Eng2Span
Eng2Span  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 12, 2005

Hi everybody!

Just wanted to share my joy with those that are familiar with the topic. Well, I don't know how... but I actually passed the oral portion of the FCICE (Federal Court Interpreter Certification Examination)... wow, did I ever think I flunked it! Makes my passing all the more a happy event, not that I'm proud that I didn't do better, but hey...
I did much better on the written portion last year, barely passed this one with an 82... minimum was an 80.
... See more
Hi everybody!

Just wanted to share my joy with those that are familiar with the topic. Well, I don't know how... but I actually passed the oral portion of the FCICE (Federal Court Interpreter Certification Examination)... wow, did I ever think I flunked it! Makes my passing all the more a happy event, not that I'm proud that I didn't do better, but hey...
I did much better on the written portion last year, barely passed this one with an 82... minimum was an 80.
Just about all of my interpreting has been at church, so the legalese posed quite a challenge... if anybody needs any info regarding the exam (NOT questions/answers!!! just pointers) let me know, I'll be glad to help!

Take care,

Eng2Span
Collapse

Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 07:10
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
Congratulations :) Nov 12, 2005

And way to go

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:10
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Wow! Nov 12, 2005

Hi Eng2Span (sorry if I mispronounced your name),

Congratulations - I'm sure that you are excited. I haven't taken the test, so I can't say for sure, but it certainly sounds like quite an achievement. Bravo!

Regards,
Derek

Lise Berthiaume
Lise Berthiaume
Canada
English to French
WOW WOW WOW Nov 12, 2005

It is very good for you. Congredulations. Et le meilleur reste à venir.

Lise

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Welcome to the Club Nov 12, 2005

Congratulations, and welcome to the Club. One good thing is that from now on there are no more dues to pay.

Do you have any idea how many people passed in the last cycle, and how many U.S. Fed. Court Interpreters there might be now in total? I look on the Net for such information all the time with no luck.

As for knowing how many and who these people are, I'm not sure even the Federal Government knows; in fact I am sure they don't. I was certified back in the dinosaur a
... See more
Congratulations, and welcome to the Club. One good thing is that from now on there are no more dues to pay.

Do you have any idea how many people passed in the last cycle, and how many U.S. Fed. Court Interpreters there might be now in total? I look on the Net for such information all the time with no luck.

As for knowing how many and who these people are, I'm not sure even the Federal Government knows; in fact I am sure they don't. I was certified back in the dinosaur age (1981, when the exam was administered directly by the Feds) and for a few years they would periodically send me lists. Back then, starting out we numbered less than 200 and increased rather slowly. After several years the lists stopped coming.

I don't know if there is even any way we can update our information on these lists, wherever they are kept now. Fortunately my information has not changed since those remote times, but surely many people have moved, and I also know of some who have died.

The University of Arizona (coincidentally my alma mater) used to keep the list but they no longer have the project.

So apparently the Feds have spent all this time and trouble to certify people, only to lose track of them except for those who are actually employed by the courts.

But again, congratulations! And we hope to see more like you.
Collapse

Gacela20
Gacela20  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Congratulations! Nov 12, 2005

I can understand your relief.

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:10
English to Italian
+ ...
Congratulazioni! Nov 12, 2005

Congratulations from Italy for your achievement!

DZ

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
The monster blinked first Nov 14, 2005

Congratulations. I also took the exam this past August. I did not pass but was veeeeery close (75 out of a minimum 80 to pass) so I was just as happy. I compared my experience with seeing a monster eye to eye. This time I blinked first but next time, just like in your case, I am sure the monster will blink first and I will pass. It takes practice but there are excellent training materials available.
Henry, I am sure this people can answer your question about how many certified judicary in
... See more
Congratulations. I also took the exam this past August. I did not pass but was veeeeery close (75 out of a minimum 80 to pass) so I was just as happy. I compared my experience with seeing a monster eye to eye. This time I blinked first but next time, just like in your case, I am sure the monster will blink first and I will pass. It takes practice but there are excellent training materials available.
Henry, I am sure this people can answer your question about how many certified judicary interpreters there are:
http://www.orgsites.com/ny/mvoiti/
Collapse

Eng2Span
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where did you take the exam? Nov 14, 2005

Luisa Ramos wrote:

Henry, I am sure this people can answer your question about how many certified judicary interpreters there are:
http://www.orgsites.com/ny/mvoiti/

Luisa,

Did you fly to Miami to take the exam? I remember meeting a lady there who said she had flown in from PR... was that you??

Eng2Span
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The info is out there somehwere... Nov 14, 2005

Henry Hinds wrote:

As for knowing how many and who these people are, I'm not sure even the Federal Government knows; in fact I am sure they don't. I was certified back in the dinosaur age (1981, when the exam was administered directly by the Feds) and for a few years they would periodically send me lists. Back then, starting out we numbered less than 200 and increased rather slowly. After several years the lists stopped coming.

I don't know if there is even any way we can update our information on these lists, wherever they are kept now. Fortunately my information has not changed since those remote times, but surely many people have moved, and I also know of some who have died.

The University of Arizona (coincidentally my alma mater) used to keep the list but they no longer have the project.

So apparently the Feds have spent all this time and trouble to certify people, only to lose track of them except for those who are actually employed by the courts.

Hi Henry,

I got a call from them on Friday asking for my contact info so they could put it on the "list"... a week or so ago I remember finding it somewhere online... it was tough... two years ago when I registered for the written exam there was an easy to find master list right on the FCICE or NCSC website... it's not there anymore, but I did find it somewhere else... don't have it handy right now, but I'll look for it again and let you know. The list only had one lady (approved in 1986 or so) here in Tampa... I think all of Florida only had a couple dozen on there if I recall correctly. Well, I'll find it and let you know... then we'll see.

OmarLo
OmarLo  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
congrats May 9, 2008

I am two years late congratulating you, pero como dicen " Mas vale tarde que nunca". Yo presente la prueba escrita y la aprobe la primera vez. La prueba oral fue un poco mas dificil y pues desafortunadamente no sali exitoso esta vez, pero le estoy echando ganas y a la proxima la apruebo.

Eng2Span
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still welcome... May 9, 2008

Thanks!

It might have been two years ago but kind words are always welcome...

Let me know when you pass...

Take care,

Eng2Span

patriciat
patriciat
Local time: 21:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Statistical data is hard to find Jun 9, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

I don't have any data for the federal exam, but only 5% passes the california interpreters exam last cycle it was about 10 people that passed

hfp
hfp
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
you have tamed the beast Jun 22, 2008

Hey, Eng2Span. Thanks for posting! I can't believe you passed the Federal Court Interpreter Certification Examination. That exam looks like a beast. Lately I have been going through the certification manual in order to prepare myself to take the test some day. At this point, it seems like I won't be ready for a few years. In the meantime I'll study and try to improve my interpreting skills down here in Chile. Well, I just wanted to say great job and let you know that I may ask you for poi... See more
Hey, Eng2Span. Thanks for posting! I can't believe you passed the Federal Court Interpreter Certification Examination. That exam looks like a beast. Lately I have been going through the certification manual in order to prepare myself to take the test some day. At this point, it seems like I won't be ready for a few years. In the meantime I'll study and try to improve my interpreting skills down here in Chile. Well, I just wanted to say great job and let you know that I may ask you for pointers sometime. Take it easy!Collapse

Eng2Span
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problem, I'll be glad to help... Jun 24, 2008

Keep at it!

Now that I've been working full-time in the courts I can tell you it is definitely worth whatever effort it takes... the people I have met are just fantastic and the work never ceases to surprise...

Let me know when you need anything...

Take care,

Eng2Span

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passed my FCICE!!!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »