Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:11
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 31, 2019

Hi all,

first of all I'd like to wish you a very happy and healthy new year with lots of interesting and well-paid work and no non-payers or scammers!!

I thought this sometimes really hard year (not so much work-wise, but health- and otherwise) would at least end rather calm and quiet, but as it is the last day of the month I expected a payment from a regular client today, but so far nothing happened. Th
... See more
Hi all,

first of all I'd like to wish you a very happy and healthy new year with lots of interesting and well-paid work and no non-payers or scammers!!

I thought this sometimes really hard year (not so much work-wise, but health- and otherwise) would at least end rather calm and quiet, but as it is the last day of the month I expected a payment from a regular client today, but so far nothing happened. They closed office at Christmas and won't open until Jan 6, but as I had email contact with them after christmas and they didn't mention anything I thought they'd send payment as usual. I sent an email yesterday asking about the issue and didn't get an answer, also not today.

I'm angry and disappointed. We all need our money and simply buying some time and not caring that others relied on them is just not okay. Usually they are absolutely professional and correct, but as in january most of the insurance fees are due and those companies debit the fees on Jan 2, I will have to pay extra fees if the payment will be declined because of lacking funds (which is of course no problem >:(. Our car was in the workshop twice that last month, our heating system had to be repaied twice, too, and we will need a third one. So that doesn't make a difference now anyway.)

It is just not fair I have to to pay for the carelessness of others.
Sorry for ranting.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Its okay Dec 31, 2019

Hi Inez,

it's okay to rant once in a while in the face of such challenges, especially those of a monetary nature.

I agree with you that it's neither fair nor professional of them not to mention that payments are delayed ... yes, for whatever reason, though the holidays might be a decent excuse, so to speak. However, only in countries with more than one holiday.

Still, you have a contract with them. They have your invoice and didn't object to the due date th
... See more
Hi Inez,

it's okay to rant once in a while in the face of such challenges, especially those of a monetary nature.

I agree with you that it's neither fair nor professional of them not to mention that payments are delayed ... yes, for whatever reason, though the holidays might be a decent excuse, so to speak. However, only in countries with more than one holiday.

Still, you have a contract with them. They have your invoice and didn't object to the due date thereon. Perhaps you might want to send them an email, informing them that they will be held liable for any additional fees you might have to pay due to their delayed payment.

Surely you did have some money set aside for the insurance fees, although it might have had to be spent on your other mechanical problems.

If you are, aside from this incident, happy with this particular client, then try anew on January 2nd. to see if they can't expedite your payment. You might also try to negotiate a different due date of your financial obligations. For instance, only my translators association membership fee could be due in January. I say could because it can be paid up till the end of February without any additional late payment fees. All other financial obligations, aside from rent and regular utility bills, are due later on in the years. It's a matter of negotiations.

I wish you a very happy and successful 2020... without any delayed payments. In this sense: Guten Rutsch!
Collapse

Inez Ulrich

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Dec 31, 2019

thank you for your reply!

Yes, I am totally happy with them, so that is why I am a bit disappointed now. Didn't expect that. You are also right about the money for insurance. It is usually covered as we of course know when the payments are due, but with all the repair bills and another large one I have to stem this or next week we are absolutley at our limits, or rather above them. But as it is the case so often, such things always happen all at once.

Anyway, I won't le
... See more
thank you for your reply!

Yes, I am totally happy with them, so that is why I am a bit disappointed now. Didn't expect that. You are also right about the money for insurance. It is usually covered as we of course know when the payments are due, but with all the repair bills and another large one I have to stem this or next week we are absolutley at our limits, or rather above them. But as it is the case so often, such things always happen all at once.

Anyway, I won't let this get me down as there is nothing I can do right now, so it would be a total waste of time being annoyed for hours or days. It is getting dark already and I will just have a relaxed, calm evening and later fetch my kids from their parties so they get home safely. That is the most important thing.

Guten Rutsch!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:11
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well... Dec 31, 2019

Over the years, I’ve had a few slight delays in payment around Christmas time and/or in August, but as some customers pay before the holidays rather than after things tend to balance out. Good luck!

Dan Lucas
Vi Pukite

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Dec 31, 2019

oh, they will definitely pay, they always do, has never ever been a problem, it was just a bit unfortunate that they delayed payment right now and didn't even tell me.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jan 1, 2020

I've been dealing with a late payer this year. New systems, new accounting staff, my failure to bill the minute I get the PO (well yes I prefer to bill at the end of the month), all added up to a crazy situation where all the big bills were paid but smaller bills dating from several months ago had not been.
Anyway, I decided to phone rather than email since nobody was answering my emails. The accountant (on about her second week at the firm) was apologetic and promised to deal with it. Th
... See more
I've been dealing with a late payer this year. New systems, new accounting staff, my failure to bill the minute I get the PO (well yes I prefer to bill at the end of the month), all added up to a crazy situation where all the big bills were paid but smaller bills dating from several months ago had not been.
Anyway, I decided to phone rather than email since nobody was answering my emails. The accountant (on about her second week at the firm) was apologetic and promised to deal with it. The clinching argument was that I always work to stringent deadlines for these people, so they should keep to their payment deadlines too.
Collapse

Joe France

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Annoying Jan 1, 2020

Hi,
I perfectly understand your situation. I have a regular client (based in the UK) who pays end of the month + 45 days, which is long enough. Well, each year they never pay my November invoice on January 15, it usually takes 3-4 days extra "because of the holidays"! I find it ridiculous but there is nothing I can do about it...
Laura

Inez Ulrich

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 15:11
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not unusual Jan 2, 2020

I can certainly understand how frustrating this is. It's not unusual but the client should have notified you, especially since the payment term included the holidays. Some agencies set a deadline for submission of invoices that will be paid in the current year. You could suggest that to your client. But you could also prepare yourself and try to set aside some money ahead of time, so you don't suffer through the holidays. And looking on the bright side, you can expect some money from this client... See more
I can certainly understand how frustrating this is. It's not unusual but the client should have notified you, especially since the payment term included the holidays. Some agencies set a deadline for submission of invoices that will be paid in the current year. You could suggest that to your client. But you could also prepare yourself and try to set aside some money ahead of time, so you don't suffer through the holidays. And looking on the bright side, you can expect some money from this client early in the new year.Collapse

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.... Jan 3, 2020

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I can certainly understand how frustrating this is. It's not unusual but the client should have notified you, especially since the payment term included the holidays. Some agencies set a deadline for submission of invoices that will be paid in the current year. You could suggest that to your client. But you could also prepare yourself and try to set aside some money ahead of time, so you don't suffer through the holidays. And looking on the bright side, you can expect some money from this client early in the new year.

It would have been not muchof a problme hadn't we so many issues with car and heating system repairs so the money used for insureance fees had to be used for this (and much more, these were large bills >:(...).
They contacted me on Wednesday, the owner had no idea that payments hadn't gone out and she immediately fixed the problem.

As I said, they are really great, but the finance manager didn't notify translators, obviously. That is what caused the distress.

All good now, thank God!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

December payment simply postponed due to holidays

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »