ingrid devanne
France
Local time: 13:35
Member (2018)
English to French
+ ...
Jul 22, 2020

Hello !

I am a French translator (european) and I was wondering if any British/American/Canadian/Australian translator would be interested in getting in touch for linguistic skill exchange.
By this, I mean it happens when I am translating that I get stuck on a sentence because I definitely don't get it. In that case, I often think that it would be great if I could ask a native if he/she could help. And I also think that he/she could be in the same situation and could also need
... See more
Hello !

I am a French translator (european) and I was wondering if any British/American/Canadian/Australian translator would be interested in getting in touch for linguistic skill exchange.
By this, I mean it happens when I am translating that I get stuck on a sentence because I definitely don't get it. In that case, I often think that it would be great if I could ask a native if he/she could help. And I also think that he/she could be in the same situation and could also need my help.
Anyway, I don't know if my post is off-topic, but I hope not.
In case anyone would be interested and could use my French skills too, just contact me via this forum.
I wish you all a great day,
Ingrid
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Édith Koumtoudji

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 12:35
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ingrid, Jul 22, 2020

in order to get help with a term in your linguistic combination, you need to go to:

kudoz

I hope it helps!

Aline Amorim

ingrid devanne
ingrid devanne
France
Member (2018)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Skill Exchange Jul 22, 2020

Hello,

Thanks for your answer but that's not my point.
I am not looking for a specific term translation but more for English-speaking translators who could help and whom I could help when needed.
Best regards,
Ingrid

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe I misunderstood you Jul 22, 2020

ingrid devanne wrote:
By this, I mean it happens when I am translating that I get stuck on a sentence because I definitely don't get it. In that case, I often think that it would be great if I could ask a native if he/she could help. And I also think that he/she could be in the same situation and could also need my help.

The Terminology section is intended for that purpose, but maybe I misunderstood you.
You can try:
https://www.proz.com/?sp=exchange
or
https://www.proz.com/pools/native-speaker-conversation-partners
I am not aware of any "services" other than these ones.

Yolanda Broad

ingrid devanne
ingrid devanne
France
Member (2018)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Hello again,

Actually I posted on the general forum and the moderator told me to post here.
As explained, I am just trying to get in touch with translators to ask them questions when I am stuck with a term and to offer my French skills when they are stuck.
Not through a forum or anything, just as contacts that you can get in touch with whenever you need a hand. To put it in a nutshell, 'translator-pals'... See more
Hello again,

As explained, I am just trying to get in touch with translators to ask them questions when I am stuck with a term and to offer my French skills when they are stuck.
Not through a forum or anything, just as contacts that you can get in touch with whenever you need a hand. To put it in a nutshell, 'translator-pals'

Hope I am clear...
Best regards,
Ingrid
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, you were clear Jul 22, 2020

I believe we can get these kind of contacts over the years and with interaction in the forums, but I believe this is a good start to get your translator pals through this post.
Best of luck!
Kind regards,
Sandra

Elizabeth Tamblin

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I wonder if you misread the intention Jul 22, 2020

ingrid devanne wrote:

I think they probably intended you to post a specific query on KudoZ (https://www.proz.com/ask) rather than using the forum about KudoZ .

Not through a forum or anything, just as contacts that you can get in touch with whenever you need a hand. To put it in a nutshell, 'translator-pals'

If it belongs anywhere, this belongs here: https://www.proz.com/?sp=exchange

expressisverbis
Yolanda Broad
Jorge Payan

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sheila, Jul 22, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:

ingrid devanne wrote:

I think they probably intended you to post a specific query on KudoZ (https://www.proz.com/ask) rather than using the forum about KudoZ .

If it belongs anywhere, this belongs here: https://www.proz.com/?sp=exchange

That's what I have pointed out before, but it seems it doesn't apply to what Ingrid needs.

Sheila Wilson
ingrid devanne

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
I think it's a great idea Jul 22, 2020

Count me in!

expressisverbis

ingrid devanne
ingrid devanne
France
Member (2018)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Hi,

Oh great thanks for answering Elizabeth ! I'm happy you think it's a good idea
Kind regards,
Ingrid

Édith Koumtoudji
Édith Koumtoudji  Identity Verified
South Africa
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
I'm interested! Jul 30, 2020

Hi Ingrid

I hope my reply is not too late. I like your idea so please, feel free to contact me.

Bonne journée.

Édith F.

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Nice idea! Jul 30, 2020

Why not? (I'm as British as they come, language-wise.)

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:35
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
For a term question, you can always use Kudoz Jul 30, 2020

It seems you were looking for peer translators that would be willing to help you when you have a hard time understanding a sentence in your source file, and you will do the same in return.

However, do you really have such a need very often? In my more than 20 years of practice, I rarely had such a need. Maybe once or twice in total. I may need help more often in expressing a word/phrase/concept properly in my target language than in understanding a word/phrase/concept in my source l
... See more
It seems you were looking for peer translators that would be willing to help you when you have a hard time understanding a sentence in your source file, and you will do the same in return.

However, do you really have such a need very often? In my more than 20 years of practice, I rarely had such a need. Maybe once or twice in total. I may need help more often in expressing a word/phrase/concept properly in my target language than in understanding a word/phrase/concept in my source language.

[Edited at 2020-07-30 22:54 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Skill Exchange

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »