CANADIANS: Certification in Interpretation at U of Toronto (fast and affordable)
Thread poster: Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 7, 2007

Dear Interpreters of Toronto,
When I first started delving into the field of language a few months ago, I realized that qualifications and certification are key. And I found a great solution in the courses offered by the School of Continued Studies at the University of Toronto.
They offer courses in translation and interpretation, at the end of which you receive a certification in the field of your study.
The consec. interpretation certificate takes only 1
... See more
Dear Interpreters of Toronto,
When I first started delving into the field of language a few months ago, I realized that qualifications and certification are key. And I found a great solution in the courses offered by the School of Continued Studies at the University of Toronto.
They offer courses in translation and interpretation, at the end of which you receive a certification in the field of your study.
The consec. interpretation certificate takes only 1 year, with 3 sets of evening classes once a week for 8 weeks, i.e. just 24 evening classes across a year.
In my experience so far (I have attended Part I of 3 parts), the courses are professional, helpful and informative. And of course I look forward to having the certificate at the end.
I am looking forward to the 2nd part that starts on Feb 6. You don't need to start with level 1. In fact, you could start at level 2 next month, then complete the course by next December, and have your certificate as a Christmas gift 2007!
All ages attend, but most are career people seeking to develop and certify their skills.
I have focused on my languages (Spanish, French), but they offer others as well.
Either way, I invite you to check it out for yourselves; you can google their website. And hopefully I can see some of you there. Take care.
Collapse

Gabi Ancarol (X)
Gabi Ancarol (X)
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
in fact... Jan 7, 2007

I'm also looking for some courses to attend but my problem is that I have a little baby, and going back to the University is out of the question these days...

However, I've found you can take some translation courses online with this Institution.. They seem quite interesting. Is there any way you could provide me (or us, if anyone ele interested) with some feedback? Just if you happen to know anything about them, all information could be useful to me!

Thanks a lot Nicho
... See more
I'm also looking for some courses to attend but my problem is that I have a little baby, and going back to the University is out of the question these days...

However, I've found you can take some translation courses online with this Institution.. They seem quite interesting. Is there any way you could provide me (or us, if anyone ele interested) with some feedback? Just if you happen to know anything about them, all information could be useful to me!

Thanks a lot Nicholas
Collapse

Nicholas Ferreira
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Online and Distance Translation Certification Jan 7, 2007

Maria,
Congratulations on your little one! What a great gift!
Yes, I am also taking the online French translation certification course with the School of Continued Studies of the U of Toronto. The course structure is similar to the one I described for interpretation: you complete 3 levels of the course to receive your translation certificate.
Each of the 3 courses is completed on your own at your own pace. I believe you can do each part over 12-18 months,
... See more
Maria,
Congratulations on your little one! What a great gift!
Yes, I am also taking the online French translation certification course with the School of Continued Studies of the U of Toronto. The course structure is similar to the one I described for interpretation: you complete 3 levels of the course to receive your translation certificate.
Each of the 3 courses is completed on your own at your own pace. I believe you can do each part over 12-18 months, though this would be the longest amount of time. Some people have completed all 3 parts of the whole certification course in less than 2 months (I imagine they spent almost full-time).
They offer 2 different formats: distance and online. To tell you the truth, there is nothing special about online. They send you the course work via e-mail, but then you need to print it and complete it on your own. You then type it and send it by e-mail. For the extra cost, I don't think it's worth it. I would recommend just using the distance method, where you receive the texts by mail and send in your course work by mail as well.
This is all RE their professional translation certification. They do not offer distance courses for interpretation, since that necessarily requires live training and practice, feedback, coaching, etc.
And getting back to the on-campus interpretation courses, they are so designed that you can take them regardless of your current life/work situation or responsibilities. Because it does not involve full-time studies at University, but only one night per week over 24 weeks. That's what made it attractive for me: a way to certify my skills without interrupting my present activities.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:25
Dutch to English
+ ...
Website? Jan 8, 2007

I've searched but can't find their website. Do you have it?
Many thanks.

[Edited at 2007-01-08 18:00]

Nicholas Ferreira
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Website for SCS Toronto Jan 8, 2007

Here is the link for the School of Continued Studies of the University of Toronto: http://learn.utoronto.ca/Page4.aspx.

On the main page you will see the section "Languages and Translation."

Hope this helps.

sabouelnour
sabouelnour
Local time: 17:25
Arabic to English
+ ...
Interpretation Jun 8, 2012

Nicholas, thank you for your post...5 years later I bump into it! But I must say, it's been most useful. Would you happen to know of any similar courses but in interpretation rather than translation?

Anyone who might know is also welcome to share their knowledge

Nicholas Ferreira
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interpretation training resources in Toronto Jul 31, 2012

sabouelnour wrote:

Nicholas, thank you for your post...5 years later I bump into it! But I must say, it's been most useful. Would you happen to know of any similar courses but in interpretation rather than translation?

Anyone who might know is also welcome to share their knowledge

Hi sabouelnour,

Unfortunately since my posting, U of T no longer offers its language-specific interpretation courses, which is a loss.

But now many community colleges such as Seneca and Sheridan have stepped in to fill the gap and offer multi-level interpretation courses geared to community, medical and legal interpreters in a variety of languages and settings. I can provide more information on these if you are interested and cannot find on Google.

Many community interpretation agencies offer their own version of the training, such as MCIS, Barbara Schleiffer (spelling?) and others.

And as of this fall, York University will be offering a two-year Masters in Conference Interpreting, which was previously only available in Ottawa or BC. So that is a big step forward for the interpreting community of Canada? Not so much need to travel to Monterey now

Hope this helps.

Marina Khonina
Marina Khonina  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:25
Russian to English
+ ...
Master of Conference Interpreting at York University Aug 1, 2012

Nicholas Ferreira wrote:

And as of this fall, York University will be offering a two-year Masters in Conference Interpreting, which was previously only available in Ottawa or BC. So that is a big step forward for the interpreting community of Canada? Not so much need to travel to Monterey now

Thank you for sharing this, Nicholas.

I was in touch with Glendon / York University just a few weeks ago. Their 2-year Master of Conference Interpreting program looks very promising.

Here's a link for those who might be interested:
http://www.glendon.yorku.ca/interpretation/

York University also runs short-term professional development courses, which are probably a better choice for professionals with substantial experience.

In fact, this August they're offering a workshop with James Nolan, Lynn Visson, and Roland Sarot. I really wish I could have signed up—except I'm half a world away.

Marina Khonina
Canada
Russian to English
+ ...
Conference interpreting courses in British Columbia Aug 1, 2012

Nicholas Ferreira wrote:

... Masters in Conference Interpreting, which was previously only available in Ottawa or BC.

Nicholas, could you please elaborate on the BC part? I haven't heard of any conference interpreting courses in British Columbia, and I'm extremely curious.

Thanks so much!

nini24
nini24
United States
Local time: 10:25
English to Chinese
+ ...
Certification in Interpretation in the US Sep 25, 2012

Hi,

This topic is very interesting to me, thank you all.

Does anybody know about the training/courses in the US? preferably in the Chicago area or in the midwest in general?

Thanks

Nicholas Ferreira
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About BC interpreting programs Sep 26, 2012

Marina Khonina wrote:

Nicholas Ferreira wrote:

... Masters in Conference Interpreting, which was previously only available in Ottawa or BC.

Nicholas, could you please elaborate on the BC part? I haven't heard of any conference interpreting courses in British Columbia, and I'm extremely curious.

Thanks so much!

The program I was thinking about is offered through Simon Fraser University (http://www.sfu.ca/content/sfu/continuing-studies/programs/interpretation-and-translation-diploma/overview.html)

As well, I was thinking about the court interpreting course at Vancouver Community College. However, they do not have a diploma in conference interpreting that I am aware of.

Hope this helps.

Marina Khonina
Canada
Russian to English
+ ...
Interpreting program at SFU Sep 26, 2012

Nicholas Ferreira wrote:

The program I was thinking about is offered through Simon Fraser University
( http://www.sfu.ca/content/sfu/continuing-studies/programs/interpretation-and-translation-diploma/overview.html )

Thanks for sharing the link, Nicholas. I didn't realise SFU offered an interpreting course, though the program seems to be more general, rather than specifically conference interpreting-oriented:

...an eight-month, full-time professional training program that focuses on practical interpreting skills, on-location practice sessions, and English-language upgrading.

It's helpful to know about it, nonetheless.

Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CANADIANS: Certification in Interpretation at U of Toronto (fast and affordable)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »