Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:21
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Who? Nov 9, 2020

Chris S wrote:

You mean, he was on the dog and bone. [/quote]

Dog Holliday?

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
OK Corral Nov 10, 2020

Dog Holliday, of course! Might be a better name for that dog Ace ...

But actually, the "dog and bone" comment was Tom's. Perhaps it should also be pointed out for those unfamiliar with Cockney rhyming slang that "dog and bone" = "phone", like "apples and pears" = "stairs" and "butcher's hook" = "look".

[Edited at 2020-11-10 07:43 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Reminds me of ... Nov 10, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

"dog and bone"

... Tom Bones, the Welsh singer and probably another neighbour of Chris living next door?

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Can't be easy Nov 10, 2020

Living next to Tom Jones, I mean. All those women of a certain age driving up day and night to chuck their underwear on to his lawn in tearful nostalgia, like so many of them chucked them on to the stage at his concerts in a dim and distant past.

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:21
Danish to English
+ ...
Jones Nov 10, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Living next to Tom Jones, I mean.

And how could a simple freelance translator ever hope to keep up with the Joneses? Such an imbalance could easily lead to a bone of contention and the neighbourly relations could degenerate into a dog's breakfast.

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not a simple freelancer Nov 10, 2020

Company director, I believe, last time I looked.

But meanwhile it's good to see this dog theme is still being flogged for all it's worth!

Thomas T. Frost
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Cor blimey, guv'nor! Nov 10, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

But actually, the "dog and bone" comment was Tom's. Perhaps it should also be pointed out for those unfamiliar with Cockney rhyming slang that "dog and bone" = "phone", like "apples and pears" = "stairs" and "butcher's hook" = "look".

[Edited at 2020-11-10 07:43 GMT]

You're a proper geezer, Mervyn, a man after me own strawberry tart.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Strawberry Nov 10, 2020

Didn't know that one. Would you Adam and Eve it?

But I can imagine it in the Queen Vic bar in EastEnders: "You're breakin' my strawberry, you are, Frankie boy. Now get outta my rub-a-dub-dub!"

Key for the benefit of those who've never seen EastEnders:

strawberry tart = heart
Adam and Eve = believe
rub-a-dub-dub = pub

Definitely another language altogether. Plus, Cockneys make it even more difficult by not using the full rhyme, like
... See more
Didn't know that one. Would you Adam and Eve it?

But I can imagine it in the Queen Vic bar in EastEnders: "You're breakin' my strawberry, you are, Frankie boy. Now get outta my rub-a-dub-dub!"

Key for the benefit of those who've never seen EastEnders:

strawberry tart = heart
Adam and Eve = believe
rub-a-dub-dub = pub

Definitely another language altogether. Plus, Cockneys make it even more difficult by not using the full rhyme, like here, "strawberry" instead of PLF's full rhyme "strawberry tart", or "have a butcher's" instead of "have a butcher's hook" (have a look).
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nov 10, 2020

[Edited at 2020-11-10 15:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-10 16:01 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
My Stint as an International Woman of Mystery II Nov 10, 2020

The Brit's office was a small room with a cosy, gentlemen's club decor, furnished with two slightly worn green velvet Chesterfield armchairs, an oak bookcase filled with dictionaries, old volumes and girthy tomes, a brass floor lamp with green shade, and a desk with a central leather cover. The air was faintly redolent with a mixture of Blenheim Bouquet, tea, and dill, the ever-present scent of Russia.

He saw me stroking the smooth fabric, when I sat down on one of the Chesterfields
... See more
The Brit's office was a small room with a cosy, gentlemen's club decor, furnished with two slightly worn green velvet Chesterfield armchairs, an oak bookcase filled with dictionaries, old volumes and girthy tomes, a brass floor lamp with green shade, and a desk with a central leather cover. The air was faintly redolent with a mixture of Blenheim Bouquet, tea, and dill, the ever-present scent of Russia.

He saw me stroking the smooth fabric, when I sat down on one of the Chesterfields. "I don't know what they were thinking. How on Earth would I want to spend my time in a place that reminds me of one of the most snobbish, conceited and arrogant institutions in the world?
I suppose that they did it in order to annoy me, although I may be reading too much into it, and they just wanted me to feel at home, somehow."

Then, his accent shifting from cut-glass to a slight Cockney twang: "I presume comrade Humpsky has already filled you in on why we're interested in what you can offer us."

"Yes, sir, I'm ever so flattered."

"Don't be. Your class, they were a bunch of idiots. You just happened to be the less disappointing one out of the whole bloody lot. God forbid one, or two of them, are sent on a mission to dear old Blighty – to Salisbury, or somewhere like that – making a hash of whatever they are supposed to do. The very thought ... But, then again, I can't understand for the life of me, why they should recruit a foreigner like you, and a spaghetti-bender at that. Have I ever told you the story about how the Italian tanks have 6 gears, five go in reverse and one forward in case they get attacked from behind?"

"You have indeed, sir, many a time and with plenty of details. It's an endlessly fascinating story, sir, if I may say so."

"Being clever, are we now, comrade smarty-pants? Listen up, try to save it for our next project. I can't tell you more right now, but stand by. It involves reading and writing, lots of writing. Creative writing even, very, very creative. Cuppa?"

The Brit produced a Toby jug filled with what I assumed was brandy, and offered it to me. I politely refused the brandy, looking with curiosity at the charmingly grotesque object.
He poured the brandy into his tea. "This, this is one of the very few things I took away with me, when I left the British Isles for good. It used to have pride of place in my dear mother's pub."

He noticed my surprise. We all thought The Brit was the scion of an aristocratic family with a grand mansion in the English countryside, or a castle on the Scottish Highlands, an Oxbridge educated toff with money to burn.

"Oh no, that was all smoke and mirrors. The comrades thought it would be far more interesting to catch and convert an aristocrat, instead of a prole. Of course a member of the Lumpenproletariat would harbour left-wing views, right? Wrong, but never let the truth get in the way of a good story. I let them get away with it, because I find it funny too. Take that, upper class! One of yours is going to the other side. But the truth is completely different."

"Before you go and meet Humpovich, please take these books with you and peruse them: The Unabridged Dictionary of British English Idioms, and Tovarisch Talking: The Unabridged, Unofficial, and Pretty Much Secretive Guide to Soviet Lingo.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
That International Babe Nov 10, 2020

International mysteriousness strikes again! How you can have Toby jugs and Italian tanks designed to reverse in practically the same breath beats me. Well done, PLF!

expressisverbis

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Too much time on my hands? Nov 10, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

International mysteriousness strikes again! How you can have Toby jugs and Italian tanks designed to reverse in practically the same breath beats me. Well done, PLF!

Thank you, comrade Henderson, I think that's what happens when a pandemic sweeps the world.

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Joneses Nov 10, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
And how could a simple freelance translator ever hope to keep up with the Joneses?

It’s an occupational hazard wherever you live in Wales. Guaranteed at least half of your neighbours will be Joneses. It all stems from the inbreeding following the Bastard English Genocide of 1642 which left but two proud Celtic warriors from whom everyone here today is directly descended: Tom Jones and Gladys Pugh. Would you Adam and Eve it?

So the whole country would have been Joneses, and nothing but Joneses, had Tom not somehow overcome the hideous handicap of having his pubic hair on his head to become a consummate womaniser and impregnate enough Liverpudlian ladies to repopulate the whole northern half of the country with Scouse-accented Everton supporters.

Sadly all those sexual athletics have gradually taken their toll on Tom, and he rarely leaves the house now other than when Shirley wheels him out into the sun to top up his orangeness (think Melania and the Don after January).

But back when we first moved in, I invited Kelly and Tom over for our housewarming, and we made a home video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwL6SjjupbU

As you can see, it’s amazing what you can achieve in the premium translation market. You’ll see me there at the back banging my own drum as I like to do, being a premium translator. When I was transferring it from the Betamax just now, I was surprised to see Sadek also making a cameo appearance at 3:52.

[Edited at 2020-11-10 17:24 GMT]

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Thomas T. Frost
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 18:21
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some "Cockney" from Oporto Nov 10, 2020

I enjoyed the video and the song. Needless to say I always give a loud laugh when I read your comments.
Thank you Chris!

Dear PLF Persio,
I think I can't answer your doubt about the Portuguese joke in the other thread, so I will use this one.
"Mean it" has exactly the same pronunciation of a very naughty word in European Portuguese, which is "minete".
The answ
... See more
I enjoyed the video and the song. Needless to say I always give a loud laugh when I read your comments.
Thank you Chris!

Dear PLF Persio,
I think I can't answer your doubt about the Portuguese joke in the other thread, so I will use this one.
"Mean it" has exactly the same pronunciation of a very naughty word in European Portuguese, which is "minete".
The answer is:
https://www.infopedia.pt/dicionarios/portugues-ingles/minete
The "broche" thing, you can also find it here:
https://www.infopedia.pt/dicionarios/portugues-ingles/broche
An Oporto's boyfriend? Nice! I hope he was a good boyfriend, and mainly, a good person to you!
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dear me Nov 10, 2020

Ladies, ladies, this is the kind of titillating raunchiness that gets threads closed. Oh, I'm blushing, I know I am, I am, aren't I?

[Edited at 2020-11-10 17:56 GMT]

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »