Thread poster: Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 5, 2008

I am currently working as the main interpreter at a U.S. deposition in an ITC case and I think the check interpreter has been behaving improperly. Does anyone have links to authoritative websites that talk about how a check interpreter should conduct him/herself? California certified interpreter ethics rules apply in this case. The rules at courtinfo.ca.gov are not specific enough.

Thank you.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
What Mar 5, 2008

What is ITC (acronym)?

What is a "check interpreter"?

What is this improper behavior you think this "check interpreter" has been engaging in?

Why would California certified interpreter ethics rules apply in this case?

Answer all those and maybe someone can help you here...

Yongmei Liu
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ITC Mar 5, 2008

ITC is the International Trade Commission.

California rules apply because the check interpreter is certified in the State of California.

I do not wish to discuss the specifics of the possible violations but simply want to know what the proper conduct should be.

Thanks for dropping by.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:17
English to Spanish
Main interpreter and check interpreter Mar 5, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

What is a "check interpreter"?

Henry, it seems a check interpreter is a second interpreter whose job is to "check" the main interpreter's renditions. I've never seen it used here in FL.
-----------------------------------------

Yongmei, if the same code and rules apply to both interpreters, you being one of them, it should be clear to you what constitutes improper behavior in the light of that code and rules.

If the rules are not "specific enough" to provide a straight answer, and if you do not wish to share details about the behavior, then you will have to figure it out for yourself.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:47
German to English
Check interpreter Mar 5, 2008

Do you mean a Czech interpreter or an interpreter who checks on all the other interpreters?

Although I do not know the answer to your question, I would also be interested in knowing what a "check interpreter" is.

Sorry, I didn't see Luisa's post.

[Edited at 2008-03-05 12:38]

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:17
Dutch to English
+ ...
Blind Man's Buff Mar 5, 2008

Would you go to your doctor, refuse to give him your symptoms, and then expect him to guess what's wrong with you?

Same here, I'm afraid. If you don't supply details and examples, no-one can really help you.

Atena Hensch
Atena Hensch  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 07:17
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
unprofessional behaviour Mar 5, 2008

Here in Christchurch - New Zealand, we have some problems with some of our interpreters regarding their unprofessional behaviors. One of the thing we realized that our constitution is not covering so many different areas. So, we are in the process of rewriting and changing some parts of our constitution and also we realized that unprofessional interpreters are usually those people who do not attend at any professional development courses. I know this is not the answer to your questions but I agr... See more
Here in Christchurch - New Zealand, we have some problems with some of our interpreters regarding their unprofessional behaviors. One of the thing we realized that our constitution is not covering so many different areas. So, we are in the process of rewriting and changing some parts of our constitution and also we realized that unprofessional interpreters are usually those people who do not attend at any professional development courses. I know this is not the answer to your questions but I agree that you need to look at the constitution.

Talk to someone at your organization who acts as a "liaison officer" or dealing with complaint or debate.

Atena
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Blind Man's Buff II Mar 5, 2008

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Would you go to your doctor, refuse to give him your symptoms, and then expect him to guess what's wrong with you?

Same here, I'm afraid. If you don't supply details and examples, no-one can really help you.

Would you go to see a doctor you have never spoken to before and ask her/him to tell you how a fit and healty person should feel, so you can take you own decision as to whether or not you are suffering from an in-grown toe-nail?

That said, the mere fact that the check interpreter's interpretation of the 'rules of the game' differ from your own suggests that one of you - and possibly both - are playing off-side. If you're absolutely sure it's not you, then one solution is to lodge a formal complaint against the other person ... and see what happens.

MediaMatrix

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:17
Italian to Russian
+ ...
The Appointor should know the rules and the ethics Mar 5, 2008

I think a check interpreter could have been appointed to speed up the deposition ? If a second interpreter may talk or otherwise act during the hearing, then the Appointor might have established such rules, imho.
However it is interesting, a kind of novelty.
Yongmei Liu, please share. Thanks

[Edited at 2008-03-06 00:15]

Yongmei Liu
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wish the moderator could step in Mar 6, 2008

The attacks on me are uncalled for.

My question is obviously directed to those who are familiar with interpretation rules in the U.S., not those who do not know what a check interpreter is.

Irene Schlotter, Dipl.-Übers.
Irene Schlotter, Dipl.-Übers.
Spain
Local time: 21:17
English to German
+ ...
Which attacks? Mar 6, 2008

Hello Yongmei,
I believe you are overreacting. Which attacks are you referring to? My colleagues are right if they prompt you to share more details on this issue. If you do not explain a little more in detail what you understood to be improper behaviour you cannot expect feedback from the community who is actually trying to help. Also, using common sense it seems only logical to ask whether different rules apply to the main interpreter and the check interpreter. And please - do not be so
... See more
Hello Yongmei,
I believe you are overreacting. Which attacks are you referring to? My colleagues are right if they prompt you to share more details on this issue. If you do not explain a little more in detail what you understood to be improper behaviour you cannot expect feedback from the community who is actually trying to help. Also, using common sense it seems only logical to ask whether different rules apply to the main interpreter and the check interpreter. And please - do not be so harsh on others who may not be aquainted with certain terminology from the interpretation area. Each of us learns new things by the minute and even though asking for a definition of 'check interpreter' is not really related to the topic raised by you it does not cause any major problems either. It is all about language and language-related issues, really.
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree with Irene. Mar 6, 2008

I really don't think anyone has been rude at all, Yongmei. Perhaps this is a matter of cultural misinterpretation? I'm sorry that no one has been able to be helpful with your request, but truly, you didn't give much information. So far, it seems, no one who has read the thread has ever heard of the term "check interpreter," so I suspect that it is not in common usage.

However, I did a simple Google search. Most of the results did not apply (things like "be sure to check interpreter's rendition"), but I did find one interesting link that might be helpful to you, at least tangentially:

http://www.japaneseinterpreter.com/check_interpreter.html

We all wish you well. I'm sure no one meant to offend you. By the way, if you want help from a moderator, just look at the bottom of the forum page, where you will find a clickable link to a moderator to whom you can send an email describing your concern. It says, "call to this topic."

Good luck with your difficult situation. I respect your desire to keep the details confidential, but truly, it's hard for us to comment or advise when we don't know what this person's job is or what he or she is doing that seems wrong to you.

Cordially,
Jane

[Edited at 2008-03-06 11:22]
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:47
German to English
Sorry, Yongmei Mar 7, 2008

Dear Yongmei,

I certainly did not mean to attack you with my comments. Sorry for any misunderstandings. I had a client who always used to write "check" for "Czech", so when I saw "check interpreter" it made me think of that! I do realise I was straying from the topic.

I sincerely hope you find a solution to your problem. Meanwhile have good weekend and relax!

Best regards,
Niraja

Junhui Park
Junhui Park  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Korean
+ ...
A check interpreter should give you notes Oct 20, 2020

A check interpreter should not object to your interpreting directly, but give you notes during the break, so that you can consider them and correct mistakes on your own. If this is over Zoom, the check interpreter can send a note to you using Chat function. In a civil deposition, the attorney who hired the check interpreter tends to ask the interpreter to raise objections, and some interpreters raise unnecessary objections on the record to please her customer, but it would not be proper for an... See more
A check interpreter should not object to your interpreting directly, but give you notes during the break, so that you can consider them and correct mistakes on your own. If this is over Zoom, the check interpreter can send a note to you using Chat function. In a civil deposition, the attorney who hired the check interpreter tends to ask the interpreter to raise objections, and some interpreters raise unnecessary objections on the record to please her customer, but it would not be proper for an interpreter to be on one side in a dispute. On the other hand, interpreters are humans and make mistakes, so a check interpreter should make sure that no serious mistakes are made. Sometimes when an interpreter community is very small, other interpreters can put pressure on you to go easy on other interpreters, but you should be able to point it out when there are serious misinterpretation, even risking your relationship with the other interpreter.Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Franco Rigoni

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible improper behavior of a check interpreter

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »