Seeing translators' names in Memsource or other online CATs
Thread poster: Baran Keki
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:16
English to Turkish
Sep 2, 2020

I notice that every time I'm assigned a task in Memsource (this also happens in Trados packages and MemoQ sometimes) I see the full names of the translators who have previously translated or changed the segments I'm currently working on. Why is it that Memsource feels compelled to expose the identity of the person who has translated or changed a particular segment? Can't they remain anonymous? Is it designed this way (by Memsource) or is it the policy of the translation agency to show who worked... See more
I notice that every time I'm assigned a task in Memsource (this also happens in Trados packages and MemoQ sometimes) I see the full names of the translators who have previously translated or changed the segments I'm currently working on. Why is it that Memsource feels compelled to expose the identity of the person who has translated or changed a particular segment? Can't they remain anonymous? Is it designed this way (by Memsource) or is it the policy of the translation agency to show who worked on what?
I mean it's particularly weird/awkward when you're doing a proofreading task in Memsource and see the name and surname of the original translator (why not include their address and VAT number while they're at it?) who you recognise from Proz or elsewhere.
Isn't there supposed to be some sort of 'privacy requirement' to conceal the translator's name (or at the very least give them the choice of revealing their names or remaining anonymous)?
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Arabic & More

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 17:16
Chinese to English
+ ...
2-edge sword Sep 2, 2020

I work on certain projects as a team. When I see an entry in the TM, the name of the translator is a good indication as to whether to ignore that TM entry.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Responsibility Sep 2, 2020

I imagine Memsource has a system for the LSP to remove all that, but it's too useful for the LSP to see who's done what in the past and assign blame and responsibility, and translators will inevitably complain about the quality of translator Fred Bloggs' last sign-off, usually to their own advantage. Except it might not all be Fred's work, just that Fred changed a comma or two in a previous 100% match produced by MT or an incompetent translator, but couldn't be bothered to change the major issue... See more
I imagine Memsource has a system for the LSP to remove all that, but it's too useful for the LSP to see who's done what in the past and assign blame and responsibility, and translators will inevitably complain about the quality of translator Fred Bloggs' last sign-off, usually to their own advantage. Except it might not all be Fred's work, just that Fred changed a comma or two in a previous 100% match produced by MT or an incompetent translator, but couldn't be bothered to change the major issues because he wasn't getting paid zip to do so, or too little to warrant any serious reworking. GIGO.

Oh. I thought I was still being vetted, but this appeared right away ...

[Edited at 2020-09-02 09:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-09-02 09:28 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Ventnai
Florian Stauber

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Disagree with Mervyn Sep 3, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Except it might not all be Fred's work, just that Fred changed a comma or two in a previous 100% match produced by MT or an incompetent translator, but couldn't be bothered to change the major issues because he wasn't getting paid zip to do so, or too little to warrant any serious reworking. GIGO.

This is possible but definitely not normal. If Fred is highly competent indeed, he would either work diligently no matter what, or refuse the job altogether. What you are describing is a hallmark of a jobsworth - if he gets blamed, then rightly so.

Kaspars Melkis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Obviously it is the policy of the translation agency Sep 3, 2020

Some agencies do care about it, I have seen user IDs like Translator1, Translator2, ... Transltor444, etc. But not all... The worst thing about it is that it assigns your name to a translation added by others. Even if you have only changed comma to semicolon or just corrected a typo while keeping the entire previous translation intact, your name is displayed as if it is you who translated it.

Baran Keki
Lidija Klemencic

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Double edged sword indeed Sep 3, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Some agencies do care about it, I have seen user IDs like Translator1, Translator2, ... Transltor444, etc. But not all... The worst thing about it is that it assigns your name to a translation added by others. Even if you have only changed comma to semicolon or just corrected a typo while keeping the entire previous translation intact, your name is displayed as if it is you who translated it.

That's the way it should be! The translation agencies pay you peanuts for 95-99% matches. Why should you go out of your way to 'correct' a rubbish translation when you're not getting paid for it? But then by adding one single new word to that rubbish translation you 'inherit' the ownership of that segment and your name is proudly presented there.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Idealistic approach Sep 3, 2020

Anton Konashenok wrote:
If Fred is highly competent indeed, he would either work diligently no matter what, or refuse the job altogether. What you are describing is a hallmark of a jobsworth - if he gets blamed, then rightly so.

Many agencies (at least in Russia) don't give enough time for translator to rephrase 100% matches even if they are poor translations. They consider 100% matches done. Some of them even insist on keeping 100% matches intact. If you refuse it altogether every time, you are at risk of never getting a job. Also, you have to accept the job first before you can download the [mxliff] file and assess the quality of fuzzy matches that appear as you progress through the file. What you describe is an ideal situation but hardly achievable. With tasks involving multiple translators, it can be a mix of good and bad translations. How can you know the qaulity of all 8000+ segments before you read them all?

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
To know who's it from. Sep 3, 2020

I think its very interesting to know whose translations you're actually using. If it are recurring end clients, it also helps remembering whether it's your own input or not.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
A very uncertain method Sep 3, 2020

Peter Motte wrote:
I think its very interesting to know whose translations you're actually using. If it are recurring end clients, it also helps remembering whether it's your own input or not.

You may not know whose translations you're actually using because Memsource overwrites the original translator's ID with your ID even if you just add a dot without changing the wording itself.

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
But ... Sep 3, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Peter Motte wrote:

You may not know whose translations you're actually using because Memsource overwrites the original translator's ID with your ID even if you just add a dot without changing the wording itself.

Yes, but then you know you did use it.
You won't have to doubt whether it's entirely strange to your way of working or not.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Seeing translators' names in Memsource or other online CATs

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »