interpreting and translation(Diplomacy) in Westminster University
Thread poster: seven7374
seven7374
seven7374
Local time: 16:49
Chinese to English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2008

Dear all, I was admitted by the course of MA in interpreting and translation (Diplomacy) recently.

I am wondering if this program is worthy of studying by spending so much money. I know the other program of MA in Conference interpreting is a pretty tough and excellent program. How about this one, then?

Since this program is not awarded of EMCI certificate, what can I do if I really hope to work in EU?

Thank you all for providing me some advice!

Alana Quintyne
Alana Quintyne  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:49
French to English
+ ...
Talk to a past student Mar 3, 2008

The best thing to do in a case like this (what I would do anyway) would be to talk to a current student or a past student about the course itself and the options available after graduation. Email one of the lecturers, ask an opinion and then get a name of a student/past student and ask loads of questions. The answers should help you to make an informed decision. You'd probably end up working on the private market or at the UN though.

[Edited at 2008-03-03 21:58]

mmihano4 (X)
mmihano4 (X)
Local time: 17:49
English to Croatian
+ ...
language combination Mar 3, 2008

what is your language combination?
interpreting school at westminster is very strict, many students don't pass the final examination and don't get their EMCI degree (and lose the money they paid for the course)
only certain laguage combinations are admitted to interpreting course. if they cannot offer teachers for your language combinations, then you won't be able to enroll.

seven7374
seven7374
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Mar 4, 2008

First of all, thank you for your advice!
I will try to connect with the teachers or students in Westminster to get the answers.

My language combination is Chinese A, EnglishB, and Japanese C.

I am sure the combination is offered in Westminster.

However, since the program I got admission does not offer EMCI certificate, and somehow slightly differs from CIT, I really want to know if the program is as highly recommanded as CIT program.

Than
... See more
First of all, thank you for your advice!
I will try to connect with the teachers or students in Westminster to get the answers.

My language combination is Chinese A, EnglishB, and Japanese C.

I am sure the combination is offered in Westminster.

However, since the program I got admission does not offer EMCI certificate, and somehow slightly differs from CIT, I really want to know if the program is as highly recommanded as CIT program.

Thank you!
Collapse

Aymeric de Poyen Bellisle (X)
Aymeric de Poyen Bellisle (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
To work for the EU : CIT Mar 21, 2008

Hello,

Only the CIT graduates are awarded the EMCI.
At Westminster, CIT is the only program that trains you to become a conference interpreter. As far as I know, the MA in interpreting and translation will at best include a lot of translating and an introduction to simultaneous interpreting.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

interpreting and translation(Diplomacy) in Westminster University

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »