Neda Tomasevic
Neda Tomasevic
Local time: 23:04
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Dec 24, 2019

Dear translators,
I wanted to ask you for advice.
I have over 10 years of translation experience from Serbian to Italian and vice versa. I was employed at various institutions and now I want to start working as a freelancer.
Since many agencies ask for our offers, I would like to know what would be a reasonable price per word / hour, apart from Sebian Italian combination, also English > Serbian, Italian.
I would be very grateful to you if you could also tell me the pric
... See more
Dear translators,
I wanted to ask you for advice.
I have over 10 years of translation experience from Serbian to Italian and vice versa. I was employed at various institutions and now I want to start working as a freelancer.
Since many agencies ask for our offers, I would like to know what would be a reasonable price per word / hour, apart from Sebian Italian combination, also English > Serbian, Italian.
I would be very grateful to you if you could also tell me the price of subtitling, proofreading, editing, reviewing or you can recommend me a source where I could find all the information.
And to all those who celebrate, Merry Christmas.
Thanks a lot.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Rates Dec 24, 2019

Dear Neda,

as a freelance translator you are an entrepreneur with all responsibilities. This means that you need to figure out how much you need to make per month in order to maintain your standard of living.

With 10 years of experience, I assume that you can translate quite well, that is, fast. You need to figure out how many words you can translate per day, also keeping in mind that you might not always have projects to work on.

Your rate needs to be base
... See more
Dear Neda,

as a freelance translator you are an entrepreneur with all responsibilities. This means that you need to figure out how much you need to make per month in order to maintain your standard of living.

With 10 years of experience, I assume that you can translate quite well, that is, fast. You need to figure out how many words you can translate per day, also keeping in mind that you might not always have projects to work on.

Your rate needs to be based on your monthly financial obligations, including health and retirement insurance. You are the only one who knows how much you must make as a monthly minimum.

Many translators new to the (freelance) industry accept low rates in order to get started. However, keep in mind that it's not at all an easy task to raise your rate. If you want to gain experience as a freelancer, you might accept slightly lower rates, but always high enough to meet your obligations. Once you have enough clients, look for better paying once and, yes, leave those who don't pay decent rates.

Hope this helps.

All the best and Merry Christmas.

Thayenga

[Edited at 2019-12-24 13:04 GMT]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Chelsea Berry

Neda Tomasevic
Neda Tomasevic
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rates for translation Dec 24, 2019

Dear Thayenga,

thank you so much.

Neda

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Neda Dec 24, 2019

You could also check the average rates reported in your language pairs just to have an idea of where to start:

See more
You could also check the average rates reported in your language pairs just to have an idea of where to start:

https://search.proz.com/employers/rates?source_lang=...&target_lang=ita&disc_spec_id=¤cy=eur&submit=Submit
https://search.proz.com/employers/rates?source_lang=ita&target_lang=...&disc_spec_id=¤cy=eur&submit=Submit
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Chelsea Berry

Neda Tomasevic
Neda Tomasevic
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Teresa! Dec 24, 2019

Teresa Borges wrote:

https://search.proz.com/employers/rates?source_lang=...&target_lang=ita&disc_spec_id=��cy=eur&submit=Submit
https://search.proz.com/employers/rates?source_lang=ita&target_lang=...&disc_spec_id=��cy=eur&submit=Submit

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Reported rates are not necessarily the actual rates Dec 24, 2019

Neda, keep in mind that average rates are reported ones. Many of those stating that they charge, say, US$0.10 per word are in fact quoting US$0.05-0.06 per word when they respond to an actual job posting on ProZ.com or elsewhere. Otherwise, nobody would talk so much about price dumping.

And we know that there are those who support bottom-feeding agencies by agreeing to work for US$0.03 or even US$0.02 per word.

[Edited at 2019-12-24 15:46 GMT]

Thayenga
Edward Potter
Tanja Oresnik

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well, they are not my actual rates... Dec 24, 2019

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

https://search.proz.com/employers/rates?source_lang=...&target_lang=ita&disc_spec_id=��cy=eur&submit=Submit
https://search.proz.com/employers/rates?source_lang=ita&target_lang=...&disc_spec_id=��cy=eur&submit=Submit

Neda, keep in mind that these average rates are reported ones. Many of those stating that they charge, say, US$0.10 per word are in fact quoting US$0.05-0.06 per word when they respond to an actual job posting on ProZ.com or elsewhere. Otherwise, nobody would talk so much about price dumping.

And we know that there are those who support bottom-feeding agencies by agreeing to work for US$0.03 or even US$0.02 per word.

[Edited at 2019-12-24 15:23 GMT]

as I charge more than the standard rates reported in EN-PT, FR-PT, ES-PT and IT-PT (my working languages) and I have never worked for bottom-feeding agencies...

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
@Teresa Dec 24, 2019

I have never wanted to place you among the supporters of the bottom-feeding agencies... Sorry for the unhappy phrasing of my previous posting.

Neda Tomasevic
Neda Tomasevic
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vladimir, thank you for your reply. Dec 24, 2019

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

Neda, keep in mind that average rates are reported ones. Many of those stating that they charge, say, US$0.10 per word are in fact quoting US$0.05-0.06 per word when they respond to an actual job posting on ProZ.com or elsewhere. Otherwise, nobody would talk so much about price dumping.

[Edited at 2019-12-24 15:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »