Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
Local time: 10:20
German to English
Oh dear Apr 30, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

...to march with people, who call themselves "Querdenker", but who are highly infiltrated and controlled by near-fascistic and open fascistic movements and people as the AfD, Höcke, Reichsbürger, PEGIDA etc. who take every ill-minded opportunity to misuse normally depoliticized people for their plans to turn back the clocks again in Germany and Europe into true authoritarian structures as we have in Russia, China, Turkey, Hungary, and other countries today already. Attacking journalists and simultaneously claiming that all press, tv and broadcast media in Germany are remotely controlled by an authoritarian minded government shows, how far your loss of reality already is (if you ever had a sense of reality). I hope that you at least feel a bit important now and close to the Zeitgeist. As a true democrat, will you again report my posts to the teacher, to have deleted them? That would be great proof of your Gesinnung. Thanks.

I forgot: Still no "agrees" beneath your posts. Perhaps you should add to your profile that you are an outsourcer, too?

[Bearbeitet am 2021-04-29 16:20 GMT]

Three points:

1) There is no connection whatsoever between the Querdenker and the AfD, PEGIDA or other conservative parties/movements, which you think are "fascist" (because government and media tell you so).

2) Even if there were a connection between the Querdenker and the AfD, that would be fine by me, because I actually like the AfD. Nor would I have a problem if the Querdenker were somehow linked with the left-leaning Greens or Linke. "Es geht um die Sache", as you'd say in German.

3) It's laughable for you and so many other Germans to talk about the "authoritarian" governments of Hungary, Russia, Turkey, etc. while ignoring the ever-more authoritarian governing style of your own leaders. Why are the Germans always so smug in this regard? Stop being so bloody obedient to authority!

[Edited at 2021-05-01 11:47 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
On being awake Apr 30, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:
The false positives and the asymptomatic infections will keep "the numbers" high forever, giving the government a reason/excuse to extend the lockdown indefinitely. Wake up, everyone!

BBC reporting today lowest cases since summer last year and half the country has had no Covid deaths.

No travel restrictions in UK. Pubs etc reopened outdoors. Indoors next week in Wales. All shops open. Pools open in England. Fans at football matches.

So who exactly is faking high numbers or extending the lockdown indefinitely?

Gerard, are we really the ones who need to wake up?

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Andy Watkinson
Zibow Retailleau

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
No, he's refering ... May 1, 2021

Chris S wrote:

... to Germany only, the worst country to live in, where he works and lives.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
I'm happy for the British ... May 1, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:
The false positives and the asymptomatic infections will keep "the numbers" high forever, giving the government a reason/excuse to extend the lockdown indefinitely. Wake up, everyone!

BBC reporting today lowest cases since summer last year and half the country has had no Covid deaths.

No travel restrictions in UK. Pubs etc reopened outdoors. Indoors next week in Wales. All shops open. Pools open in England. Fans at football matches.

So who exactly is faking high numbers or extending the lockdown indefinitely?

... I really am. But for the past year your government has robbed you of your civil liberties, thrashed the economy and denied children a proper education. Was it really worth it? And of course the real problem is they can do it all again if they so wish, if "the numbers" start rising again, if new mutations enter the country and/or if a new virus emerges (which of course is highly likely). You shouldn't be grateful to the government for giving you back your freedoms, you should be angry at them for taking them away in the first place.

Daryo

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
YMMV May 2, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:

Here's a common-sense tip on how to reduce "the numbers": unless you feel sick, don't get a corona test! If you must get a test, don't report a positive result to the authorities. The false positives and the asymptomatic infections will keep "the numbers" high forever, giving the government a reason/excuse to extend the lockdown indefinitely. Wake up, everyone!

Hands off my SARS-CoV-2!

It keeps me in business.

PS also, it tends to kill a lot of naysayers whenever big brother relaxes

[Edited at 2021-05-02 04:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-05-03 00:26 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Faking it May 2, 2021

Engrenages made me chuckle last night as a couple of villains with a sense of humour had registered mobile phones in the names of Alain Melon and Gilbert De Niro.

First, that might present an interesting translation challenge if your language doesn’t call a melon a melon.

Second, I’m thinking of switching to a life of crime and I need a name like that. Any ideas?

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Yes May 3, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Engrenages made me chuckle last night as a couple of villains with a sense of humour had registered mobile phones in the names of Alain Melon and Gilbert De Niro.

First, that might present an interesting translation challenge if your language doesn’t call a melon a melon.

Second, I’m thinking of switching to a life of crime and I need a name like that. Any ideas?

Clearly, "Chris T."

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Amen to that May 3, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Clearly, "Chris T."

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Names May 3, 2021

Chris Almighty? Crusher Chris? Cruel Chris?

And, although it doesn't exactly inspire fear and respect, considering what you do when not translating, how about "Chris On A Bike"?

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Rich T May 3, 2021

I actually know someone called Rich T, and that’s way funnier if you are familiar with cheap British biscuits.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Kay Denney
Rachel Fell
Barbara Carrara
Zibow Retailleau

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Taking the biscuit May 3, 2021

Chris T wrote:

I actually know someone called Rich T, and that’s way funnier if you are familiar with cheap British biscuits.

Is he a friend of DJ Steve?

I'm here all week.

[Edited at 2021-05-03 11:07 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Bustin' rhymes May 3, 2021

P.L.F.Persio wrote:
Is he a friend of DJ Steve?

Now my rap name has always been and will always be CJ Chilli, which opens up some interesting rhymes, but that's a whole other essential foodstuff.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The All-New Mr T May 3, 2021

I suppose this must be a nod to The A Team, Mr T. Or is it in reaction to the other Mr T next door? Or to Mr TiL?

But if you want it to be credible, you're going to have to do a Michael Jackson colour change in reverse, shave your head at the sides to leave just a tuft, grow copious facial hair lower down to compensate, buy lots of heavy jewellery, gain twenty or thirty kilos, bare most of your threatening, badass torso at all times, and start rehearsing some of B.A.'s growly stuff
... See more
I suppose this must be a nod to The A Team, Mr T. Or is it in reaction to the other Mr T next door? Or to Mr TiL?

But if you want it to be credible, you're going to have to do a Michael Jackson colour change in reverse, shave your head at the sides to leave just a tuft, grow copious facial hair lower down to compensate, buy lots of heavy jewellery, gain twenty or thirty kilos, bare most of your threatening, badass torso at all times, and start rehearsing some of B.A.'s growly stuff: "You ain't nothin' but a crazy fool, Murdoch!"; "I said I ain't goin' in no airplane, man!"; etc. in the mirror.

Oh, and you'll have to take a DIY course for all those intensive preparations halfway through, along with welding, electrics, trap-setting, and explosives and firearms which never seem to actually kill anyone.

[Edited at 2021-05-03 15:39 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Disgrace Jun 2, 2021

Yes, a shameful disgrace and a disgraceful shame. Shame on all of us. A full month with no frivolity? Has there been none of it recently? Of course there has - Christ knows there's been plenty of it elsewhere. I should know. I'm sure Tom will be pleased to get this notification of a new post, winging its way straight to him as the OP, issuing a call to maintain the frivolity he himself advocated in the very first post. Rather brusquely, too, but I can forgive him for that, and I'm sure we all ca... See more
Yes, a shameful disgrace and a disgraceful shame. Shame on all of us. A full month with no frivolity? Has there been none of it recently? Of course there has - Christ knows there's been plenty of it elsewhere. I should know. I'm sure Tom will be pleased to get this notification of a new post, winging its way straight to him as the OP, issuing a call to maintain the frivolity he himself advocated in the very first post. Rather brusquely, too, but I can forgive him for that, and I'm sure we all can.

So come on, all you notorious recidivist frivoleurs and frivoleuses, you. Get those frivolous mindsets in gear. The summer is well nigh upon us, and so 'tis the season to be frivolous. A little frivolity goes a long, long way. Got to do a frivol or two.

[Edited at 2021-06-02 19:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-06-02 19:19 GMT]
Collapse

Rachel Fell
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 09:20
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How do you make your voice sound professional? Jun 3, 2021

We should enjoy it for what it is: a bit of fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUWMKXoGH2U&list=RDB5zvp480jMc&index=12

That's my 'frivoulesse' for the weekend.

PS: Matthias, please be nice with me! I have checked the last part of this voiceover just now.

[Edited at 2021-06-03 16:30 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »