Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How to insert line breaks inside target segments?
Thread poster: Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:55
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 19, 2012

I need to insert line breaks in some segments. How do I do that?

Is there for instance some sort of tag or combination of special symbols that I can write and that will be converted to a proper line break (when the translation is exported to the target document)?

(This is due to some special client instructions I have; the client wants me to add some line breaks to the translation that don't exist in the source text.)

Thomas

Laure-Anais Perich

Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:55
English to Chinese
+ ...
What a great question Dec 19, 2012

This is what I would like to know, too. Any answers are appreciated.

best regards,
Donglai

Laure-Anais Perich

Shiya Luo
Shiya Luo  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:55
English to Chinese
+ ...
I'm not sure if it's MemoQ specific... Dec 19, 2012

I think it has to do with your source/target file format.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You need a tag Dec 19, 2012

I do not think you can simply add a line break in a target segment. In my opinion you need a tag that will do the trick in the target file.

Just in case there is something we can come up with: are you delivering a bilingual file or a translated file in the customer's original format? If a bilingual, what format is it in and what was its original file format?

Carl Carter
Carl Carter
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Insert a suitable tag from another segment Dec 19, 2012

As Tomás says, you can copy a tag that represents a line break from another source (or target) segment in the translation grid. You'll need to check the original file to see where a line break occurs and then go to the corresponding spot in memoQ's translation grid once you've imported the file into the program.

You will probably have to copy the tag into the source segment as well as the target segment, otherwise memoQ will tell you there's a "tag mismatch" and won't let you expor
... See more
As Tomás says, you can copy a tag that represents a line break from another source (or target) segment in the translation grid. You'll need to check the original file to see where a line break occurs and then go to the corresponding spot in memoQ's translation grid once you've imported the file into the program.

You will probably have to copy the tag into the source segment as well as the target segment, otherwise memoQ will tell you there's a "tag mismatch" and won't let you export the file. To do that, which counts as editing the source text, press F2 and the source segment will turn green.

I'm not sure if there's another way of doing it - using an HTML tag (i.e.
) might work, too. I think someone mentioned this once on Yahoo!'s memoQ mailing list, which you could also ask your question on.

Hope that helps.

Carl
Collapse

Thomas Johansson
Peru
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translated Word file Dec 19, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Just in case there is something we can come up with: are you delivering a bilingual file or a translated file in the customer's original format? If a bilingual, what format is it in and what was its original file format?

I'm delivering a translated target file. Both source file and target file is a Word document.

Thomas Johansson
Peru
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
copying line breaks from source not possible Dec 19, 2012

Carl Carter wrote:

you can copy a tag that represents a line break from another source (or target) segment in the translation grid.

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm translating a Word file and line break metatags are not displayed in Word documents.
I tried copying a line break from a Word document into a segment right now, but it appears nothing happened.
The line breaks from the source file are not seen in the source segments in memoQ since memoQ uses those line breaks as dividing points for the segmentation (i.e. the line breaks fall outside the scope of the segments).
If the source document had been HTML, the situation would have been different; then I could just insert HTML's BR tag wherever.

Ideally - as a suggestion to memoQ developers - there should be a set of file-format-neutral tag strings available in memoQ to allow insertion of formatting elements like line breaks, tabs etc., for instance strings like "__BREAK__", "__TAB__", etc. Or you could invent whatever strings you like to represent these elements or allow the user to customize such strings for each project to avoid conflicts with the source text. At the time of exporting, these tags would be converted to the corresponding metatags of the appropriate target file format.

To illustrate the problem:

In my case, I need to translate 41 Word files. Each file has 1 heading and possibly an additional subheading. The client's instructions are to maintain the original heading/subheading while adding the corresponding Swedish translation at a new line.

For instance:

--Source: 1-line heading such as--

Customer Account

--Target: Should be 2 lines like thus--

Customer Account
Kundkonto

Here, there is a line break between "Customer Account" and "Kundkonto".

In present circumstances this means that I will need to open each target file after export and manually insert the line breaks in each. If later I decide to make a few changes throughout the project, say, changing a few central terms, I will need to repeat this entire process after each new export. Luckily, it's just 41 files in my case, since I'm only doing part of the project, but if it had been the entire project, it would have been more than 200 files.

Best,

Thomas

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
use Word find and replace Dec 20, 2012

Hi Thomas,

I don't believe you can always add a line break in memoQ. What I'd do is use a string like %%%%%% and use search-replace in Word to convert it into a line break (I think it's possible).

Best regards,
István

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Dec 20, 2012

István Lengyel wrote:
I don't believe you can always add a line break in memoQ. What I'd do is use a string like %%%%%% and use search-replace in Word to convert it into a line break (I think it's possible).

This is definitely what we would do, and in fact do with some customers. I wanted to make sure that the deliverable is a Word file.

Thomas Johansson
Peru
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.. Dec 20, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

István Lengyel wrote:

This is definitely what we would do, and in fact do with some customers. I wanted to make sure that the deliverable is a Word file.

Yeah, that's the solution I used in the end (though I just inserted "&&".)

The only hassle with this solution is that I need to open each one of those 41 files to do this, and I will need to repeat the process each time if I make changes to the files later and need to re-export them...

Best,

Thomas

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Keyboard combination? Dec 21, 2012

István Lengyel wrote:

I don't believe you can always add a line break in memoQ.

Doesn't a combination of shift+Enter work like in Word? Most Word keyboard shortcuts work in Trados Studio (toggle between upper and lower case with shift+F3, add a non-breaking shift with ctrl+shift+space, etc.). I'm surprised that this isn't the case in MemoQ.

Laure-Anais Perich

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 13:55
English to Chinese
This would be my Christmas wish Dec 21, 2012

Hi Istvan,

I hope this feature (Shift+Enter to add a line break) request can still make it in time for this Christmas, along with the number auto-substitution I have requested repeatedly.

And thank you, Emma, for pointing out this keyboard combination. I did not realize it is available in Studio:)

Chun-yi

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

István Lengyel wrote:

I don't believe you can always add a line break in memoQ.

Doesn't a combination of shift+Enter work like in Word? Most Word keyboard shortcuts work in Trados Studio (toggle between upper and lower case with shift+F3, add a non-breaking shift with ctrl+shift+space, etc.). I'm surprised that this isn't the case in MemoQ.

Thomas Johansson
Peru
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no Dec 22, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Doesn't a combination of shift+Enter work like in Word?

Tried it now, doesn't work. But it's a good idea and I support Chun-yis request for this feature to be incorporated.

Thomas

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:55
English to Turkish
+ ...
is it a bug in Studio? Dec 22, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

You can add line breaks in Studio but can you export all files? I guess no problem with Word files but what about xml, idml or other tagged files.

Selcuk

Tom45 (X)
Tom45 (X)
Running a post-processing macro upon file export Dec 22, 2012

>>The only hassle with this solution is that I need to open each one of those 41 files to do this, and I will need to repeat the process each time if I make changes to the files later and need to re-export them...

One possible solution would be to run a generic post-processing macro on every file that is exported, either triggered by mQ itself or by a third-party file/folder watchdog (Macro Toolworks, AutoHotkey, Auto-it, etc.) Word can be started with a macro that has to be execute
... See more
>>The only hassle with this solution is that I need to open each one of those 41 files to do this, and I will need to repeat the process each time if I make changes to the files later and need to re-export them...

One possible solution would be to run a generic post-processing macro on every file that is exported, either triggered by mQ itself or by a third-party file/folder watchdog (Macro Toolworks, AutoHotkey, Auto-it, etc.) Word can be started with a macro that has to be executed, from the command line (macro-wise). Same solution also possible on Macs with Word:mac.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to insert line breaks inside target segments?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »