Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
Local time: 18:20
German to English
Wuhan? Apr 29, 2021

Zibow Retailleau wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

Here's a common-sense tip on how to reduce "the numbers": unless you feel sick, don't get a corona test! If you must get a test, don't report a positive result to the authorities.

At the very beginning of the pandemic, a country did do that. The numbers were neglectable until the situation soon got out of hand that they decided, overnight and without warning, to put a city of more than 11 million population on lockdown.

Yes, we all know this 'tip' worked like a charm.

[Edited at 2021-04-29 14:36 GMT]

Is this Wuhan you're talking about? It's interesting/disturbing how you and most other people seem to accept the inevitability of these "lockdowns". Since when is a lockdown an appropriate response to a viral disease? What next? Lockdowns for the flu every winter, lockdowns in countries with high HIV rates, etc?

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 17:20
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A few words... Apr 29, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:

So you're another authoritarian who doesn't believe in the right to protest and believes everyone should be locked up in their homes and the economy destroyed because of a virus? And who's complaining that the "numbers are high"? Not the Querdenker, because we put "the numbers" in context and resent the governments of this world using "the numbers" as excuse for restricting our civil liberties and destroying the economy. Here's a common-sense tip on how to reduce "the numbers": unless you feel sick, don't get a corona test! If you must get a test, don't report a positive result to the authorities. The false positives and the asymptomatic infections will keep "the numbers" high forever, giving the government a reason/excuse to extend the lockdown indefinitely. Wake up, everyone!

As far as I am concerned, my comment was directed to Matthias, not to you, and I am not going to waste my precious time with you.
Also, in your place I would be careful. Show some respect for people here, and if you want to discuss your "rubbish" do it with someone else and somewhere else. This is not the right place for that.
Have a good day!

Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Christel Zipfel

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
@GB: Ridiculous ... Apr 29, 2021

...to march with people, who call themselves "Querdenker", but who are highly infiltrated and controlled by near-fascistic and open fascistic movements and people as the AfD, Höcke, Reichsbürger, PEGIDA etc. who take every ill-minded opportunity to misuse normally depoliticized people for their plans to turn back the clocks again in Germany and Europe into true authoritarian structures as we have in Russia, China, Turkey, Hungary, and other countries today already. Attacking journalists and si... See more
...to march with people, who call themselves "Querdenker", but who are highly infiltrated and controlled by near-fascistic and open fascistic movements and people as the AfD, Höcke, Reichsbürger, PEGIDA etc. who take every ill-minded opportunity to misuse normally depoliticized people for their plans to turn back the clocks again in Germany and Europe into true authoritarian structures as we have in Russia, China, Turkey, Hungary, and other countries today already. Attacking journalists and simultaneously claiming that all press, tv and broadcast media in Germany are remotely controlled by an authoritarian minded government shows, how far your loss of reality already is (if you ever had a sense of reality). I hope that you at least feel a bit important now and close to the Zeitgeist. As a true democrat, will you again report my posts to the teacher, to have deleted them? That would be great proof of your Gesinnung. Thanks.

I forgot: Still no "agrees" beneath your posts. Perhaps you should add to your profile that you are an outsourcer, too?

[Bearbeitet am 2021-04-29 16:20 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Adieu

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Food for thought Apr 29, 2021

There's little love lost between my fellow countrymen/women and me, but Umberto Eco makes me proud of being Italian.

Here's a brilliant analysis from his 1995 essay, of an evil rearing its ugly head again:
https://www.openculture.com/2016/11/umberto-eco-makes-a-list-of-the-14-common-features-of-fascism.html
... See more
There's little love lost between my fellow countrymen/women and me, but Umberto Eco makes me proud of being Italian.

Here's a brilliant analysis from his 1995 essay, of an evil rearing its ugly head again:
https://www.openculture.com/2016/11/umberto-eco-makes-a-list-of-the-14-common-features-of-fascism.html

The obsession with a plot. “Thus at the root of the Ur-Fascist psychology there is the obsession with a plot, possibly an international one. The followers must feel besieged.”

The enemy is both strong and weak. “By a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak.”

Selective populism. “There is in our future a TV or Internet populism, in which the emotional response of a selected group of citizens can be presented and accepted as the Voice of the People.”

Uncanny, isn't it?
Collapse

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
Matthias Brombach

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Big Bruder Apr 29, 2021

Uncanny it is. The enemy is both strong and weak. I like that one the best - easy to use in propaganda, too. It's strong because it tramples over people, and weak, well, because we're stronger and taller and fitter and sexier and better in bed and so on.

What's also uncanny, Portia (and rather creeeeeeeeeeepy ...) is the same person hanging around the same ProZ profile (and maybe others) for no apparent reason.

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
The People Apr 29, 2021

Another brilliant, brilliant writer, and a great read: Night Watch by Terry Pratchett:

People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn't that you had th
... See more
Another brilliant, brilliant writer, and a great read: Night Watch by Terry Pratchett:

People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn't that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people.
As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn't measure up. What would run through the streets soon enough wouldn't be a revolution or a riot. It'd be people who were frightened and panicking. It was what happened when the machinery of city life faltered, the wheels stopped turning and all the little rules broke down. And when that happened, humans were worse than sheep. Sheep just ran; they didn't try to bite the sheep next to them.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Big Bruder 2 Apr 29, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Uncanny it is. The enemy is both strong and weak. I like that one the best - easy to use in propaganda, too. It's strong because it tramples over people, and weak, well, because we're stronger and taller and fitter and sexier and better in bed and so on.

What's also uncanny, Portia (and rather creeeeeeeeeeepy ...) is the same person hanging around the same ProZ profile (and maybe others) for no apparent reason.

I love the Big Bruder title, nice one, Mervyn!

I was thinking to take a couple of selfies of me sporting sexy lingerie, and post them on my profile, let's see how they like them. In the immortal words of Beyoncé: I don't think you're ready for this jelly and If you liked it, then you shoulda put a ring on it!

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I forgot: Apr 29, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:
Here's a common-sense tip on how to reduce "the numbers": unless you feel sick, don't get a corona test! If you must get a test, don't report a positive result to the authorities. The false positives and the asymptomatic infections will keep "the numbers" high forever, giving the government a reason/excuse to extend the lockdown indefinitely. Wake up, everyone!

... this is the "completely frivolous thread"! Please go on, "Gerard" ...

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Funny bones Apr 29, 2021

The coronavirus thread is now much frivolouser than this one, and this is the one full of virus stuff. Que?

On a frivolous virus note, I have just returned from the least virusy district in England to the least virusy district in Wales, seemingly without contracting the coronavirus, or any other virus I would hope, yet within two hours I managed to break some ribs. Which goes to show that you can never be too careful, Gerard.

Flowers and grapes may be sent c/o ProZ. And
... See more
The coronavirus thread is now much frivolouser than this one, and this is the one full of virus stuff. Que?

On a frivolous virus note, I have just returned from the least virusy district in England to the least virusy district in Wales, seemingly without contracting the coronavirus, or any other virus I would hope, yet within two hours I managed to break some ribs. Which goes to show that you can never be too careful, Gerard.

Flowers and grapes may be sent c/o ProZ. And don’t make me laugh.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Jean Dimitriadis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dem bones Apr 29, 2021

Sorry to hear that, Chris, but in that case you might think twice afore ye read this. I've broken a few ribs myself, and I know that the most painful thing is laughing with broken ribs. Or sneezing. Or breathing, even. You have been warned ... if you like, don't read any further, and save it for when they've healed.

I think this is still a quasi-private joke, due to a self-deletion of mine some time ago, but I was wondering whether you broke your ribs on the ironing board ...?
... See more
Sorry to hear that, Chris, but in that case you might think twice afore ye read this. I've broken a few ribs myself, and I know that the most painful thing is laughing with broken ribs. Or sneezing. Or breathing, even. You have been warned ... if you like, don't read any further, and save it for when they've healed.

I think this is still a quasi-private joke, due to a self-deletion of mine some time ago, but I was wondering whether you broke your ribs on the ironing board ...?

And I did indeed send you some Trump Towers and Barbary Apes (sorry, force of 'abit ...) c/o ProZ, so they should be arriving any time now.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I've just sent ... Apr 29, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Flowers and grapes may be sent c/o ProZ. And don’t make me laugh.

... some spare ribs as a condolence gift to that address. Get well soon!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Monkey Wrench Apr 29, 2021

What is a name in the Welsh language a tool, which is called in English "Monkey Wrench" and what is the translation of the Welsh word(s) to English?

I once read an article in which it was written that from the mines in Wales was wrench entered to England, where was named "Monkey Wrench" and then was named by the country from which it gradually got to the Czechia (Bohemia). The Germany was skipped.

Welsh: ??
Google Ttanslate: Wench Monkey
EN: Monkey wrench... See more
What is a name in the Welsh language a tool, which is called in English "Monkey Wrench" and what is the translation of the Welsh word(s) to English?

I once read an article in which it was written that from the mines in Wales was wrench entered to England, where was named "Monkey Wrench" and then was named by the country from which it gradually got to the Czechia (Bohemia). The Germany was skipped.

Welsh: ??
EN: Monkey wrench
FR: clef anglaise
DE: Französischer Schlüssel
CS: francouzský klíč

Compare: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench

Milan
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Morwyn mynach Apr 29, 2021

Milan Condak wrote:

Welsh: Morwyn mynach

Indeed, there was a fashion back in the 17th century for Welsh maids who were handy at fixing motorcars to be tonsured. Sadly the tradition has not endured.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Deutschland, erwache! Apr 29, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote: Wake up, everyone!

... and whoever haven't we seen come and go here in this wunderbarem thread, Mervyn. I just sit here relaxed with a glass of Rioja, some spare ribs, having one of my last "Schneehasen" cigars I still have left from Opa in that Frisian kitchen, together with some books burning in my chimney (as a precautional measure), and I try to recall all the characters passed by, either sun glassed or sitting on the back-seat of a car (I miss him, did he made it, with his first 500.000 BRL annual revenue?) And the founder of this thread, who hasn't reached out to us for a long time now, not to forget the time machine from Honk Kong, then Kalle, his chicks, the cheques, or my ex neighbours. And now him. Isn't life amazing and funny at all?

[Bearbeitet am 2021-04-29 20:55 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
That's bad, Chris! Apr 29, 2021

But, look on the bright side, the Screamer Dual Hook must be proving to having been quite the smart investment now, isn't it?

Get better soon and try to stay off stiff surfaces.

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »