Export aligned word docs as return package/Trados compatible bilingual?
Thread poster: Rory Andrew Gale
Rory Andrew Gale
Rory Andrew Gale  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:02
French to English
+ ...
Mar 11, 2020

I want to use MemoQ to send return packages but actually just do the translation myself on Word as I find it much faster and easier.

Therefore, what I want to do is to align the original source word document with my target word document and then export it as a return package and/or bilingual xliff file which is compatible with the agency's Trados.

Simple right? Apparently not. I got as far as doing the alignment easily enough by creating a LiveDoc after following this
... See more
I want to use MemoQ to send return packages but actually just do the translation myself on Word as I find it much faster and easier.

Therefore, what I want to do is to align the original source word document with my target word document and then export it as a return package and/or bilingual xliff file which is compatible with the agency's Trados.

Simple right? Apparently not. I got as far as doing the alignment easily enough by creating a LiveDoc after following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS1PRTu2w9A but then could only export it as a TM.

When I go to the 'documents' tab at the top and click on either 'Export (Stored Path) / Export (Dialog) or Export Bilingual' nothing happens. Do I need to somehow 'finish' the project off? Is it a bug? I just downloaded the latest update of 9.0. Bear in mind that I have not created a MemoQ 'project' out of it - I simply want to align the files then export them to send back to the agency.

I consulted this page: https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/bilingual-export-wizard.html but the simple fact of the matter is that the Bilingual Export Wizard just doesn't pop up when I click on the Export button.

After HOURS of fiddling around I had to resort to copying each segment one by one into the Trados import file which completely defeats the purpose of what I am trying to do! If I could copy them all across in one fell swoop then it would still save me time but I had to do them all individually - hundreds and hundreds of them!

Please help!!

Screenshot attached.
MemoQ proz error
Collapse

LeoM1905
LeoM1905
Taiwan
Pre-translate empty source file with LiveDoc TM Mar 12, 2020

If you have an empty source file, maybe you can use LiveDoc-made TM to pre-translate it. Then you can export a. xliff file or return package (if you have the project package to import into memoQ).

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
create a project Mar 12, 2020

You will need to create a project in MemoQ and then, after opening it for translation and having your LiveDoc and/or TM open, click on Preparation and then Pretranslate. It should then populate all your segments, and then you can export it as a bilingual file.

This should not take very long, but I do recommend skimming your populated segments to make sure it didn´t put in something else. For example, putting in "Grado:" when you need "Calificación:" for the source "Grade:" on
... See more
You will need to create a project in MemoQ and then, after opening it for translation and having your LiveDoc and/or TM open, click on Preparation and then Pretranslate. It should then populate all your segments, and then you can export it as a bilingual file.

This should not take very long, but I do recommend skimming your populated segments to make sure it didn´t put in something else. For example, putting in "Grado:" when you need "Calificación:" for the source "Grade:" on a line.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export aligned word docs as return package/Trados compatible bilingual?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »