Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 2, 2020

Hello everyone

An annoying feature of MemoQ is that it opens the target file in its associated viewer automatically when it creates the target file. When the target file is Word, it opens it in Word. When the target file has no clear association (e.g. XLIFF files), I get that Windows dialog asking me which program I want to use to open a file with. A similar thing happens when I export bilingual RTF files -- MemoQ automatically opens it in Word. I know I can deselect the option
... See more
Hello everyone

An annoying feature of MemoQ is that it opens the target file in its associated viewer automatically when it creates the target file. When the target file is Word, it opens it in Word. When the target file has no clear association (e.g. XLIFF files), I get that Windows dialog asking me which program I want to use to open a file with. A similar thing happens when I export bilingual RTF files -- MemoQ automatically opens it in Word. I know I can deselect the option in the bilingual export dialog (it gets re-selected every time, though), but I can see no such deselection option for when the translated file is generated. Do you know if it is possible to tell MemoQ not to open or attempt to open files in their associated viewers automatically?

Samuel
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, easy! May 2, 2020

In the Options (gearboxes at the top-left), select the Miscellaneous panel, disable "Automatically open target document after exporting". Done!

Samuel Murray

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to prevent MemoQ from opening the export file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »