Thread poster: Hiromasa Funaki
Hiromasa Funaki
Hiromasa Funaki  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:40
English to Japanese
+ ...
Feb 28, 2020

I worked with Chinese translation company in Wuhan. I sent an invoice to them, and asked the payment date. They replied that they did not know when the payment would be done, since their bank stopped the activities. I asked them to pay through Paypal, but they rejected.

I think the company may be bankrupt or will soon be bankrupt.

[2020-02-28 02:10 GMTに編集されました]

Laurent Mercky

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:40
Japanese to English
+ ...
Feb 28, 2020

[Edited at 2020-02-28 03:24 GMT]

Hiromasa Funaki
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Other victims? Feb 28, 2020

I do not know I can disclose the name of the company here, but I can tell you I was requested from the company to translate homepages of VMware.
I would like to know there are any translators who work with the company and have not been paid.
Regards,

Inter-Tra
Inter-Tra  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:40
English to Italian
+ ...
Be Patient Feb 28, 2020

Maybe a sympathetic approach should be adopted. Give them time, at least 90 days.

They are in the mid of a horrific CRISIS.

Cordially
FB

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
IrinaN
Hoang Dan
David Lin
Fatine Echenique
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Emily Gilby

Hiromasa Funaki
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Business not charity Feb 28, 2020

They at first explained the delay in payment was due to closure of their bank, so I suggested using Paypal, but they refused.
I sent several emails to ask them to explain the situation but no response from them.
I think they have plenty of time to check and write emails in their home or office, unless they have already been infected.
I cannot find any reason to wait for 90 days.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:40
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Be patient and empathetic Feb 28, 2020

As far as I know, most (all?) companies of all sizes, banks, insurers, educational institutions, etc., Chinese and otherwise, have been closed in Wuhan since January 24 and workers quarantined at home in an attempt to contain the virus outbreak. Now that the numbers of people infected in the region are going down they are slowly starting to reopen. Don’t you watch the news?

Fatine Echenique

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 16:40
Chinese to English
+ ...
. Feb 28, 2020

Money doesn't just happen in PayPal. Even if they have a PayPal account - not a given - they have to supply funds to the account, and it's not always possible in a country with restrictive financial regulations.

Plus, who knows if the person you've been communicating with is still alive?

Zibow Retailleau
IrinaN
Fatine Echenique
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
celiacheung85

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
French to Chinese
+ ...
Difficult Feb 28, 2020

I'm not sure there's anything you can do right the moment.
Lawsuit? Blue board at proz?

They could use "forces majeurs" to explain everything, which is probably going to be approved by local government, as well as proz staffs.

I have two clients who are agencies several hundreds of miles away from Wuhan, using coronavirus as an excuse for a postoned payment.

All that I can tell, it's true that most of business activies are off in Wuhan since mid-Jan 2
... See more
I'm not sure there's anything you can do right the moment.
Lawsuit? Blue board at proz?

They could use "forces majeurs" to explain everything, which is probably going to be approved by local government, as well as proz staffs.

I have two clients who are agencies several hundreds of miles away from Wuhan, using coronavirus as an excuse for a postoned payment.

All that I can tell, it's true that most of business activies are off in Wuhan since mid-Jan 2020, apart from the fact that most translation companies have being operative with their staffs at home.

I won't mind to wait for another 30 days if I were you, and that doesn't make me a charity house.

BTW, PayPal China has recently changed their rules and asked me for additional documents. It might be also the case for your client.
Collapse

Hiromasa Funaki
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Job requested after lockout Feb 28, 2020

The company should have explained reasons why they could not pay on schedule. Physical closure of bank is not an appropriate reason, since every company uses internet banking, and it is possible to transfer money from a bank account to translator's account or Paypal account without going outside, of course, if they have enough amount in their account.
The most recent job provided from the company was on Feb. 7th, which is significantly after the lockout of the city Wuhan. They must let me
... See more
The company should have explained reasons why they could not pay on schedule. Physical closure of bank is not an appropriate reason, since every company uses internet banking, and it is possible to transfer money from a bank account to translator's account or Paypal account without going outside, of course, if they have enough amount in their account.
The most recent job provided from the company was on Feb. 7th, which is significantly after the lockout of the city Wuhan. They must let me know the possible situation, when they provided the job to me, if they were honest.
Collapse

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
French to Chinese
+ ...
A reasonable approach Feb 28, 2020

Hiromasa Funaki wrote:

The most recent job provided from the company was on Feb. 7th, which is significantly after the lockout of the city Wuhan. They must let me know the possible situation, when they provided the job to me, if they were honest.

I partially agree with you about honesty of those companies.
I'll definitly avoid those agencies who are using an horrific crisis of others as an excuse of postponement.

Meanwhile, I have to admit that accounting is a bit particular.
Even though payments are made online, you have to have at least a USB to proceed, right? An accountant who's able to take a USB key for payment back to his/her home? I can't picture that.
It isn't that easy to change accounting rules for a company, whether big or small.

FYI, as for the quarantain order, it was nationalwide and still is for Wuhan and some major cities of the same province.

Hiromasa Funaki
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It depends on the client Feb 28, 2020

20 years ago, I encountered a similar situation, a Japanese translation company did not pay me. I contacted with the possible original client of translation (FEA service provider) immediately. I told them the name of translation company, and they found the company as one of contractors of their translation provider. They told their direct contractor that they might not pay until the Japanese company pays me. The Japanese company called me and paid.

I never expect the same scenario,
... See more
20 years ago, I encountered a similar situation, a Japanese translation company did not pay me. I contacted with the possible original client of translation (FEA service provider) immediately. I told them the name of translation company, and they found the company as one of contractors of their translation provider. They told their direct contractor that they might not pay until the Japanese company pays me. The Japanese company called me and paid.

I never expect the same scenario, but I have already contacted with the possible client.
Collapse

Hiromasa Funaki
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Time of judgment Feb 28, 2020

LIZ LI wrote:

FYI, as for the quarantain order, it was nationalwide and still is for Wuhan and some major cities of the same province.

If it had been impossible to do any bank transfer since Jan. 20th, activities of the company should have stopped in an earlier stage.
I sent several emails and QQ messages to project managers of the company who I once worked with, but no response.

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
You sure? Feb 28, 2020

Hiromasa Funaki wrote:

The company should have explained reasons why they could not pay on schedule. Physical closure of bank is not an appropriate reason, since every company uses internet banking

I wouldn't even make that assumption for your country.

Anyway, as far as I know, companies making overseas commercial payments in China need to file them with the relevant authorities, and they need to provide supporting documentation in order to be approved by the bank. They can't just click a button and make payment.

and it is possible to transfer money from a bank account to translator's account or Paypal account without going outside, of course, if they have enough amount in their account.

Actually, no, that's impossible in China.

Mina Chen
Hugh Thomson
celiacheung85

Hiromasa Funaki
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too late to inform Feb 28, 2020

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Actually, no, that's impossible in China.

If it is impossible, they should have informed me of the fact when they provided new project to me (Feb. 7th) or when they received my invoice for the last month (Feb. 5th). It is Feb. 27th I was notified that their payment would be delayed. And now, no response from anyone of the company.

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
When did you ask? Feb 28, 2020

If it is impossible, they should have informed me of the fact when they provided new project to me (Feb. 7th) or when they received my invoice for the last month (Feb. 5th).

Well, when did you ask them to use PayPal?

It is Feb. 27th I was notified that their payment would be delayed. And now, no response from anyone of the company.

So they've been out of touch for...one day?

[Edited at 2020-02-28 12:33 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aftermath of Coronavirus - Wuhan

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »