Georgios Tziakos
Georgios Tziakos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
Nov 16, 2018

Hello everyone,

(There are so many fora on Proz.Com that I am not sure I got the right one -- do we actually need all those subcategories?)

I've been trying to wrap my head around this. How can it be that I have a powerful computer that handles anything from having 50-100 tabs open, intensive statistics software, and moderately heavy graphics display without problems, and STILL find that MemoQ is getting so slow when you scroll up or down the strings in Editor that it b
... See more
Hello everyone,

(There are so many fora on Proz.Com that I am not sure I got the right one -- do we actually need all those subcategories?)

I've been trying to wrap my head around this. How can it be that I have a powerful computer that handles anything from having 50-100 tabs open, intensive statistics software, and moderately heavy graphics display without problems, and STILL find that MemoQ is getting so slow when you scroll up or down the strings in Editor that it basically stutters? A client recently upgraded to 8.6 and I see it's even worse than 8.3, and much, much worse than 2015 or 2014R2 are (which I still use for other clients and honestly prefer them for allowing me to work at my top speed). I even tried creating a small off-line local project comprised of a 50-word, 10-string document and extremely lean resources, to see if any of that was the problem, but it's still just as slow when scrolling up or down. The refresh rate is simply appalling. Is anyone else experiencing such issues?

Thanks,
Georgios

[Edited at 2018-11-16 09:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-11-16 09:41 GMT]
Collapse

Edward Bradburn
Alex Tsybulski
SEA Language
Bora Kas

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:33
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Totally agree, I long ago stopped using memoQ as it is simply unusable in its current state. Nov 16, 2018

See my recent post over in the thread about (the apparent demise of) Déjà Vu :

https://www.proz.com/post/2762758#2762758

titled: “WARNING: memoQ UI = too slow these days (IYAM)”

… where I said:

“I've heard a couple of people mention memoQ as a potential alternative to DVX, so thought I would briefly mention why I don't t
... See more
See my recent post over in the thread about (the apparent demise of) Déjà Vu :

https://www.proz.com/post/2762758#2762758

titled: “WARNING: memoQ UI = too slow these days (IYAM)”

… where I said:

“I've heard a couple of people mention memoQ as a potential alternative to DVX, so thought I would briefly mention why I don't think this is a good idea. Incidentally, I own up to date licences for memoQ, Studio 2019, DVX3 and CafeTran, and have used them all extensively.

Currently, if you work with large termbases, memoQ is not a good idea, as scrolling through the list of hits (to the right) is excruciatingly slow. For that matter, a lot of other parts of the memoQ UI are as slow as molasses these days.

Of the big boys, I would definitely recommend Studio 2019, whose UI feels a lot snappier. I am not impressed with Studio's terminology handling either though, but for different reasons. For terminology in Studio I currently use and recommend: ‘RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler’ (https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/rys-termbase-translation-assembler/766/ ).

I would also recommend CafeTran above memoQ these days, but CafeTran is a special kind of tool, and perhaps better suited for the tinkerer.

Michael”

[Edited at 2018-11-16 13:22 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Chacón
Linh Nguyen

Georgios Tziakos
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Michael Nov 16, 2018

Thank you for confirming my suspicions, Michael.

The problem lies mostly in specific clients needing us to use specific tools. I have found MemoQ's overall UI/funcionality philosophy very good and still do: the ability to massively find and replace text across strings and documents, the ability to jump to the source column with one keystroke and other such elements have made me prefer it to Trados (at least 2015, that's as far as I've gone with it). But I'll try out Deja Vu (I had
... See more
Thank you for confirming my suspicions, Michael.

The problem lies mostly in specific clients needing us to use specific tools. I have found MemoQ's overall UI/funcionality philosophy very good and still do: the ability to massively find and replace text across strings and documents, the ability to jump to the source column with one keystroke and other such elements have made me prefer it to Trados (at least 2015, that's as far as I've gone with it). But I'll try out Deja Vu (I had only checked it once 6 years ago) and the latest Studio, so I'll at least have a tool I can use with clients who are open to alternatives. I need to say that it's a darn shame that such an otherwise great tool as MemoQ falls victim to bad design. I'd rather have a stable and fast version for 2-3 years rather than constant new minor features that do very little to increase my productivity, and make the core of the product slow as a slug.
Collapse

Alex Tsybulski

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
I don't have such problems Nov 16, 2018

I'm using version 8.5 and I haven't noticed such problems. But I'm using a new PC with 32 GB RAM and an all-SDD drive. If your MemoQ resources are on a HDD, fetching them when you scroll will be slower than with an SSD, but we don't know if that is what's causing the problem here. If it's a server project, it could also be server or network related.

I have tried Studio, but I rather dislike it and am trying to get rid of my licence.

Georgios Tziakos
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You should definitely not need 32 GB to run a CAT tool Nov 16, 2018

...but I am also using a full SSD, 16 GB i7 machine. Everything else seems to be going fast enough. It's just the scrolling up and down (either by mousewheel or by clicking on the scroll bar or pageup/down) that seems to stutter and lag .

Sergei Leshchinsky
Alex Tsybulski

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
RAM Nov 16, 2018

No, you don't need 32 GB today. Right now I'm using 22% of it, but systems' and applications' resource requirements keep increasing, so I just wanted a configuration that is likely to last for many years. 8 GB would seem a bit limited today, but with 16 GB, you should be fine for quite a while too.

It's difficult to say what is causing your performance problem.

Linh Nguyen
Dominic D.
Wolfgang Schoene

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:33
German to Turkish
+ ...
mouse problem? Nov 16, 2018

Georgios Tziakos wrote:

...but I am also using a full SSD, 16 GB i7 machine. Everything else seems to be going fast enough. It's just the scrolling up and down (either by mousewheel or by clicking on the scroll bar or pageup/down) that seems to stutter and lag .

I know that it is a long shot in your case but I had a similar problem with Word and a Microsoft Mouse. The very mouse was working well with all the programs, including Office programs except for Word. And in Word, the problem was in scrolling. I had to change the mouse which was quite expensive at that time..

You may try to use memoQ with other periphery elements.

Elif

Georgios Tziakos
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you guys Nov 16, 2018

I've tried playing around with mouse settings and it didn't help , I am afraid. Even removing the (logitech) mouse I'm using and just using the Laptop's trackpad, to no avail. It's not really a matter of how many lines are scrolled, but that the display stutters. This doesn't happen with any older MemoQ versions or SDL 2015 or Steam, or browsers, or anything else. I might open an issue with Kilgray but in my experience, such things are almost impossible for them to properly investigate. But more... See more
I've tried playing around with mouse settings and it didn't help , I am afraid. Even removing the (logitech) mouse I'm using and just using the Laptop's trackpad, to no avail. It's not really a matter of how many lines are scrolled, but that the display stutters. This doesn't happen with any older MemoQ versions or SDL 2015 or Steam, or browsers, or anything else. I might open an issue with Kilgray but in my experience, such things are almost impossible for them to properly investigate. But more importantly, at the end of the day, if everything else is working fine, I think it's more than fair to blame the software's design for it. I consider myself a power-user, but if I have to troubleshoot each tool I use for highly arcane technical things like this, I might as well change careers and become an IT engineer myself.Collapse

Edward Bradburn

Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
Local time: 22:33
German to English
+ ...
Confirms what I have found Mar 26, 2019

Just would like to add a confirmation about slow scrolling here.

Scrolling is snappy (blazing fast in DVX, very good in TRADOS) in other programs but in memoQ it is unbearably laggy. As is the terminology insertion which I can sometimes follow letter for letter as it places each one in the segment I am working on. If my TRADOS 2015 can do this better, why doesn't memoQ?

It is just one of a list of bugs and problems as long as my arm, to be honest and I shall certainly b
... See more
Just would like to add a confirmation about slow scrolling here.

Scrolling is snappy (blazing fast in DVX, very good in TRADOS) in other programs but in memoQ it is unbearably laggy. As is the terminology insertion which I can sometimes follow letter for letter as it places each one in the segment I am working on. If my TRADOS 2015 can do this better, why doesn't memoQ?

It is just one of a list of bugs and problems as long as my arm, to be honest and I shall certainly be investigating CafeTran and upgrading to TRADOS 2019 anyway. Shame, but memoQ seems to have stood still since 2015.
Collapse

Cristina Feletto
Linh Nguyen
Georgios Tziakos

Cristina Feletto
Cristina Feletto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Server-based projects in MemoQ Apr 3, 2019

I work exclusively on server-based projects and I certainly say that the slow performance is not due to your hardware, but the server. I experience slowness when saving and moving to the next segment, especially when working on large projects. I am hoping this problem will be resolved eventually, because it really affects productivity.

Georgios Tziakos
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed, that's one more thing, but... Apr 3, 2019

I suppose we cannot hold Kilgray responsible for that. It might be because of huge TMs/documents or a server that's not fast/strong enough to handle the workload. But the scrolling issue of my original post is just a critical flaw that's built in the software and so cannot be avoided or blamed on anything else but its own design. Sorry to hear about your experience, Cristina, and wishing you good luck or lots of patience.

Cristina Feletto wrote:

I work exclusively on server-based projects and I certainly say that the slow performance is not due to your hardware, but the server. I experience slowness when saving and moving to the next segment, especially when working on large projects. I am hoping this problem will be resolved eventually, because it really affects productivity.

[Edited at 2019-04-03 20:48 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Set synchronisation to manual Apr 3, 2019

The first thing to do in case of performance problems is to set synchronisation to manual. It's on my checklist.

Georgios Tziakos

Georgios Tziakos
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Usually helps. Apr 4, 2019

Yes, this is a must. Although if there's a server issue or lag with the TM, even confirming with manual sync can cause delas when confirming segments (either because of lag when the TM receives the new entry or when it is looking up the next for a fuzzy match). My own advice in these cases: pre-translate the whole document.

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

The first thing to do in case of performance problems is to set synchronisation to manual. It's on my checklist.

Alex Tsybulski
Alex Tsybulski
Belarus
Local time: 00:33
Chinese to Russian
+ ...
Video May 8, 2019

Recorded a video for you guys to get the idea of how it looks and feels like (can't find any other example on youtube).

https://youtu.be/LXJl_qjVIiY

Win 10 (1809) / CPU: i5-4570 / RAM: 8GB / GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro (OS, Apps, all the projects and TMs on it)
Mouse: Logitech G903 (with fast scrolling)
Same was on Nvidia GTX 760 2GB.
Same wa
... See more
Recorded a video for you guys to get the idea of how it looks and feels like (can't find any other example on youtube).

https://youtu.be/LXJl_qjVIiY

Win 10 (1809) / CPU: i5-4570 / RAM: 8GB / GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro (OS, Apps, all the projects and TMs on it)
Mouse: Logitech G903 (with fast scrolling)
Same was on Nvidia GTX 760 2GB.
Same was on Win 7.
Same was for a couple of years already (on previous versions).
No such problem with Memsource (desktop), MS Office or any other application.

Any ideas how to fix this? Any people who don't have such problem?

[Edited at 2019-05-08 14:13 GMT]
Collapse

Georgios Tziakos
Linh Nguyen

Georgios Tziakos
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I suspect it's due to the strings' length May 8, 2019

hi Alex,

Can you please try this on a file where each string is only 1-2 words and let us know how it goes? (but make sure it has a loooot of individual strings).

Best,
Georgios

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 8.+ performance - scrolling up and down oh so tortuously slow

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »