Thread poster: Anna Sarah Krämer
Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:53
Japanese to English
More RAM and use DNS Aug 10, 2016

Let me respond to each of your points with my experience:

>>the software freezes or crashes for no apparent reason and has to be restarted
I don't think memoQ has ever crashed on me in the six months or so I have been using it. However, it does seem to cause DNS (Dragon NaturallySpeaking) to crash quite often. But DNS was prone to crashing before memoQ came along, anyway, so it's likely that DNS is the culprit in my case. I would say the memoQ crashes are definitely attributab
... See more
Let me respond to each of your points with my experience:

>>the software freezes or crashes for no apparent reason and has to be restarted
I don't think memoQ has ever crashed on me in the six months or so I have been using it. However, it does seem to cause DNS (Dragon NaturallySpeaking) to crash quite often. But DNS was prone to crashing before memoQ came along, anyway, so it's likely that DNS is the culprit in my case. I would say the memoQ crashes are definitely attributable to a problem with your system.

>>WebSearch does not open - or if it does, it eats up my computers memory and blocks the whole computer
This is definitely true in my case. WebSearch opens for me, but it won't if I try to add too many online sources to it. But the memory leaks it causes — I have stopped using WebSearch altogether because of this. I actually haven't tried the function since the last couple of updates were made, so maybe it is fixed. It has such a deleterious effect on my system, however, that don't want to try. I'm surprised to hear nobody else talk about this problem.

>>the spell check causes the program to freeze
There's an easy solution for this: start using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I haven't used a spellchecker in the five or six years I have been using Dragon. And being able to use Dragon effectively is one of the absolute best reasons to use memoQ in my experience, so you're really missing out if you don't!

>>the file structure is too complicated
I haven't really dug into this very much, but I'm already a bit skeptical over whether there needs to be so many files created that take up so much space. Not a huge deal in this age of cheap storage, however. Just make sure to back up the root directory every so often and you should be fine.

I have included my system specs below for reference:

Intel i7-5820K
16 GB RAM
Windows 8.1 (I wouldn't touch Windows 10 with a 10-foot pole)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking 14.0
Collapse

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:53
Member (2005)
French to English
Clean up the computer Aug 10, 2016

Hullo Anna Sarah and all of you.

When I use DNS with Studio, I find that after a time, the system crashes more frequently, and I use WinZip System Utilities (http://www.winzip.com/) to clean the Windows registry. It's rather like cleaning the sparking plugs on a car. This takes 20 minutes or so.
A longer, but also necessary task is defragmenting
... See more
Hullo Anna Sarah and all of you.

When I use DNS with Studio, I find that after a time, the system crashes more frequently, and I use WinZip System Utilities (http://www.winzip.com/) to clean the Windows registry. It's rather like cleaning the sparking plugs on a car. This takes 20 minutes or so.
A longer, but also necessary task is defragmenting the hard disk:

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjHyqjjibfOAhVEfxoKHUCeAhcQFghsMAk&url=http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-defrag-in-windows-7-8-10-3493358/&usg=AFQjCNHiU8CHel8ela7-EnQvu8cylfQm5g

gives guidance from PC advisor. You can just use the Windows utility.

DNS seems as carnivorous of HD space as its mythical namesake.

You can Google "Disk defragmentation" for free software downloads to try, such as

http://www.diskcleaner.nl/

I use some freeware of which I'm afraid the name escapes me (I'm away from the office on holiday).

My main PC is 64 bit, and has 4 Gb RAM. It does occasionally freeze, but is still serviceable.

I hope these leads can help you save on outlay.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren
(IanDhu - Translator 41189)
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:53
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
A fix for WebSearch Sep 19, 2016

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

- WebSearch does not open - or if it does, it eats up my computers memory and blocks the whole computer

Another solution I found, with the help of Kilgray support, which solved this problem in my case was to manually clear the WebSearch cache folder. Apparently MemoQ is supposed to do this automatically, but in my case it didn't happen and when it got too full WebSearch stopped working.

In my computer the cache is located at %appdata%\Roaming\MemoQ\WebSearchCache . Deleting all the files in this folder fixed the WebSearch problem.

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The solution Mar 3, 2018

The issue is not because of small RAM size.

MemoQ normally uses about 300k RAM, so the RAM size shall not cause freezing.
I think I have found the reason for this after a year thinking: some tags that are causing problems in XML files are stored in the TM, which literally corrupts the file, which slows down your PC first, then will cause program aborts.
The solution is to filter the text before storing it in the TM, but this is the task of memoQ developers.
A tempo
... See more
The issue is not because of small RAM size.

MemoQ normally uses about 300k RAM, so the RAM size shall not cause freezing.
I think I have found the reason for this after a year thinking: some tags that are causing problems in XML files are stored in the TM, which literally corrupts the file, which slows down your PC first, then will cause program aborts.
The solution is to filter the text before storing it in the TM, but this is the task of memoQ developers.
A temporary solution is to export your TM in TMX, fix it with a utility, then reimport it in memoq. Then, your TM will be OK until memoQ packs it again with forbidden tags.
Collapse

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Use Wordfast Pro Mar 3, 2018

Works like a charm.

I never did understand the need for quirky functions other than (1) fishing existing material from TMs and optionally (2) having side-by-side segmented text for convenience.

Are all those extra functions really worth hogging your machine?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memoQ - a rant

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »