Off topic: What Kinds Of Gifts, If Any, Have Your Direct Clients Given You?
Thread poster: Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 1, 2021

Around the holidays, for timely submissions, at the end of a long-term project, for a job well done, etc.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I was once given a brace of pheasants Jan 1, 2021

That wasn’t a translation client though.

Had a few books, but the best presents are always edible.

Then again, watching my computer translate 15,000 words of a 20,000-word annual report paid at my full word rate is pretty rewarding.

writeaway
Rachel Fell
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
IrinaN

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:59
Dutch to English
+ ...
Just a happy client Jan 1, 2021

No gifts received and none needed. I just like to hear that the client is happy with my work and get paid accordingly.

Jennifer White
writeaway
P.L.F. Persio
Sarah Maidstone
Sabrina Bruna
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Thayenga

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 10:59
English to Russian
+ ...
T-shirts with logos and gym bags Jan 2, 2021

In industrial quantities:-)

It helps, because I absolutely hate classic T-shirts, especially with any kind of insignia, and never wear it otherwise but some of my work places are made for it, so I save a lot:-). I don't go to gyms but there is always some use for a bag in the household.

The only T-shirt I couldn't resist years ago said "Had to get rid of children. Cat is allergic."

Also, mission patches flown to the ISS, when you worked directly for that m
... See more
In industrial quantities:-)

It helps, because I absolutely hate classic T-shirts, especially with any kind of insignia, and never wear it otherwise but some of my work places are made for it, so I save a lot:-). I don't go to gyms but there is always some use for a bag in the household.

The only T-shirt I couldn't resist years ago said "Had to get rid of children. Cat is allergic."

Also, mission patches flown to the ISS, when you worked directly for that mission. Patches used to be flown on shuttles, never unpacked on orbit but brought back instead and distributed among people who supported that mission from the ground.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:59
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Direct clients Jan 3, 2021

One of my former agency clients gave me a calendar, a mug and a free spa session (which I never used). They were continuously trying to reduce the rates they paid, so I eventually gave up on them.
One direct client, a property management company, once told me I could double my rate for a particular job, as he didn't like the person they had to deal with, and the additional cost would be passed on accordingly!

P.L.F. Persio

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pleasant surprises Jan 3, 2021

Like Tina, I only expect fairly paid work form my clients, but I did enjoy two nice gifts.

One was a box of the golf balls you never buy because you can't afford to lose them in the lakes, and the other a little Nespresso machine which has been my best friend at work for years.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

P.L.F. Persio

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spanish 'turrón' Jan 3, 2021

Both last year and this year I received a parcel in the post from one of my favourite agencies. Inside was a Christmas card and an assortment of Spanish 'turrón' (almond nougat). It was a lovely surprise.

P.L.F. Persio
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:59
French to Chinese
+ ...
For 2021 Jan 8, 2021

A printed calendar for 2021 & some coupons years ago

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What Kinds Of Gifts, If Any, Have Your Direct Clients Given You?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »