Thread poster: S_G_C
S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 18:48
English to Romanian
May 2, 2020

Just wondering...

Why include this: Non-members may quote after 12 hours in your job offer, when you don't give them a chance anyhow?

I've had my fair share of attempts, yet no reply...

Anne Khasandi

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:48
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hundreds May 2, 2020

Sorana_M. wrote:

Just wondering...

Why include this: Non-members may quote after 12 hours in your job offer, when you don't give them a chance anyhow?

If it's any comfort to you, I have been a paying member of Proz since 2008 and have responded probably hundreds of times to these job offers. I have never, ever, received a reply.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Elena Aclasto
Goumiri Abdennour
rpr
Myriam Moreno Hijazo

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:48
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Stop quoting May 2, 2020

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I have no idea whom I'm quoting.

Cheers,
Gerard

Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Bogus? May 2, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

If it's any comfort to you, I have been a paying member of Proz since 2008 and have responded probably hundreds of times to these job offers. I have never, ever, received a reply.

It is, actually, thank you.

On the other hand, if a paying member like you has sent hundreds of answers, yet never got a reply... what are these, bogus offers?

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:48
English to French
+ ...
Welcome to the club! May 2, 2020

Sorana_M. wrote:

On the other hand, if a paying member like you has sent hundreds of answers, yet never got a reply... what are these, bogus offers?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
A mixed bag May 2, 2020

Sorana_M. wrote:

Perhaps a few are bogus, but in many cases those who post on the board are mostly interested in paying as little as possible. When they ask for your 'best price', it isn't worth the trouble to answer unless you're happy working for a pittance.

I do have a couple of good regular clients I found via the job board, though, so I would not write it off. But you do have to be a good match for what the client is looking for. That occasionally happens.

Sabrina Bruna
Thayenga
Dan Lucas
Elena Aclasto
P.L.F. Persio
Joe France
Philippe Etienne

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:48
German to English
Plenty of candidates within a short time May 3, 2020

The way the job postings are set up, Proz members get an immediate opportunity to reply to job offers. That's how the system is supposed to work.

Based on my own experience in another non-translator environment, a few years ago when I posted an opportunity for a temporary in-house office assistant, I received so many offers from qualified candidates that I had to take down the posting after about an hour. I wasn't able to reply to most respondents, although I indicated to the first
... See more
The way the job postings are set up, Proz members get an immediate opportunity to reply to job offers. That's how the system is supposed to work.

Based on my own experience in another non-translator environment, a few years ago when I posted an opportunity for a temporary in-house office assistant, I received so many offers from qualified candidates that I had to take down the posting after about an hour. I wasn't able to reply to most respondents, although I indicated to the first few that I might contact them if I needed more help.

Although I don't participate in the Proz job search, I think most posted offers are genuine, although like others, I suspect that the race is to the swiftest – and cheapest.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Claudia Niemeyer (X)
Leda Roche

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Once in a while May 3, 2020

You can find serious job posts here that come from agencies or direct clients who are seriously interested in a long-term collaboration with suitable translators. They are willing to pay a fair rate.

As Thomas has pointed out, the "best price/rate" job posts are only willing to pay one or two cents per word, or maybe three dollars per audio minute. Submitting an offer to those is definitely a waste of time.

In my 11 years of being a paying member I did find a couple of
... See more
You can find serious job posts here that come from agencies or direct clients who are seriously interested in a long-term collaboration with suitable translators. They are willing to pay a fair rate.

As Thomas has pointed out, the "best price/rate" job posts are only willing to pay one or two cents per word, or maybe three dollars per audio minute. Submitting an offer to those is definitely a waste of time.

In my 11 years of being a paying member I did find a couple of very good clients through the job board, even one end-client. The majority of my quotes, however, were unanswered. Still, there is a chance of finding clients on here, but you have to read the posts attentively and hope that you are a perfect match for the prospective customer. Usually the good posters receive several dozens of quotes, which minimizes your chances of become their business partner.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Monica Varvella

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sorana May 3, 2020

Sorana_M. wrote:
Why include this: Non-members may quote after 12 hours in your job offer, when you don't give them a chance anyhow? I've had my fair share of attempts, yet no reply...

Have you also "attempted" while being a paying member? No? Then how do you know that the reason you're getting no reply is because you are not a paying member? Non-winning bids/quotes rarely receive any reply, regardless of membership category.

Leda Roche

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not blocked, just late to the party May 3, 2020

Sorana_M. wrote:

That sounds like you think you're being blocked, that you're being prevented from having a chance.
I'm sure you aren't. ProZ.cm has nothing to gain by that.

Others have explained why -- most jobs will have been assigned in the first hour. If you were to become a paying member then you'd be able to quote just as soon as you manage to press "send". That would substantially improve your chances of a reply. But even then, few potential clients will reply just to turn you down. So if the way you write your quote, the facts you give (in the quote, your CV, profile...), your rate, or anything else at all doesn't match what they want, you won't hear anything. Although I don't keep statistics I know that the majority of my quotes go unanswered. But not all. And some of the responders have gone on to become regular clients.

Kay Denney
Myriam Moreno Hijazo

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Best price May 3, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Perhaps a few are bogus, but in many cases those who post on the board are mostly interested in paying as little as possible. When they ask for your 'best price', it isn't worth the trouble to answer unless you're happy working for a pittance.

The "best price" is another issue, which may or may not be combined with the "quoting after 12 hours" aspect...

This has been discussed before, but how can you expect someone who is a paying member to work for a pittance?

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Disagree May 3, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Have you also "attempted" while being a paying member? No? Then how do you know that the reason you're getting no reply is because you are not a paying member? Non-winning bids/quotes rarely receive any reply, regardless of membership category.

I have never been a paying member.
What I have tried, though - just to see whether I might be right - is quoting with different rates. Like throwing in the (in)famous "best rate" and see whether that changes things.
As nothing happened, I can't agree with you.

[Edited at 2020-05-03 10:46 GMT]

Tea Komšić
Tea Komšić  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
I thought this only happens to me May 3, 2020

Thayenga wrote:

In my 11 years of being a paying member I did find a couple of very good clients through the job board, even one end-client. The majority of my quotes, however, were unanswered. Still, there is a chance of finding clients on here, but you have to read the posts attentively and hope that you are a perfect match for the prospective customer. Usually the good posters receive several dozens of quotes, which minimizes your chances of become their business partner.

Reading your post, and posts of other colleagues, this makes me feel a little bit better. Why? Because I started paying Proz at the beginning of this year (my first investment, if you can call it like this), and since then, I have been quoting on a daily basis. I have sent hundreds and hundreds of quotes and emails, and received about 3 answers. Maybe it is just the beginning, but I seriously thought this happens only to me, and that I do not have such luck.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Chance May 3, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:

That sounds like you think you're being blocked, that you're being prevented from having a chance.
I'm sure you aren't. ProZ.cm has nothing to gain by that.

I wasn't implying Proz had anything to do with it.
It's not Proz posting those job offers, is it?

If most jobs are assigned during the first hour, this simply nullifies the "non-members may quote after 12 hours" mention.
Like... I, the job poster, will definitely find a suitable candidate among the paying members who will get to quote first, but I still make the non-paying members believe they too stand a chance?
It makes no sense to me.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
What Color is Your Parachute? May 3, 2020

When you apply for any kind of job, it is extremely rare to get a response when you do not get the job. That has already been mentioned above. That is why you do not get any response. The 12-hour time difference is only fair to give ProZ members a slight edge in quoting for jobs. Otherwise, members and nonmembers would be equal in applying for jobs, which may be unfair to ProZ members. That is why there is a 12-hour advantage, as we all know.

I once read a book by Richard N. Bo
... See more
When you apply for any kind of job, it is extremely rare to get a response when you do not get the job. That has already been mentioned above. That is why you do not get any response. The 12-hour time difference is only fair to give ProZ members a slight edge in quoting for jobs. Otherwise, members and nonmembers would be equal in applying for jobs, which may be unfair to ProZ members. That is why there is a 12-hour advantage, as we all know.

I once read a book by Richard N. Bolles titled What Color is Your Parachute? The book is all about job search. Richard N. Bolles describes that a typical job search goes likes this:

No - No - No - No - No - No - No - No - No - No - No - No - No - No - No - No - No - Yes!
Collapse

Claudia Niemeyer (X)

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-members may quote after 12 hours

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »