Why do I have a MXLF file and then the normal MXLIFF files for Memsource Editor?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 18:56
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 28, 2020

Why do I have a MXLF file and then the normal MXLIFF files for Memsource Editor?

I received a work kit from the customer containing one MXLF file on 5 MB. Then, in their online Memsource account, there are the normal MXLIFF files for download. I can not open this MXLF file though, so I wonder what it's for?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Fredrik Mar 28, 2020

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
I received a work kit from the customer containing one MXLF file. ... I can not open this MXLF file though.

I'm not a Memsource expert, but while we wait for those to appear, a quick google leads me to suspect that MXLF files and MXLIFF files are the same file type, except with different file extensions. What happens when you rename the MXLF file so that it has an MXLIFF file extension? [1]

When you say that you can not open the MXLF file, how did you try to open it? In what program were you trying to open it?

Have you tried opening the MXLF file in a text editor, and if so, were you able to see the text or did you get a warning that it is a binary file?

--
[1] Remember, though, even if you can open the file by renaming the file extension, it may be that the server expects a certain file name (including file extension) when sending it to the server, if that is something that you need to do.

[Edited at 2020-03-28 09:53 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:56
English to Russian
Why don't you ask your client? Mar 28, 2020

Why do I have a MXLF file and what is it for?

MXLF is not included in the list of the file formats supported in Memsource. Your client is the only person to tell what it is for. I don't understand why you should post it on proz, wait for experts, search in google, change extensions, make wild guesses or conduct other experiments, when it is as simple as that: ask them.

You should download all your files using the 'Join files' option. Then just open it with Memsource Desktop Editor. If you don't have it installed yet, do it. The latest version is 20.5.3, you can download it from https://www.memsource.com/download/ and use it for free. When you have your translation done, just go to the 'Document' tab => Upload to Server. That's it.

[Edited at 2020-03-28 19:45 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Asked the client, no answer on my question Mar 28, 2020

I asked my client, who chose not to answer my question but just told me I don't have to download anything. Which is a strange response. I've worked many times with Memsource Editor Studio for regular customers (not this one, the first job for this customer), and I always login to the customer's Memsource account, select the files and change status to Accept, whereupon it's possible to download them, either glued together or zipped so I can open them in my desktop version one by one (which is the... See more
I asked my client, who chose not to answer my question but just told me I don't have to download anything. Which is a strange response. I've worked many times with Memsource Editor Studio for regular customers (not this one, the first job for this customer), and I always login to the customer's Memsource account, select the files and change status to Accept, whereupon it's possible to download them, either glued together or zipped so I can open them in my desktop version one by one (which is the option I normally prefer).

So it might be the case that my customer doesn't know much about this.

Of course I need to download the files. The only option is to work with them in the browser, which is not so convenient if they are the least big in file size.

But the package I downloaded from their vendor portal, it did only include this MXLF file (a single file). whereas I had the normal MXLIFF files on the customer's Memsource account. So I downloaded them and started working with them. Still wonder why this MXLF file was included, and what to do with it...
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Why? Mar 28, 2020

The only option is to work with them in the browser...

Why? You can download them as soon as you accept the job.
Honestly, I don't understand: first you say the only option is to work in browser, then you say you could download them. If you could download them, you can work outside your browser. Er?..

Update: Ah, I got it. You mean the only alternative. If you don't download, then you use browser. That's right. Ok.

[Edited at 2020-03-28 20:48 GMT]

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, either download or use the browser Mar 28, 2020

Yes, precisely: best option is to download the MXLIFF files and translate in the desktop version, better than the only other option, to translate using the browser.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
But did they give any instructions? Mar 28, 2020

If they are your client, most probably they instructed you to do some work, right? You said they didn't tell you anything about the mxlf file and told you not to download anything. Then how do you know what they expect of you now? It sounds now that they just sent you a file without any further instructions. Why do you think you should translate it with Memsource?

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They gave instructions, but not all were correct Mar 28, 2020

They told me to use Memsource and gave me credentials to their vendor portal and to their Memsource account. So I thought it was evident I should follow the standard procedure for Memsource projects, which is to download the MXLIFF files and translate them in the Editor Studio. But why did I get that MXLF file, had to ask about it. In reply to that, they ignored my question about the MXLF file and said at the same time I didn't have to download anything.

Stepan Konev

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Fredrik Mar 29, 2020

So it might be the case that my customer doesn't know much about this.

My experience with a variety of online CAT tool systems is that the option to download and upload files is sometimes something that the client can or has to deliberately enable or disable. It is always unpleasant to discover new features in online CAT tools that one did not know about that restricts the way to use it.

Of course, if you can't download files, you can ask the client to enable downloading and uploading, but even if the client has no objection, he might not know how to do that.

I had the normal MXLIFF files on the customer's Memsource account. So I downloaded them and started working with them.

Have you made sure that you are able to upload them again? Sometimes these online CAT tools allow download (e.g. so that you can use the downloaded file as a reference) without also allowing upload.

Still wonder why this MXLF file was included, and what to do with it...

Perhaps ask the Memsource people directly?
https://help.memsource.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
(apparently, you have to sign up for a "trial" account in order to get a username so that you can ask a question using that username)

[Edited at 2020-03-29 08:58 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Reference pane Mar 29, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
Have you made sure that you are able to upload them again? Sometimes these online CAT tools allow download (e.g. so that you can use the downloaded file as a reference) without also allowing upload.

In Memsource all reference files are kept in a separate section called Reference (lowermost section). If you can—and we know Fredrik could—download mxliff files it means you can upload them.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »