Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: Have you got at least one IKEA item in your house/office?
Thread poster: Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:17
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Nov 19, 2008

I just got back from my local IKEA shop and, as usual, I managed to spend an awful lot of money in something I didn't even think about before entering the blue shack. So I wonder: do you do the same or is just me?
Gianni

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Yes, I've got an ice cream scooper Nov 19, 2008

The yellow one:
[img]http://tinyurl.com/6gaxfs[/img]

I used to have also a pizza cutter from Ikea, but I guess I sent it to the trash bin unknowingly while cleaning the dishes, because I haven't seen it around for a long time

[Edited at 2008-11-19 21:53 GMT]

Oops, just checked (I said 'checked', no, I didn't get ice cream from the fridge after writing the above!). My pizza cutter was yellow
... See more
The yellow one:
[img]http://tinyurl.com/6gaxfs[/img]

I used to have also a pizza cutter from Ikea, but I guess I sent it to the trash bin unknowingly while cleaning the dishes, because I haven't seen it around for a long time

[Edited at 2008-11-19 21:53 GMT]

Oops, just checked (I said 'checked', no, I didn't get ice cream from the fridge after writing the above!). My pizza cutter was yellow, the ice cream scooper is the purple one!

[Edited at 2008-11-19 21:56 GMT]
Collapse

Michał Szcześniewski
Michał Szcześniewski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
picture your IKEAl home Nov 19, 2008

We have the red ice cream scooper. And many (I mean more than I can remember) other items from the "blue shack". My wife pays frequent visits to the local shop...

Michał

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
One?? Nov 19, 2008

My desk, my 2 lamps, my chest of drawers, my pillows etc.
This summer I was in a tourist office in Ankara and the guy was drinking from "my" mug. I even told him. Ikea makes you feel at home and bad for the lack of variety at the same time. However, I tend not to buy useless things when I go there.
Did you try their crisps with their beer by the way?

Dana Rinaldi
Dana Rinaldi
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
more than one... Nov 19, 2008

My house if full of bits and pieces from Ikea. It's difficult to detect them but I know they are around somewhere.

Ikea opened in Ancona last year and it was a great day for me (equalled only by that moment in which I spotted Heinz beans in the local supermarket and Cadbury Flakes at Blockbuster's).

I don't go there very often now but, when I do, I come home with loads of unnecessary items and cakes. They have rhubarb pie I absolutely love and cheap salmon too.
... See more
My house if full of bits and pieces from Ikea. It's difficult to detect them but I know they are around somewhere.

Ikea opened in Ancona last year and it was a great day for me (equalled only by that moment in which I spotted Heinz beans in the local supermarket and Cadbury Flakes at Blockbuster's).

I don't go there very often now but, when I do, I come home with loads of unnecessary items and cakes. They have rhubarb pie I absolutely love and cheap salmon too.

Last september my husband and I were on the verge of an unamicable break-up after spending a full weekend trying to assemble furniture for our son's bedroom.

Now I sneak there alone and buy only what I am able to assemble myself. My idea of a second life is smuggling shoes and Ikea bags into my bedroom without being noticed by "the man".

Not everything turns out well. A few years ago I bought a set of cutlery with bubbles. They did not last long and certainly were not resistant to the dishwasher as stated on the box.

God eftermiddag (good evening in swedish)
Collapse

Elin Davies
Elin Davies  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Welsh
+ ...
Lots and lots and lots Nov 19, 2008

I've a pile of kitchen bits, a light fitting, lamps, lampshades, curtains and blinds, garden chairs, and my best buy ever was a big shelf (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60071358) that turned complete chaos (not mine, mostly I hasten to add) into organised bliss. It took me about half an hour to get it to fit in my little peugot on my own with the usual non existent men in... See more
I've a pile of kitchen bits, a light fitting, lamps, lampshades, curtains and blinds, garden chairs, and my best buy ever was a big shelf (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60071358) that turned complete chaos (not mine, mostly I hasten to add) into organised bliss. It took me about half an hour to get it to fit in my little peugot on my own with the usual non existent men in yellow coats to help in the carpark... I also bought my parents his and hers desks and shelves (and spent two days putting it all together, and a very long time getting it all into the back of the peugot on my own) so now they're also very organised, most of the time.

My brother hires a van when he goes, I should probably do the same next time .
Collapse

Cristina Pereira
Cristina Pereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:17
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, lots of them Nov 19, 2008

I usually spend a lot of euros per visit for things I didn't even thought I needed to have.

I have a wok (used 3 times, I think), a thing to store plastic bags, another thing to store garage items, a storing device in the bathroom, office chairs (one of them just got broken, so I have to go back there soon to replace it), you name it ...

I love going there, but I know I can't go there every other day!

One interesting post (for those who just paid a visit to
... See more
I usually spend a lot of euros per visit for things I didn't even thought I needed to have.

I have a wok (used 3 times, I think), a thing to store plastic bags, another thing to store garage items, a storing device in the bathroom, office chairs (one of them just got broken, so I have to go back there soon to replace it), you name it ...

I love going there, but I know I can't go there every other day!

One interesting post (for those who just paid a visit to Ikea) would be: what is the most strange item you bought in your last visit to Ikea?

Also, in Portuguese there's not a standard way to pronounce Ikea: 50% of the people say IkÉa and another 50% say IkeÁ (well, not proven, but more or less like this). Does it happen in other countries/languages?
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:17
Swedish to English
+ ...
Of course Nov 19, 2008

But then I'm Swedish and dearly remember the the two soft chairs my sister and I received X-mas 1972. I still had mine when I moved into my own first flat 10 years later.

Now, I mainly use Ikea for food supplies.

That reminds me, I've got to contact Mr Kamprad and remind him of how culturally important O'boy (hot chocolate) is for Swedish identity.

Vacuum cleaners (covered in green marzipane) and knäckebröd (crisp bread) are great, but how can you possib
... See more
But then I'm Swedish and dearly remember the the two soft chairs my sister and I received X-mas 1972. I still had mine when I moved into my own first flat 10 years later.

Now, I mainly use Ikea for food supplies.

That reminds me, I've got to contact Mr Kamprad and remind him of how culturally important O'boy (hot chocolate) is for Swedish identity.

Vacuum cleaners (covered in green marzipane) and knäckebröd (crisp bread) are great, but how can you possibly pretend to supply Swedish food without including O'boy and Slottt's mustard?

And salt liquorice or sugar cubes and pink mushrooms...

Sorry, my tastebuds got a bit
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:17
German to English
Office, living room, TV room Nov 19, 2008

My office has an IKEA desk and lamp (those heavy lamp bases are hard to get in North America). 3 bookshelves in my living room are from IKEA. The couch in my TV/music room is from IKEA. The pillows on my bed were also bought at IKEA.

I also have various carpets from IKEA.

When my daughter was a student in Montreal we furnished her entire flat with IKEA goods.

Tatiana Lammers
Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Noooo! Nov 19, 2008

I personally do not like IKEA. Instead, I love beautiful china, silverware, nice towels and bedding, and other things for my home that I bring back to the U.S. each time I go to Russia to visit my family there.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Several items Nov 20, 2008

A lamp, a coffee table, an end table, and a wall unit. I love the wall unit!

When I was in my 20s, their "Billy" bookcases were a staple of my home decor.

On rare occasions I've been known to stop at IKEA for lunch: meatballs with lingenberry sauce!

[Edited at 2008-11-20 00:20 GMT]

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not a single one Nov 20, 2008

But I probably would, if the closest shop wasn't 140 miles away...

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:17
English to Italian
Same as Bruna Nov 20, 2008

Thank God the nearest Ikea store is about 100 miles from my house, or I'll be BROKE...
I LOVE the Ikea stuff, their lines are clean and simple. Plus, I love to put furniture together, like a jigsaw.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I wuv Ikea! Nov 20, 2008

I remember the olden days of the red plastic folding Ikea chairs, back when Ikea meant classy and chic. Those chairs are still around today, so they must have worked out for them. If I had to design a logo for Ikea, it would probably contain a red chair.

I love Ikea, but not for the furniture. I must say that most any Ikea furniture that contains any kind of fabric doesn't last long. The only furniture I like is desks and chairs, and even at that...

What I like about Ik
... See more
I remember the olden days of the red plastic folding Ikea chairs, back when Ikea meant classy and chic. Those chairs are still around today, so they must have worked out for them. If I had to design a logo for Ikea, it would probably contain a red chair.

I love Ikea, but not for the furniture. I must say that most any Ikea furniture that contains any kind of fabric doesn't last long. The only furniture I like is desks and chairs, and even at that...

What I like about Ikea is all those little things. Storage boxes, kitchen tools, garden and yard items, decorative items and those little things that I usually don't set out to buy but end up buying, and then I realize that I missed that item all my life without knowing it - cover for the sofa when it gets cold, little storage solutions, etc.

I find that Ikea is the king of organizing. That, to me, is what they do best. My house contains almost no Ikea furniture - but it is loaded with Ikea-bought thingies to store things in. I have plastic containers in kitchen drawers, hooks on walls, fabric boxes for storing clothing, shoe racks, cardboard boxes... In fact, I think my next purchase there will be a storage system for my bedroom walk-in closet. I know, I can buy that elsewhere, too. But Ikea's storage systems are much prettier than Wal-Mart's...

Edit: for the record, Ikea contributes to my translator career - all my reference material is stored in Billy bookshelves.

[Edited at 2008-11-20 02:00 GMT]
Collapse

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 14:17
Spanish to English
No way, José!!! Nov 20, 2008

ALL my furniture is top quality, made in Peru. Same with linens and other "white" goods (most with Tanguis cotton), except for a few bought years ago in the US.
Appliances most from China (LG) except for an old Zenith TV and an Electroluz washer.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you got at least one IKEA item in your house/office?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »