Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Translator playlists - what do you listen to?
Thread poster: Mark Hemming
Mark Hemming
Mark Hemming  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:27
Slovenian to English
+ ...
Nov 22, 2016

I've wondered for a long time what my fellow translators listen to during those long hours slumped in front of a computer. Do you have a specific radio station you always tune in to? Have you created a special YouTube playlist for those low motivation days? Is there an album you reach for when 2am rings round and you still have 1000 words left for the morning?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:27
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
The silence of the lambs Nov 22, 2016

I sometimes hear neighbor's dogs barking, otherwise its quiet. I only listen to music, then I do nothing else. Between work sessions I play the piano, saxophone and violin, or at least I practice to play.

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 22:27
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Christian Instrumental music Nov 22, 2016

Hi, Mark.

I like calm inspirational music, if I use it for background during work time. My wife is a professional musician, she and some more high caliber musician friends and family sometimes record Christian instrumental music which I love very much. Piano, saxophone, bass guitar, lead guitar, clarinet, violin and more...

You (or any other colleague) can send me an email via Proz.com, and I can send you a SoundCloud link to some live instrumental recordings that they
... See more
Hi, Mark.

I like calm inspirational music, if I use it for background during work time. My wife is a professional musician, she and some more high caliber musician friends and family sometimes record Christian instrumental music which I love very much. Piano, saxophone, bass guitar, lead guitar, clarinet, violin and more...

You (or any other colleague) can send me an email via Proz.com, and I can send you a SoundCloud link to some live instrumental recordings that they have.

All the best,
Vitaly
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Silence Nov 22, 2016

Mark Hemming wrote:

I've wondered for a long time what my fellow translators listen to during those long hours slumped in front of a computer. Do you have a specific radio station you always tune in to? Have you created a special YouTube playlist for those low motivation days? Is there an album you reach for when 2am rings round and you still have 1000 words left for the morning?

Silence. The wind, when it blows. Distant traffic. Children playing down in the street.

I can't do anything when music is playing except stop everything and focus on the music.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 21:27
English to German
Silence Nov 22, 2016

and the cheep cheep of three little wild birds that made it clear they wanted to move into my backyard, so I ordered an accomodation for them online. I guess they were saying "you with the internet access, share your privilege!"

Daniela Slankamenac
Daniela Slankamenac  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
Nothing Nov 22, 2016

I can't listen to music while working. I've tried but it distracts me. However, after a period of hard work I usually take some time to listen to this channel http://bit.ly/2fmvhZA It relaxes me, there is something in this piece of music, I don't know.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Instrumental: classical, jazz, chillout, avant-garde classical, tango Nov 23, 2016

My musical tastes have expanded in the last few decades thanks to Pandora and the generous gift from a friend in the form of several hundred vinyl records.

As I'm away from my records and record players, I have to live with iTunes and my online library of playlists, from James Bond soundtracks to some pop tracks (which I listen when I'm awake). Lately, I have been borrowing several dozen CDs with jazz and classical works from the university library as I'm attending Aveiro Universit
... See more
My musical tastes have expanded in the last few decades thanks to Pandora and the generous gift from a friend in the form of several hundred vinyl records.

As I'm away from my records and record players, I have to live with iTunes and my online library of playlists, from James Bond soundtracks to some pop tracks (which I listen when I'm awake). Lately, I have been borrowing several dozen CDs with jazz and classical works from the university library as I'm attending Aveiro University (Portugal) this term. I was listening to some Afrocuban jazz last week, for example. Today, it was György Ligeti's pieces while I was prepping and executing a translation.

I liken writing and translating to complex musical forms. Instrumental music (no voices) act like a rhythm, a heartbeat to my thinking while I translate.
Collapse

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
Smooth jazz Nov 23, 2016

I have noticed that in my case anything containing words leads to distraction, regardless of the language. At radiotunes.com there is quite a selection of instrumental channels, my favourites are Smooth Jazz and Solo Piano (when working long evening shifts).

Axel Dittmer
Axel Dittmer  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
depends Nov 23, 2016

National Public Radio for news, talk, info and fun http://www.npr.org/
KCRW for music http://www.kcrw.com/
Both with apps on my ipad. Great apps, both for free.

I never get complete silence, sadly, because I live in the city. Old building etc.
My upstairs neighbor is a translator (yep) as well, and she hamm
... See more
National Public Radio for news, talk, info and fun http://www.npr.org/
KCRW for music http://www.kcrw.com/
Both with apps on my ipad. Great apps, both for free.

I never get complete silence, sadly, because I live in the city. Old building etc.
My upstairs neighbor is a translator (yep) as well, and she hammers away on her computer...sometimes...most of the time. Depending on the dead line I guess. So a bit of music helps to cover up 'her' noise;-)
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:27
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spotify Nov 23, 2016

I listen to Jazz all day long.

Laura Kingdon
Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
Music is too distracting Nov 24, 2016

I try to keep things as quiet as possible. If I'm doing some fairly easy proofreading I might have a TV show on in the background, but in general any noise makes it too difficult to focus on what I'm doing.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
ship horns Nov 24, 2016

... from the vessels leaving / entering the locks of the Kiel Canal, accompanied sometimes by the sound of their propeller.

Francesca Grandinetti
Francesca Grandinetti
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
jazz Nov 24, 2016

jazz, kirtan, nature sounds. Anything works, provided it's instrumental and not too loud.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Focus Nov 24, 2016

Here's why I need to concentrate on the music. Stop what you're doing and concentrate!

Geri Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGv4_l96e3s

or Russell Malone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNvntOn7cOk

[Edited at 2016-11-24
... See more
Here's why I need to concentrate on the music. Stop what you're doing and concentrate!

Geri Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGv4_l96e3s

or Russell Malone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNvntOn7cOk

[Edited at 2016-11-24 10:46 GMT]
Collapse

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
English to French
rave, rave, rave...and minimal music Nov 24, 2016

When I'm translating or proofreading, I tend to blast some psytrance, techno or jungle mix.
Anything by Steve Reich is great too as it's very repetitive and not distracting.

If I need to wake up in the morning, I'll sing along some happy hardcore or piano house tune while doing some admin.

Unfortunately, I mainly do subtitling work, so I can't listen to music very often. Pouh

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator playlists - what do you listen to?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »