TranslateOnLinux (new wiki)
Thread poster: Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Apr 8, 2018

Hello,

I have created a wiki (TranslateOnLinux) with tools for professional translators running GNU/Linux.

Comments are welcome.

Jean

Philippe Locquet

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Deleted Apr 8, 2018

[Edited at 2018-04-09 05:32 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Intended readership Apr 9, 2018

Many solutions mentioned in TranslateOnLinux are cross-platform or online tools, so they should work on MacOS too.

The situation may be quite similar, but it has enough differences to warrant a separate list/guide specifically targeted at translators running MacOS. Maybe someone should devise one.

If Mac users find the list useful, all the better. But the intended readership has been clearly defined: professional translators running GNU/Linux.

Let's keep it
... See more
Many solutions mentioned in TranslateOnLinux are cross-platform or online tools, so they should work on MacOS too.

The situation may be quite similar, but it has enough differences to warrant a separate list/guide specifically targeted at translators running MacOS. Maybe someone should devise one.

If Mac users find the list useful, all the better. But the intended readership has been clearly defined: professional translators running GNU/Linux.

Let's keep it that way in the rest of this thread.

Thanks,

Jean
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TranslateOnLinux.org Jul 31, 2018

Hello,

The TranslateOnLinux wiki now has its own domain: https://translateonlinux.org

Jean

[Edited at 2018-07-31 06:52 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TranslateOnLinux updated Nov 5, 2019

TranslateOnLinux.org has received various updates (notable changes described in the end of the online document).

Any feedback from existing or prospective GNU/Linux users is welcome.

Bruno Veilleux
Bruno Veilleux  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:23
English to French
Impressive list! Feb 18, 2020

Impressive list! Most of the agencies I work with have their own browser-based CAT requirements, so I don't have much to contribute that is Linux-specific.

The section link to Language/Grammar checkers/Writing aids is broken; it points to "#language-grammar-checkers-writing-aids" but the header's id is "languagegrammar-checkerswriting-aids". The link to Speech recognition is also broken; I suggest looking through the list, I suspect your table of contents was auto-
... See more
Impressive list! Most of the agencies I work with have their own browser-based CAT requirements, so I don't have much to contribute that is Linux-specific.

The section link to Language/Grammar checkers/Writing aids is broken; it points to "#language-grammar-checkers-writing-aids" but the header's id is "languagegrammar-checkerswriting-aids". The link to Speech recognition is also broken; I suggest looking through the list, I suspect your table of contents was auto-generated and tripped over special characters in your headers.

As a suggestion for productivity tools, Ibus-Typing-Booster is a good one to save time and reduce strain/RSI with word prediction. I haven't had much success getting it to play nice with Mint & Cinnamon (my current setup), but it works out of the box with Fedora (tested in a VM).
http://mike-fabian.github.io/ibus-typing-booster/index.html

For unit conversion, I simply use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine in Firefox, so simply typing e.g. "10 mi to km" or "10 mi km" in the address bar returns DDG's conversion result.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
  Feb 18, 2020

Thank you for the feedback, Bruno

I have fixed the Table of contents issue and added ibus-typing-booster under Productivity tools selection. I will try to install it on my Ubuntu-based distro, although there is no readily available package for it.

Cheers!

Jean

[Edited at 2020-02-18 09:44 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TranslateOnLinux update Nov 23, 2021

TranslateOnLinux.org content has been updated and broken links were fixed.

Some notable changes include:
- Swordfish VI and all maxprograms.com applications are now open source and free to use (with optional paid subscription for binaries and support).
- MateCat sports an aligner.
- MateCat filters removed (no longer offered as Open Source).
- Recommended markdown editors/viewers: Typora, Zettlr, Obs
... See more
TranslateOnLinux.org content has been updated and broken links were fixed.

Some notable changes include:
- Swordfish VI and all maxprograms.com applications are now open source and free to use (with optional paid subscription for binaries and support).
- MateCat sports an aligner.
- MateCat filters removed (no longer offered as Open Source).
- Recommended markdown editors/viewers: Typora, Zettlr, Obsidian.
- Google Docs now offers Microsoft Office editing.

Cheers!

Jean
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Wow Nov 24, 2021

This is a very exciting update! Thank you Jean.

Jean Dimitriadis
Mr. Satan (X)

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CafeTran Espresso's TTS feature Nov 25, 2021

Another exciting update I forgot to mention is the introduction of CafeTran Espresso's Text to Speech (TTS) feature, based on Amazon Polly service. Many supported languages, both for source and target segments.

Bruno Veilleux
Bruno Veilleux  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:23
English to French
TOC links Nov 25, 2021

The TOC links for "Speech recognition (STT)" and "Text-to-speech (TTS)", and possibly others, are broken

Man I wish Dragon made a Linux version. RSI isn’t getting any easier to work with.

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TOC and STT Nov 25, 2021

Bruno Veilleux wrote:

The TOC links for "Speech recognition (STT)" and "Text-to-speech (TTS)", and possibly others, are broken

Man I wish Dragon made a Linux version. RSI isn’t getting any easier to work with.

Thanks! TOC links with parentheses don't seem to be supported in GitHub Pages. I will try to find a fix…

With MacOS and Windows offering STT out of the box (and Dragon availability), this is certainly a feature that is sorely missing in Linux…

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Swordfish etc.: binaries are not free-as-in-beer; must build yourself for free distribution/use Nov 26, 2021

An important note regarding the open source status of Swordfish and other Maxprograms software: the binaries offered by the vendor are NOT free. To use and/or distribute the software for free, you need to build it yourself. The short instructions are on the Github page. Also note that the system requirements for building are not specified; in some cases, they can be much higher in terms of RAM and CPU power than those for using the software. (Not sure about this specific case.)

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Swordfish Nov 26, 2021

Hi Artem,

As I wrote, Swordfish is "open source and free [for personal] use (with optional paid subscription for binaries and support)".

It is free as in free beer, with the caveat that you still need to download the source and build the binary. But this really is not such a big deal.

The short instructions outline all the required steps to build the binaries on your (Linux) system.

I hadn't built binaries from source in a while, but I just tri
... See more
Hi Artem,

As I wrote, Swordfish is "open source and free [for personal] use (with optional paid subscription for binaries and support)".

It is free as in free beer, with the caveat that you still need to download the source and build the binary. But this really is not such a big deal.

The short instructions outline all the required steps to build the binaries on your (Linux) system.

I hadn't built binaries from source in a while, but I just tried it, and once I all prerequisites were met, the building itself step took 2 minutes on a modest laptop.

I will create a separate thread for this and add more details on the building process, sharing a link to it in TranslateOnLinux.

Note: The building can also be done on Windows 10/11 via WLS (Windows Subsystem for Linux), another important development in the Linux front (for Windows users).

[Edited at 2021-11-26 15:46 GMT]
Collapse

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you Jean Nov 26, 2021

Thank you Jean for the clarification and for creating a separate thread!

Jean Dimitriadis

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TranslateOnLinux (new wiki)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »