Thread poster: Claire Fumoleau-Itani
Claire Fumoleau-Itani
Claire Fumoleau-Itani  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:54
English to French
+ ...
Jul 23, 2014

Hello,

Before posting this topic, I have watched memoQ's training video "How to set segmentation rules"... Yet I still don't know how to simply add a comma, colon and semi-colon to the main #end# rule!
However, after reading some answers to questions about memoQ's RegEx, I can see I am not the only one to be puzzled by memoQ's programmer approach to such a basic feature...

I have sent a request to memoQ's support but still no answer and my job is starting tomorrow
... See more
Hello,

Before posting this topic, I have watched memoQ's training video "How to set segmentation rules"... Yet I still don't know how to simply add a comma, colon and semi-colon to the main #end# rule!
However, after reading some answers to questions about memoQ's RegEx, I can see I am not the only one to be puzzled by memoQ's programmer approach to such a basic feature...

I have sent a request to memoQ's support but still no answer and my job is starting tomorrow morning so this is rather urgent. I have configured all other aspects to prepare for my big job and switch-over from Trados but this segmentation rule is THE critical feature I cannot do without.

So, can anybody please explain to me in simple terms how to add a comma, colon and semi-colon to the main #end# segmentation rule? Well, I guess this is what I need to do anyway...

As part of my job, I translate real estate ads and memoQ needs to create a segment for each phrase between commas, and after full-stops, colons and semi-colons to turn this:
"Immeuble standing, vaste 3P, 68m² en étage élevé, parfait état, traversant, séjour sur terrasse, chambres au calme sur balcon. Nombreux rangements. Belles prestations. Cave. DPE :C. Réf.: 4ODR."

into that:
"Immeuble standing,
vaste 3P,
68m² en étage élevé,
parfait état,
traversant,
séjour sur terrasse,
chambres au calme sur balcon.
Nombreux rangements.
Belles prestations.
Cave.
DPE:
C. Réf.:
4ODR."

Many thanks in advance!
Claire
Collapse

gfichter
gfichter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:54
English
+ ...
Similar problem Jul 23, 2014

I had a similar problem with Chinese. The segmentation is language by language, and I tried adapting the English rules for Chinese, but they didn't take effect.
Would be interested in anything you learn.

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 21:54
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
The simplest solution Jul 23, 2014

To segment sentences on commas, colons and semi-colons add the following lines in the "Rules" window:

;#!#
:#!#
,#!#

...and reimport your document.

Adding "always breaking" punctuation marks to segmentation rules Jul 24, 2014

Hi Claire,

I think what Tomasz suggested is perfect, or you can do what you originally wanted to: add a new custom list. I think they are about equally complicated (or easy) solutions.

Create a new custom list called eg. #alwaysBreak#, and add your punctuation marks to it.
Then define this rule: #alwaysBreak##!# with no exceptions. This will always break your text if it meets one of the marks in the
... See more
Hi Claire,

I think what Tomasz suggested is perfect, or you can do what you originally wanted to: add a new custom list. I think they are about equally complicated (or easy) solutions.

Create a new custom list called eg. #alwaysBreak#, and add your punctuation marks to it.
Then define this rule: #alwaysBreak##!# with no exceptions. This will always break your text if it meets one of the marks in the list.
If you have a list it will be easier to add/remove marks later.

Kind regards,
Agnes Varga

[Edited at 2014-07-24 08:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-07-24 08:26 GMT]
Collapse

Claire Fumoleau-Itani
Claire Fumoleau-Itani  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU! Jul 24, 2014

Dear Tomasz,

Thanks a lot for you reply, it's worked!!
I had tried replicating the #end# model with commas, colons and semi-colons in it but, since I am not a programmer, memoQ kept rejecting my 'custom-made' strings...
Fantastic, thanks again

Kind regards,
Claire

Denis Hay
Denis Hay
Local time: 21:54
It's all in the custom lists Jul 24, 2014

Hi everyone,

As some said, segmentation rules depend on the source language. Here, for French, you need to:

- clone the default ruleset
- edit your cloned copy and add those caracters to the #end# custom list (second tab)
- reimport your document

http://screencast.com/t/pIBBgzHuvly

boostrer
boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:54
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
The same problem Apr 2, 2015

I have created a new set of rules, added comma to #end# custom list, and made this a default set. However, Memoq still doesn't segment the text on commas.
Source: English
MemoQ version: 6.2

What can I do?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I just had the same problem, … Apr 2, 2019

boostrer wrote:

I have created a new set of rules, added comma to #end# custom list, and made this a default set. However, Memoq still doesn't segment the text on commas.
Source: English
MemoQ version: 6.2

What can I do?

… but am wondering if it is related to memoQ's so-called TM-driven segmentation, or whatever it's called. That is, are particular TMs I have attached to the project (when re-importing my doc) perhaps overriding my newly added :#!# rule? Anyone?

In any case, I added the rule to force memoQ to segment on all colons as described above, but after re-importing the same doc, memoQ did not break the text on all colons...

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT - Adding comma, colon and semi-colon to memoQ's segmentation rules

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »