https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/95839-esit_paris_or_eti_geneva-page2.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
ESIT (Paris) or ETI (Geneva)?
Thread poster: scuba19
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:44
Flemish to English
+ ...
Black or white view.... Dec 6, 2008

"ETI", founded in 1941 is the "mother of all interpreter schools", which catered for to the need for interpreters after WWII. Their first graduates interpreted at Nürnberg.
--*-*-
From an infrastructure point of view,
I prefer ETI: modern white building which does not look as a university at all, but like the entrance hall of a big multinational corporation.
The Sorbonne is an old building, where when I aksed at the entrance, the doorman did not know where the school w
... See more
"ETI", founded in 1941 is the "mother of all interpreter schools", which catered for to the need for interpreters after WWII. Their first graduates interpreted at Nürnberg.
--*-*-
From an infrastructure point of view,
I prefer ETI: modern white building which does not look as a university at all, but like the entrance hall of a big multinational corporation.
The Sorbonne is an old building, where when I aksed at the entrance, the doorman did not know where the school was.
-*-*-*-
It strikes me when asked which is the best, the German interpreter schools like Germersheim and others are left out. Perhaps because most students/respondents do not have German as A. Whatever Germany produces stands for quality.

All interpreter schools offer more or less the same. Part of which is best does not depend upn the school alone, but upon you: their final product.
After that, it is selling yourself on the market when you graduate which is important.

[Edited at 2008-12-06 18:36 GMT]
Collapse

Saphadi (X)
Saphadi (X)
Local time: 01:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
ETI vs. ESIT Jun 17, 2011

I have studied translation and conference interpreting at ESIT and I can say that it was certainly not easy and even a traumatizing experience.

ESIT Lacks appropriate infrastructure (3 computers in the so called library), teachers are weird, arrogant and disdainful towards students (especially interpreting teachers), you are permanently under pressure because they make you think that you will never be as good as them, but luckily, I made it. Of course, not all teachers were mean bu
... See more
I have studied translation and conference interpreting at ESIT and I can say that it was certainly not easy and even a traumatizing experience.

ESIT Lacks appropriate infrastructure (3 computers in the so called library), teachers are weird, arrogant and disdainful towards students (especially interpreting teachers), you are permanently under pressure because they make you think that you will never be as good as them, but luckily, I made it. Of course, not all teachers were mean but the majority was. I also have to admit that some teachers were extremely professional, talented and respectful towards their students and those are the ones who made me stay at ESIT, otherwise I would have moved to Geneva if I had enough financial resources.

Many of my colleagues studied at ETI and they are all happy about it: perfect infrastructure (a huge library that I saw when I went to Geneva), teachers are professional and encouraging, etc. One of my friends even left ESIT for ETI and never regretted it. Moreover, most of my colleagues at the UN are from ETI, which means that ETI graduates are apparently more successful in the UN competitive exams.This can be explained by the other huge advantage of ET compared to ESIT: it is in Geneva where many International organizations have their HQs and offices, which means that you are sure to have the chance to do your training in a professional environment, and above all, you are sure to get a well paid job even before you graduate.
Collapse

ratatuha
ratatuha
Slovenian to English
+ ...
Studying at ETI with Slovenian as mother tongue? Oct 16, 2011

Hello

Im a third year ba student of english and spanish from slovenia. currently im doing my year abroad in spain and in the meanwhile im slowly starting to look for master degrees in translation/interpretation. my biggest wish is to study on ETI, but...is it even possible if none of their 'official' languages is my mother tongue? is it possible to study translation anywhere abroad at all? i highly doubt there is an option of slovenian anywhere but in slovenia...
See more
Hello

Im a third year ba student of english and spanish from slovenia. currently im doing my year abroad in spain and in the meanwhile im slowly starting to look for master degrees in translation/interpretation. my biggest wish is to study on ETI, but...is it even possible if none of their 'official' languages is my mother tongue? is it possible to study translation anywhere abroad at all? i highly doubt there is an option of slovenian anywhere but in slovenia i understand that the best is to translate into your mother tongue, but in my country that's unfortunatelly impossible for me...

thank you
Collapse

ratatuha, well unfortunately... Oct 24, 2011

unfortunately it looks like ETI doesnt have slovenian in its offered language combinations (at least for the masters in interpretation)

see: http://www.unige.ch/traduction-interpretation/enseignements/formations/ma-interpretation_en.html

but if you were willing to pick up german or italian, you might be able to cons
... See more
unfortunately it looks like ETI doesnt have slovenian in its offered language combinations (at least for the masters in interpretation)

see: http://www.unige.ch/traduction-interpretation/enseignements/formations/ma-interpretation_en.html

but if you were willing to pick up german or italian, you might be able to consider the Karls-Franzens-Universität Graz, in Austria, or the university of trieste, in Italy.

There's sure to be other universities that offer slovenian in their combinations. good luck
Collapse

mike kelly
mike kelly
ESIT - teachers shout at tudents and insult them?? Dec 21, 2011

The other approach is just the opposite, interpreters are made, not born. This approach highlights the fact that most interpreting skills are acquired by practice (lots of, anyway) hence the program should focus on the acquisition of those skills. This approach then takes into account the potential that you might have to develop those skills and become a good interpreter.

In any case, both approaches agree in that native and near native domain of your working languages are preferred
... See more
The other approach is just the opposite, interpreters are made, not born. This approach highlights the fact that most interpreting skills are acquired by practice (lots of, anyway) hence the program should focus on the acquisition of those skills. This approach then takes into account the potential that you might have to develop those skills and become a good interpreter.

In any case, both approaches agree in that native and near native domain of your working languages are preferred requisites before starting interpreter training.

Teachers shout at students? Are you serious? How can that be considered to be a serious schoool?
Collapse

Linda Herrmann
Linda Herrmann
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Can you give me some advice on the admission exams? Feb 4, 2012

Hi Erika,

I've applied to Geneva this year and I'll attend the written exams in March.

Can you give me any advice on these? I've obviously read all the docs which the uni provides but can you give me some more details?

All the best,

Linda

Aleyna Tusa
Aleyna Tusa  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
ETI exams (bis) Jan 11, 2013

Hi everyone,

Happy new year! I'm going to echo Linda's question from last year, which didn't receive a response, but I'll cross my fingers.

I would like to know if anyone has advice for preparing for the ETI exams? I have four months to prepare, and would like to develop a weekly schedule to practice different components, so any advice is greatly appreciated. I've seen other forum discussions regarding developing interpreting skills, but I was wondering if anyone had
... See more
Hi everyone,

Happy new year! I'm going to echo Linda's question from last year, which didn't receive a response, but I'll cross my fingers.

I would like to know if anyone has advice for preparing for the ETI exams? I have four months to prepare, and would like to develop a weekly schedule to practice different components, so any advice is greatly appreciated. I've seen other forum discussions regarding developing interpreting skills, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice specifically for exam prep?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ESIT (Paris) or ETI (Geneva)?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »