Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:04
Russian to English
+ ...
May 1, 2019

Word 2019, Windows 10

I have a document that refuses to be spell-checked. The source document was in Russian, with "Hide spelling errors in this document only" checked (File > Options > Proofing). My PC does not have a Russian spell checker. When I translated it into English (using OmegaT), the target document came out with "Do not check spelling or grammar" checked in the Review > Language > Set Proofing Language tab. I unchecked that box, but it keeps returning. I highlighted the
... See more
Word 2019, Windows 10

I have a document that refuses to be spell-checked. The source document was in Russian, with "Hide spelling errors in this document only" checked (File > Options > Proofing). My PC does not have a Russian spell checker. When I translated it into English (using OmegaT), the target document came out with "Do not check spelling or grammar" checked in the Review > Language > Set Proofing Language tab. I unchecked that box, but it keeps returning. I highlighted the whole document: same thing.

The problem occurred in Word 2010 as well as Word 2019.

I do not currently have this problem with other documents (although it has occurred occasionally in the past).

Is there no way to tell Word that you ALWAYS want spelling checked?
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 19:04
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Possibly related problem? May 1, 2019

I've had a similar sort of problem in the past, albeit using much earlier versions of the software.

Despite "seletcing all" and setting the language options, it refused to work for certain parts of my text.

I seem to recall that the solution I eventually found was something connected with the styles used in the document: it seemed as is, if a language (or other options) was set in some particular style, those parts of the text would override the 'select all' settings. I
... See more
I've had a similar sort of problem in the past, albeit using much earlier versions of the software.

Despite "seletcing all" and setting the language options, it refused to work for certain parts of my text.

I seem to recall that the solution I eventually found was something connected with the styles used in the document: it seemed as is, if a language (or other options) was set in some particular style, those parts of the text would override the 'select all' settings. I think I got round it be modifying the offending style — luckily, there weren't too many in the document!

I don't know if this is at all related, but it might be worth investigating?
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:04
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How about May 1, 2019

In Files > Settings > (third menu item) > bottom second last checkbox ?
I don't have an English version.

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Heinrich May 1, 2019

Those labels don't seem to match what I see in the English version. Could you give the names in whatever language your PC uses?
Thanks

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:04
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Templates May 1, 2019

Hello Susan,

You said, you highlighted the whole document, when you select the whole document (CTRL -A) and apply proper "Language" and "Do not Check..." please make sure Default is not selected, otherwise it goes back to Default template. This might be a template issue. As far as I can find out, Languages and Do not Check... are not Word settings, they are the formats/attributes of the text so they follow the template. The template you're working on might be saved with "Do not Chec
... See more
Hello Susan,

You said, you highlighted the whole document, when you select the whole document (CTRL -A) and apply proper "Language" and "Do not Check..." please make sure Default is not selected, otherwise it goes back to Default template. This might be a template issue. As far as I can find out, Languages and Do not Check... are not Word settings, they are the formats/attributes of the text so they follow the template. The template you're working on might be saved with "Do not Check" attribute. This is what I could fine from online sources. Hope that helps.
Collapse

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Sarper May 1, 2019

Sarper Aman wrote:

please make sure Default is not selected, otherwise it goes back to Default template.

Hmmm... I don't think so. It says "Set as Default." I tried that a few times, hoping it would lock my Normal template in to accepting spell checking. Sometimes it seemed to work, sometimes not. I'm confusing myself now, since I've tried so many things.

I was unable to find any place that shows what the Normal template determines (or doesn't determine) about spell checking.

Thanks for looking!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Wild guess May 1, 2019

In Files > Settings > (third menu item) > bottom second last checkbox=
= File > Options > Proofing > Hide spelling errors in this document only
———
Hi Susan,
I don't work with OmegaT, but from this video: https://vmire.life/video/O7y6zWzV-yY I can see that the language used for spell checking purposes is Finnish both in source and target files. This means that Ome
... See more
In Files > Settings > (third menu item) > bottom second last checkbox=
= File > Options > Proofing > Hide spelling errors in this document only
———
Hi Susan,
I don't work with OmegaT, but from this video: https://vmire.life/video/O7y6zWzV-yY I can see that the language used for spell checking purposes is Finnish both in source and target files. This means that OmegaT does not change the spell checking language (or 'proofing language'? not sure... Язык проверки правописания in Russian).
If so, my guess is that your translation is still marked as Russian as it was before you started working in OmegaT. This might cause 'too many spell errors' behavior that stopped spell-checking. When this happens, with all text selected MS Word returns the 'Do not check...' option checked even if you uncheck it.
Try selecting all text again (Ctrl+A) and choosing English for your resulting translation (file in 'target' folder). You can see it (the language set for proofing purposes) in the lower left corner of MS Word window.

[Edited at 2019-05-01 21:43 GMT]
Collapse

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Stepan May 1, 2019

I think you may be right about the origin of the problem (although it's odd, because I work with Russian documents all the time, and this has only happened rarely). Changing the "Set Proofing Language" under the Review tab doesn't fix it, because I tried that already about a million times. And unchecking the "Hide spelling errors in this document only" box in File > Options > Proofing didn't work either, because it would immediately revert to how it was before.

But when I "Set Proof
... See more
I think you may be right about the origin of the problem (although it's odd, because I work with Russian documents all the time, and this has only happened rarely). Changing the "Set Proofing Language" under the Review tab doesn't fix it, because I tried that already about a million times. And unchecking the "Hide spelling errors in this document only" box in File > Options > Proofing didn't work either, because it would immediately revert to how it was before.

But when I "Set Proofing Language" to English, uncheck the "Do not check spelling or grammar" box on the Review tab, and ALSO click "Set as Default" in that same place, then it seems to be working. Although I am sure I did this many times last night, so I am not confident that it is really solved. But so far, so good.

Luckily, the document was already spell-checked by OmegaT, so I was able to send it to the client without worries.

Thanks all for your help.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Minor confirmation May 1, 2019

Did you select all before the actions you took?
In your first post you wrote that you '[then] highlighted the whole document: same thing.' It sounds like you did not select it before. Is that right? This is important because it defines whether you apply all your actions to the whole text or just to one word where the cursor is.

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure May 1, 2019

Stepan Konev wrote:

I think so, but I'm not sure. I struggled with this for a long time, following the dictum attributed (I believe falsely) to Einstein, that the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again in the hopes that this time it will come out differently.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Paragraph marks? May 2, 2019

Stepan Konev wrote:

Just an addition: One has to include the very last paragraph mark in the selection. I know that some colleagues work with hidden paragraph marks and thus often see mystery things happen. Such method of editing is a mystery - for me anyway.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 12:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
Cut and paste May 2, 2019

Can you copy and paste your translation into a new file? Not all of it at once because there may be some kind of code in it but try a few smaller pieces and see if it works.

I see that you already sent the file to your client but I would suggest you try it anyway, so you know.

[Edited at 2019-05-02 15:39 GMT]

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Altering the Normal template May 2, 2019

[quote]Susan Welsh wrote:

Sarper Aman wrote:

I was unable to find any place that shows what the Normal template determines (or doesn't determine) about spell checking.

Thanks for looking!

Open your Normal template, make the necessary changes and save it as a template. You might need to save it as e.g. "Normal1". Then delete the original and rename it as "Normal". Just ensure that you save it in the same folder as your current Normal template.

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Rolf YES! May 2, 2019

Rolf Keller wrote:

One has to include the very last paragraph mark in the selection. I know that some colleagues work with hidden paragraph marks and thus often see mystery things happen. Such method of editing is a mystery - for me anyway.

That was it! There was a footer with a paragraph mark in it (but no footer text), and a couple of extra paragraph marks at the end of the document. So I got rid of them, first on the ribbon Design > Close header and footer. Then in File > Options > Proofing: "Check spelling as you type" was checked, but so was "Hide spelling errors in this document only." So I unchecked the latter. Then on the ribbon again, Review > Language > Set proofing language > English > uncheck "Do not check spelling or grammar" > OK. (I did not click the "Set as Default" button this time, since I am not really sure what that has done for me up to now.) And now it works!

What a pain. How would anyone be expected to know this??!

Thanks very much, Rolf, and everybody else too.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Simple solution May 3, 2019

Save as TXT (text only). Copy and paste the content into a clean Word file. Select and run the spellchecker. You should now have a spellchecked version of the text content without any format or restrictions.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

spell checker problem in Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »