work in Berlin: your help and feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

all the best,
Teres
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am a freelance translator who wants to start with interpretation Eng>Ger (not simultaneous for now).
What training steps would you recommend me?

Is there a way to train myself in interpretation without having to study full-time? This would not possible for me, timewise. I live in Berlin, so any interpreters who live and work in Berlin: your help and feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

all the best,
Teresa
Collapse

Sun Min Lotterie (maiden name Espindola)
France
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Books Feb 27, 2018

Hi Teresa,

I can suggest a book as an introduction to interpreting:

Conference Interpreting Explained by Roderick Jones.

Maybe the local German translation association has information on training.

Regards,

Joy

Juliano Martins
Juliano Martins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:42
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I did it Feb 27, 2018

Dear Teresa,

I am a translator since 2008. In 2012, I wanted to become an interpreter too. Therefore, I attended an online course in a Brazilian interpreting school for English-Portuguese during one year. But after that I didn’t get any interpreting jobs, and continued focusing on translation. I think it happened because I didn’t know anyone in my city (Fortaleza) hiring interpreters, besides I was very comfortable with my translation jobs from international agencies already.... See more
Dear Teresa,

I am a translator since 2008. In 2012, I wanted to become an interpreter too. Therefore, I attended an online course in a Brazilian interpreting school for English-Portuguese during one year. But after that I didn’t get any interpreting jobs, and continued focusing on translation. I think it happened because I didn’t know anyone in my city (Fortaleza) hiring interpreters, besides I was very comfortable with my translation jobs from international agencies already.

Only in 2016 I met an interpreting agency here in Fortaleza because of a Facebook group. And since 2017 this agency is hiring me every month for interpreting assignments, for both English-Portuguese and French-Portuguese.

The difference between getting jobs as a translator and as an interpreter is that in translation you can use only the internet and work anywhere, whereas in interpreting you have to meet people face to face and there must be a demand for jobs in the city where you live.

Nowadays I am a translator and interpreter.

Liebe Grüße!
Collapse

Teresa Woischiski
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Juliano Feb 28, 2018

Dear Juliano,

thank you very much for opening up about your experience. This is great to know.

Yes, my plan is also to do an online course and then find out about the local market, I am sure at fairs there is also need for interpreters right? Or what locations do you usually go to interpret, or better, which kind of jobs do you do? Do you specialize in a certain field or more general?
E.g. I am specialized in tourism and travel. Maybe it would be good to
... See more
Dear Juliano,

thank you very much for opening up about your experience. This is great to know.

Yes, my plan is also to do an online course and then find out about the local market, I am sure at fairs there is also need for interpreters right? Or what locations do you usually go to interpret, or better, which kind of jobs do you do? Do you specialize in a certain field or more general?
E.g. I am specialized in tourism and travel. Maybe it would be good to specialize on this?

Thanks.

All the best,
Teresa
Collapse

Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
About Fortaleza Feb 28, 2018

Hi Teresa,

So far I have interpreted events about culture, photography/cinema courses, and a few corporate meetings in the pharmaceutical and construction sectors.

Fortaleza is a very touristic city, and many events come here because of it. The interpreter who owns this interpreting agency here has 17 years of experience and told me that there are many events in the medical field.

Many events about culture and that bring presenters from abroad are linked to
... See more
Hi Teresa,

So far I have interpreted events about culture, photography/cinema courses, and a few corporate meetings in the pharmaceutical and construction sectors.

Fortaleza is a very touristic city, and many events come here because of it. The interpreter who owns this interpreting agency here has 17 years of experience and told me that there are many events in the medical field.

Many events about culture and that bring presenters from abroad are linked to universities or the local government. Maybe the universities in Berlin also bring people who need to be interpreted in conferences or courses.

I think tourism and travel are great.

Maybe you could watch this talk in a conference that I organized here last year (it’s in English):
So you want to be a conference interpreter? (Rodrigo Bonet - Poliglotar 2017)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giwOw_b5xLA

See you,
Juliano.
Collapse

Teresa Woischiski
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
perfect Feb 28, 2018

I will definitely watch this, thanks.
I might get back to you again, when I have a bit more actual insight about the interpreting business in Berlin, may I?
This has been very helpful.

All the best,
Teresa

Juliano Martins wrote:

Hi Teresa,

Many events about culture and that bring presenters from abroad are linked to universities or the local government. Maybe the universities in Berlin also bring people who need to be interpreted in conferences or courses.

I think tourism and travel are great.

Maybe you could watch this talk in a conference that I organized here last year (it’s in English):
So you want to be a conference interpreter? (Rodrigo Bonet - Poliglotar 2017)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giwOw_b5xLA

See you,
Juliano.

Teresa Woischiski
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Feb 28, 2018

Hi Joy,
oh, yes. Very good, I will have a look at this book, thank you.
Are you an interpreter as well? I think my fear of forgetting words under pressure is right now the biggest boundary. Is that something you learn to deal with?

All the best,
Teresa

Joy Lotterie wrote:

Hi Teresa,

Regards,

Joy

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Face-to-face training Mar 1, 2018

I'm not sure learning interpreting online makes any sense. The most important part is getting feedback on how you've done from someone who knows what they are talking about and practising (A LOT) in front of other people. Otherwise you will be doing your first year's worth of clients a huge injustice.
The translation part of my degree was not necessarily essential but the interpreting part certainly was.
Perhaps you could find a part-time, face-to-face course somewhere?

Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Online interpreting training Mar 1, 2018

It makes total sense when the online platform creates an environment that simulates everything, as if you were face-to-face.

I attended a 100% online interpreting course during one year in 2012 at Brasillis Idiomas, and there was no difference whatsoever with the face-to-face course. Including people who lived in the city of the school, that is, Rio de Janeiro, preferred to attend the online course than the face-to-face one, for example, among other things, to avoid traffic.
<
... See more
It makes total sense when the online platform creates an environment that simulates everything, as if you were face-to-face.

I attended a 100% online interpreting course during one year in 2012 at Brasillis Idiomas, and there was no difference whatsoever with the face-to-face course. Including people who lived in the city of the school, that is, Rio de Janeiro, preferred to attend the online course than the face-to-face one, for example, among other things, to avoid traffic.

We were 10 students in the virtual class. There were moments when everyone was together with the teacher for some theoretical explanation. Then, each one would go to their individual interpreting booth in their own PCs, listening to the same audio, and the teacher would visit each one’s booth to give personal feedback.
Collapse

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
But there is a difference Mar 1, 2018

Juliano Martins wrote:

We were 10 students in the virtual class. There were moments when everyone was together with the teacher for some theoretical explanation. Then, each one would go to their individual interpreting booth in their own PCs, listening to the same audio, and the teacher would visit each one’s booth to give personal feedback.

It seems to have worked very well for you and I'm not knocking that but there is a difference.

Do you really not think that practising in front of other people, outside the comfort of your own home, and being able to see and hear their work is of any benefit?

Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I agree... Mar 1, 2018

... that practicing in front of other people, outside the comfort of your own home, and being able to see and hear their work is of total benefit. I never said the opposite.

But when you can't have it, an online course is fine and probably enough.

France
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Techniques Mar 1, 2018

Hi, Teresa,

Yes, I am. I've completed the first year of the Master of Conference Interpreting from Glendon College, York University. There are techniques to help you with that and other aspects of interpreting. A good training course will prepare you for all the aspects of interpreting.

Regards,

Joy

Teresa Woischiski wrote:

Hi Joy,
oh, yes. Very good, I will have a look at this book, thank you.
Are you an interpreter as well? I think my fear of forgetting words under pressure is right now the biggest boundary. Is that something you learn to deal with?

All the best,
Teresa

Joy Lotterie wrote:

Hi Teresa,

Regards,

Joy

France
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I also agree Mar 1, 2018

Hi Georgie,

The first year of the interpreting master's that I did at the MCI (Master's of Conference Interpreting from Glendon-York University) is entirely online, we get a lot of feedback from teachers and colleagues and we practise a lot, it is in real time through video conference so it's like a real classroom, it helps prepare interpreters for Video Remote Interpreting. But their second year (which I've not attended) is 100% in-person in order to practice in a "real booth". I t
... See more
Hi Georgie,

The first year of the interpreting master's that I did at the MCI (Master's of Conference Interpreting from Glendon-York University) is entirely online, we get a lot of feedback from teachers and colleagues and we practise a lot, it is in real time through video conference so it's like a real classroom, it helps prepare interpreters for Video Remote Interpreting. But their second year (which I've not attended) is 100% in-person in order to practice in a "real booth". I think that it is possible to learn the basis online or to practice some aspects but things like overcoming one's fear of speaking in front of an audience, voice projection, working in a booth, etc are also important and can't be taught online.

Best regards,

Georgie Scott wrote:

Juliano Martins wrote:

It seems to have worked very well for you and I'm not knocking that but there is a difference.

Do you really not think that practising in front of other people, outside the comfort of your own home, and being able to see and hear their work is of any benefit?

[Edited at 2018-03-01 20:22 GMT]
Collapse

France
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Teacher Mar 1, 2018

Hi, Juliano,

That's very interesting, one of my interpreting teachers used to be a partner at Brasilis, her name is Sheyla Carvalho. Was she also your teacher?

Regards,

Juliano Martins wrote:

Teresa Woischiski
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU ALL Mar 6, 2018

Dear all,

this has all been very helpful. Now it is on me to make it happen.
I will let you know

All the best,
Teresa Woschiski

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First steps: Interpreter

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »