Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:00
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 24, 2019

Hello everyone

In MS Word, I have a nice macro that I got somewhere that converts tracked changes into actual formatting (strike-through and underline). I also have one that converts tracked changes into normal text and puts square brackets around inserted text and curly brackets around deleted text.

(These macros are base
... See more
Hello everyone

In MS Word, I have a nice macro that I got somewhere that converts tracked changes into actual formatting (strike-through and underline). I also have one that converts tracked changes into normal text and puts square brackets around inserted text and curly brackets around deleted text.

(These macros are based on code from http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=68482 and http://wordribbon.tips.net/T012055_A..._Brackets.html.)

What I would very much like to have, though, is a macro that does the opposite.

In other words, if an author used e.g. strike-through for deleted text and underline for inserted text, how can I convert the file so that strike-through text actually shows up as a tracked deletion, and the underlined text shows up as a tracked insertion? Or if he used square and curly brackets to surround inserted and deleted text, how can I convert it to actual tracked insertions and deletions?

In my files, text is never both underlined and strike-through, and I don't need to track multiple editors in a single document.

Do you know of a macro that does that?

Thanks!

(using Word 2003 and Word 2016 on Windows 7)
Collapse

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 15:00
Greek to English
Strike-through is easy May 25, 2019

I don't know about a macro, but you can do the strike-through part easily enough with search and replace. Just replace any struck-through text with an empty string when "track changes"is turned on.

I tried something similar with the underline, replacing all underlined text with itself. That gives you the tracked insertion, but leaves the original text marked as deleted. Getting rid of those remnants might be the difficult part....
See more
I don't know about a macro, but you can do the strike-through part easily enough with search and replace. Just replace any struck-through text with an empty string when "track changes"is turned on.

I tried something similar with the underline, replacing all underlined text with itself. That gives you the tracked insertion, but leaves the original text marked as deleted. Getting rid of those remnants might be the difficult part.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Macro for converting strike/underline to tracked changes

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »