Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:09
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
You go, Ace Nov 11, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Meanwhile, some bitter-sweet news for Ace, by the way, one of those "dogs waiting to be loved" in Battersea. I heard through the grapevine he's been taken in by a couple of skinheads cooking meth in a Clapham Junction squat. They saw him online, and thought he'd be ideal for guard duty. Not the best of all possible dog worlds, but nevertheless a chance for Ace. The chance to tear them both to pieces and scarper at the first opportunity to become a Dog of Fortune, living on his wits, his claws and his fangs.

#TeamAce, #JeSuisAce

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Barking Orders in German Nov 11, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

one of those "dogs waiting to be loved"

... this time not in a German fast food restaurant for hot dogs, but putting the British Police into an uncomfortable situation:

barking orders

I found this article 2008 on the seats in the train between Porchester and Portsmouth and kept it on my pinboard. I don´t remember where it was published, but I answered it by email like "it works well the other way around because the dogs of my landlord in Porchester immediately reacted" and they published it (in the next train back and on the opposite seat).

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 16:09
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A cultural trip Nov 11, 2020

There would be much more to say about my origins.
Nobody's perfect, and “tripeiros” aren’t an exception that proves the rule.
Being part of a small country, Oporto is fiercely defensive of its “language”, from the influence of Spanish to the contact with Brazil.
Also, we can speak the “portuñol”, and we can have a great relationship with Spanish and/or Brazilian.
So, don’t be surprised when locals protect their “portuense” way to speak and the Europ
... See more
There would be much more to say about my origins.
Nobody's perfect, and “tripeiros” aren’t an exception that proves the rule.
Being part of a small country, Oporto is fiercely defensive of its “language”, from the influence of Spanish to the contact with Brazil.
Also, we can speak the “portuñol”, and we can have a great relationship with Spanish and/or Brazilian.
So, don’t be surprised when locals protect their “portuense” way to speak and the European Portuguese language, because it was in Northern Portugal where the language took its first steps.
Portuguese speak extremely fast as so the “tripeiros”.
They feel happy to talk over each other and raise their voices to make a point.
They love to speak with foreigners, and it seems these like to have a good conversation with them too.
We are also known for being hard-working people.
In fact, there’s a funny saying (which cannot be understood in a strict way):
"Braga prays, Coimbra studies, Porto works and Lisbon plays."
Also, we like to welcome everyone, and are known for being a hospitable people.
We have a reputation for being warm and friendly, and we can be curious people (maybe we inherit this feature from the banks of the Nile?).
Sometimes, we can seem a bit harsh on others, but this happens mainly with the ones we love, or our "loved ones" (watch out: you can also meet a few “nabos” along the way). We have our faults too!
Please do not say to "tripeiros" you’re on a diet, because they are immensely proud of their food (chorizos included!).
As a city of fishermen (mainly Matosinhos, Póvoa do Varzim and Vila do Conde) we also wrap sardines in newspapers, and we like to go fishing, especially if we have a good company.
Our lucky number is usually a number that combines lots of energy and vibration, and we love to listen “Sex Bomb” by Tom Jones... Stereophonics are on the "menu" as well!
Also, we love our pets, and you may see us teaching a foreign language to their cats or dogs.
No, Portuguese men don’t like ironing, but they can help their “ladies” ("damas") in the domestic chores. Well, we can always find very lazy ones!
They can be sweet, sure, but only when they find their rare and beautiful "diamonds".
Last, but not least…
Locals from Porto swear, and they like to tell jokes, and make people smile.
Telling them you don’t like to curse, or you don’t like to tell funny and “spicy” jokes make you seem rigid and create an uncomfortable ambience.
They might take it as criticism or a way of saying they are rude or uneducated.
The truth is we are not rude or uneducated, we live only in the “land of friendly and funny people” who seems to love and respect even the most unpleasant thing or person.
My intention is not to teach anyone here. I couldn't do such thing, I'm not a teacher, but a pupil.
In fact, to everyone in this thread, I just need to thank you for all your warm and the healthy funny atmosphere you create.
This is just a way to show to other people the real meaning of being Portuguese.

"Tripeiros": https://www.wordsense.eu/tripeiros/
"Nabos": to be a blockhead or a dolt

[Edited at 2020-11-11 15:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-11 16:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-11 16:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-11 16:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-11 17:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-11 18:32 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Thomas T. Frost

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Great stuff Nov 11, 2020

I've suddenly been landed with 7K for tomorrow afternoon, so got to move fast, but not before taking a look at this page. It'll be this evening or tomorrow before I can read it in depth, but it'll be a welcome break when I do. Ace hashtags, dogs who think they're German, and a mini-guide to northern Portugal!

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:10
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Guess who's back, back again. Memes are back, back again. Nov 11, 2020

download

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Bruno Pavesi

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
How I coulda shoulda woulda been a Cockney Nov 11, 2020

As you many of you know, to be a true Cockney you have to be born within earshot of the Bow Bells in the East End of London. I should’ve been, and this is the partly true story of why I wasn’t.

I was conceived in the summer of 69, although clearly it wasn’t an evening of 69 (or in Portugal). I like to think that more precisely it was the 20th of July, and that I was fired from my father’s rocket at the very same moment Neil and Buzz were so spectacularly ejaculated from the
... See more
As you many of you know, to be a true Cockney you have to be born within earshot of the Bow Bells in the East End of London. I should’ve been, and this is the partly true story of why I wasn’t.

I was conceived in the summer of 69, although clearly it wasn’t an evening of 69 (or in Portugal). I like to think that more precisely it was the 20th of July, and that I was fired from my father’s rocket at the very same moment Neil and Buzz were so spectacularly ejaculated from the Kennedy Space Center towards their Giant Leap in the Mogave Desert.

Anyway, fast-forward nine months to April 1970. Both my parents were still working at Guy’s Hospital, where they’d met a few years before at the time of Beatlemania, just across the Thames from the Bow Bells and so deep in Official Cockerney Territory. As they were so terribly poor, as people always were in the olden days, maternity leave was not an option, and my mother planned to keep on working until she dropped. Literally.

And if she’d done it at work, I would now have been a diamond geezer. I would’ve had a career selling dodgy motors, made cameo appearances on Eastenders, gone down the dog track on Tuesdays and run with the Millwall crew on Saturdays, worn too many gold sovereign rings and eventually retired to run a faux-Elizabethan boozer of me own, like all Cockneys do.

Only she didn’t.

It was a Friday and my mother, or SS as I affectionately call her in view of both her initials and her parenting approach over the next 17 years, had just come off a 126-hour shift, still the gold standard in the NHS, and hitched a lift home to King’s Cross with a raffish chap called Julian in an Austin Healey, as all young ladies did after work back then, where she cooked my father’s meat and two veg, maybe in more ways than one, before heading down the pub for a drink and a fag, as all pregnant women did in those days.

It was there that I started kicking off. I still bloody hate Cinzano.

My father, or ARS as I call him in view of both his initials and his subsequent elopement to the Antipodes on realising what a monster he’d created, rushed SS outside and down the street, desperately trying to find a taxi. I remember vividly poking my head out from under her miniskirt outside Jones the Greengrocer on the Euston Road.

“Potatoe’s. Tomato’s. Beanz.”

Shit, I was going to be born under a bad sign.

Just in the nick of time, though, ARS managed to hail a passing taxi. “Quick, take us to Guy’s Hospital. The baby’s coming!”

“Leave it out, mate. This is a brand-new jam jar!”

Oh yes, like all London cabbies, he was a Cockney.

“And anyway, go south of the river at this time of night? You must be having a larf!”

Luckily, however, like all Londoners in the movies, but few in reality, he had a heart of gold, and bundled SS onto the next bus heading south, little realising the horrific implications of putting us on a number 45 rather than a number 43. We would end up not at Guy’s Hospital in Southwark but King’s College Hospital in Camberwell, just outside Cockney City Limits… Horror of horrors, I was to be born a Mockney.

Sometimes I wish my dad had just gone for a Barclays.

[Edited at 2020-11-11 21:23 GMT]
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:10
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Blimey Chris! Nov 12, 2020

I thought I was going to have a strawberry attack.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Nov 12, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

one of those "dogs waiting to be loved"

... this time not in a German fast food restaurant for hot dogs, but putting the British Police into an uncomfortable situation:

barking orders

I found this article 2008 on the seats in the train between Porchester and Portsmouth and kept it on my pinboard. I don´t remember where it was published, but I answered it by email like "it works well the other way around because the dogs of my landlord in Porchester immediately reacted" and they published it (in the next train back and on the opposite seat).

This is hilarious!

Recently I was trying to train my new dog to sit, not very successfully (I'm too much of a pushover, no authority whatsoever). A friend told me that the same words in German always had much better effect than French or English. I barked "Setzt" and my dog promptly sat! To my knowledge this was the first time he had heard the word.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
You should bark ... Nov 12, 2020

Kay Denney wrote:
I barked "Setzt" and my dog promptly sat! To my knowledge this was the first time he had heard the word.

the words „Setzen Sie sich!“, which is a bit more polite, but may have the same effect. „Setzt!“ should be „Setzt euch!“, because „Setzt“ alone would be the plural imperative form of the verb and cannot be used without the personal pronoun „euch“ (you). Your dog in your case immediately sat, because it didn´t understand you properly and either had to think about your barking, was waiting for the second dog or for the pronoun or was astonished, that you could bark as well, but never listened to his/her needs. Any more questions will be welcomed!

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-12 08:44 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Welcome back ... Nov 12, 2020

Felipe Lacerda wrote:
Guess who's back, back again. Memes are back, back again.

... and it looks a bit better since you have taken off your sunglasses. Isn´t it you at all? Sorry, but I´m not sure.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:10
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ah Nov 12, 2020

Chris S wrote:

I was conceived in the summer of 69

That explains why you are as you are.

Thomas T. Frost

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Such frivolity Nov 12, 2020

Unbridled frivolity, indeed. I know a guy here who's a dog trainer, and both he and his dog are a piece of work. I saw him one day saying something to the dog in German, and he said It's the only way to go with dogs. I'm sorry to report he called it the "Kommandant" approach! Having said that, it's not uncommon to hear people saying Sit! in English here.

A real travel guide from our forum tripeira, too. But there are nabos everywhere, Exy, believe me, I know. I know one of them very
... See more
Unbridled frivolity, indeed. I know a guy here who's a dog trainer, and both he and his dog are a piece of work. I saw him one day saying something to the dog in German, and he said It's the only way to go with dogs. I'm sorry to report he called it the "Kommandant" approach! Having said that, it's not uncommon to hear people saying Sit! in English here.

A real travel guide from our forum tripeira, too. But there are nabos everywhere, Exy, believe me, I know. I know one of them very well indeed. I heard the same thing about Israel, that Jerusalem prays, Haifa works, and Tel Aviv plays. I was in all three, and from what I saw it was quite true. I only saw Haifa briefly, but there did seem to be a lot of construction work going on. Plus a lot of destruction work going on in the country, too, lots of bulldozers rumbling around ...

But what can I say about that heroic dash to almost Cockneyland? A splendid nail-biter, that one, Chris, simply reeking of tension everywhere. But I admit I had to look up "Barclays". Barclays Bank, I mean. But you're quite right - if he'd just gorn for a Barclays, he wouldn't have ended up wiv a saucepan, would 'e? Still, we're glad he didn't just have a Barclays!

(saucepan lid = kid)
(Barclays = ... well, if you don't know it, you're just going to have to do a bit of research on that one, like I did ...)

[Edited at 2020-11-12 09:19 GMT]
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Haifa Nov 12, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I only saw Haifa briefly

The father of my Palestinian friend Hala told her how they used to live in the country, in the hills above Haifa, looking down on the Mediterranean. Then in 1948 the terrorists came and gave them 20 minutes to leave. He still has the keys to the house.

[Edited at 2020-11-12 09:49 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The Seventies, great generation :-D Nov 12, 2020

Chris S wrote:

I was conceived in the summer of 69, although clearly it wasn’t an evening of 69 (or in Portugal). I like to think that more precisely it was the 20th of July, and that I was fired from my father’s rocket at the very same moment Neil and Buzz were so spectacularly ejaculated from the Kennedy Space Center towards their Giant Leap in the Mogave Desert.

My father had arrived from the Overseas War in 1973 to Portugal, but he was dating my mother at a distance, through handwritten love letters!
This week, one of my posts was deleted because one of the reasons was the implied political content (Carnation Revolution, in 1974).
If the reference to a war that caused no deaths, no injured (on the contrary people "fought" using a flower and demonstrations) and to the year caused such troubles to the staff, I wonder how they react if I reveal my birthday.
I'm afraid I would be zapped for that, too!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Rachel Fell
Christel Zipfel
QHE

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
My generation Nov 12, 2020

Too bad if you weren't there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjN5uHRIcjM

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Rachel Fell

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »