Payment for travelling
Thread poster: Derringdo
Derringdo
Derringdo  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Oct 12, 2007

I have been offered an interpreting job in a city which will take me 7 hours by bus to reach. How much would you charge for the hours spent on the bus (compared to one hour's work)? All in all one job of 5 hours might in the end take me 48 hours to complete.

They will of course pay for tickets, meals and accomodation.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or experiences.

pascie
pascie  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:20
English to French
+ ...
Half of the interpreting fee is the standard Oct 12, 2007

This falls under the category:
Travel time.
Your invoice should reflect the following elements:
- Interpreting Fee (rate per hour)
- Travel Time (Half of the interpreting fee)
- Transport (up to $125.00) This covers bus, taxi, parking ticket, or the like. It does not cover airline ticket if you need to fly.
- Per Diem ($50.00)
This covers your meals, not accomodation. A dry cleaner if needed, etc.

As a general rule
Transportation and
... See more
This falls under the category:
Travel time.
Your invoice should reflect the following elements:
- Interpreting Fee (rate per hour)
- Travel Time (Half of the interpreting fee)
- Transport (up to $125.00) This covers bus, taxi, parking ticket, or the like. It does not cover airline ticket if you need to fly.
- Per Diem ($50.00)
This covers your meals, not accomodation. A dry cleaner if needed, etc.

As a general rule
Transportation and accomodation are separate. Of course at the client's expenses.
I hope this helps.
Collapse

erika rubinstein
erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:20
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
I never charge for travelling! Oct 12, 2007

I mean the time while travelling. I just charge a complete day rate, also if I just worked 3 hours.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Why half? Oct 12, 2007

I reason that if I am home translating I will be making at least as much as my interpreting rate for that time. If I'm out on the road, I lose that. So what compensation is that to get only half?

Of course there are times when:

1.- Work is slow, so it is worthwhile.
2.- I need a change in scenery anyway, so a travel assignment is like a paid vacation.
3.- It may involve several days interpreting at good rates, at an interesting event and for a good client, e
... See more
I reason that if I am home translating I will be making at least as much as my interpreting rate for that time. If I'm out on the road, I lose that. So what compensation is that to get only half?

Of course there are times when:

1.- Work is slow, so it is worthwhile.
2.- I need a change in scenery anyway, so a travel assignment is like a paid vacation.
3.- It may involve several days interpreting at good rates, at an interesting event and for a good client, etc., so it is worth some concessions.

The above reasons are good, but there are many other times when I have lost time, jobs, money, etc. because of having taken a travel assignment and my time was not adequately compensated.

It depends on your own convenience at the time the assignment comes up. That is the standard as far as I am concerned.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: On poster's request.
Tatiana Willemsen-Golyandrina
Netherlands
English to Russian
+ ...
I think Oct 28, 2007

You should charge the day-rate and plus the hours abovel, if you are there more than 8 hours.

Netherlands
English to Russian
+ ...
Correction of typos Dec 27, 2008

Tatiana Nijboer wrote:

You should charge a day-rate and plus the hours above, if you are there for more than 8 hours.

[Редактировалось 2008-12-27 20:45 GMT]

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 16:20
English to Russian
+ ...
I negotiate on case-by-case basis Jan 1, 2009

I only negotiate a payment for my travel time if it is a significant amount of travel. In some cases, I simply increase my half-day rate, or charge full-day where the job actually takes half-day.

Not so long ago, I did two jobs in San Diego. In both cases, I negotiated with the agency to be paid $35 per hour of travel on top of my regular fees.

The basic rule that I follow when negotiating my fee is: what is the minimum price that will make it worth my while to do th
... See more
I only negotiate a payment for my travel time if it is a significant amount of travel. In some cases, I simply increase my half-day rate, or charge full-day where the job actually takes half-day.

Not so long ago, I did two jobs in San Diego. In both cases, I negotiated with the agency to be paid $35 per hour of travel on top of my regular fees.

The basic rule that I follow when negotiating my fee is: what is the minimum price that will make it worth my while to do the job? After I have answered this question to myself, I try to negotiate a little bit above that, but not to much above, as I certainly don't want to price myself out of market.

Happy New Year to you!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment for travelling

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »