Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Thinking About Becoming an Interpreter...
Thread poster: vibrantjade
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:13
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Better.... for you! Apr 1, 2009

John Farebrother wrote:
better than translation

Yes, it could be better than translation... for you! Interpretation and translation are very different activities in my opinion. Neither of them is "better" than the other. It simply depends on what you enjoy doing in life.

hfp
hfp
United States
Local time: 18:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
corrections and court interpreting Apr 2, 2009

Petra Ivanova wrote:

I have been full-time interpreter after I graduated from a foreign language school abroad. I wanted to do a perfect job, and since most of my translations were technical, I decided to study engineering. I graduated with an MS in mechanical engineering, and had to work as engineer because education was state-supported and it was an obligation to work in the major after the university. However, my heart was with languages. Now I live in USA, and am looking how to return to my interpreter & translation job that I used to love. And I loved it for a reason: I was a prefered interpreter and it soudned like music to my ears when I used to hear: "We want Petra to interpret (or translate)." Another reason I loved my job was the opportunity to interact with people (some of them very interesting). I started to do translations as a second job working as freelance for the local Language Service Bureau.
I have an extensive collection of dictionaries, and still go to Internet when I have to research a term (technology keeps adding new challanges). I have bookmarked on my computer some interesting sites with dictionaries, not talking about searching by Yahoo and Google.
I will love to be a full-time interpreter again! Good luck to you!

Just a few corrections. Your English is very good by the way. --> "Now I live in USA" We say "Now I live in the USA." Actually people in America wouldn't normally say "USA", but "US"/United States/America/the States". "USA" sounds like the Oympic Games.
"and still go to Internet" --> You can say "and still use the Internet"

vibrantjade, go for it. Especially if you enjoy speaking both languages. What kind of interpreting are you interested in? There are several court interpreting exams you can take to help get you going. Depending on which state you live in, you can research the court interpreting exam for that state, and/or check into the Federal Court Interpreter Certification Examination if you are already pretty confident in your abilities.

[Edited at 2009-04-02 22:46 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thinking About Becoming an Interpreter...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »