Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Agency tries to impose SDL calculation method to calculate project fee.
Thread poster: Vincent Lemma
Maria Roberts
Maria Roberts
United States
Local time: 05:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Can you recommend a good fuzzy matches calculator? Jul 30, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Vincent Lemma wrote:
The fact is that I charge per source word on the basis of the SDL report generated by analyzing the files.
In the case at point, the fee for this project would come out to roughly 0,04 euro/word, which is well below a decent rate for an experienced translator, especially since they want a very quick turnaround for three manuals, which also require format any layout checks.

So they're expecting you to use a CAT tool and benefit from the time-saving you'd get from repetitions and 100% matches and the possible savings from fuzzy matches. In that case, the per-word rate may indeed be very low. I don't let my clients determine the rate but I do offer some clients a discount based on these CAT tool grids. If they send one file, and then another that's basically mainly identical but customised for a different readership, I end up charging a very low per-word rate for the second file because it takes only a tiny fraction of the time.

You seem to be worried about changing your method of calculating the rate. You shouldn't be. The only rate that really matters is the hourly rate. You could theoretically charge for every "e" in the text, or for every definite article, or whatever. Just calculate how much you'd need to charge for each to give you a decent hourly rate.

What you shouldn't do is let an agency reap all the benefits of using a CAT tool. You can afford to lower your rate for the job somewhat, for the reasons described above. But you needed to buy and learn to use those CAT tools.

I have clients who have been giving me a few dozen projects every month. Each one of them has fuzzy match discounts and whatnot. I found it quite frustrating to calculate my earnings and effective rate per word when using those free online tools like this one. Typically, I have to type in each category manually. It is a nightmare when you have so many small projects sitting around.

https://www.meridianlinguistics.com/rate-calculator/

I came across another one the other day. It seems to have pretty nice UX. I wonder if anyone here ever used it? Thoughts?

https://fuzzymatches.com/

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency tries to impose SDL calculation method to calculate project fee.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »