Poll: For book translations, do you charge less than your regular non-book rate?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 7, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "For book translations, do you charge less than your regular non-book rate?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jul 7, 2018

Usually I start by asking the same and after some negotiation I finally accept circa 20% less if the deadline is reasonable and I don’t have to turn down work from my regulars… If the deadline is tight, I might propose splitting the project with the two trusted colleagues I have worked in the past on similar projects. Otherwise, I will reject the job.

P.S. I’ve translated several books (medicine, education) but I’ve never translated literature though I would like to try my h
... See more
Usually I start by asking the same and after some negotiation I finally accept circa 20% less if the deadline is reasonable and I don’t have to turn down work from my regulars… If the deadline is tight, I might propose splitting the project with the two trusted colleagues I have worked in the past on similar projects. Otherwise, I will reject the job.

P.S. I’ve translated several books (medicine, education) but I’ve never translated literature though I would like to try my hand at it. Unfortunately it’s notoriously underpaid, but maybe one day…

[Edited at 2018-07-07 11:38 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
30% cheaper for 4x longer turnaround Jul 7, 2018

Publishers don't want it. They want the book translated ASAP so they can start the conventional - and long - book production cycle quickly.

This is for authors who either have deep pockets, or who have had considerable succe$$ with their books in their home country, and want to go international via e-books, since nowadays most of the investment is in translation. They are usually not in any particular rush.

So I've devised a plan whereby they can get the translation 30%
... See more
Publishers don't want it. They want the book translated ASAP so they can start the conventional - and long - book production cycle quickly.

This is for authors who either have deep pockets, or who have had considerable succe$$ with their books in their home country, and want to go international via e-books, since nowadays most of the investment is in translation. They are usually not in any particular rush.

So I've devised a plan whereby they can get the translation 30% cheaper, though it will take longer.

Basically, if it would cost $100 (no particular currency, just a reference) and take X weeks, I offer to do it for $70, and the maximum turnaround time is extended to X months.
For me, it becomes a "filler" between projects, a neat way to sell my otherwise "idle" working hours.

My offer is explained at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/bookplan.html
Collapse

Cetacea
Nam-kyu Cho

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:47
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Slightly less Jul 7, 2018

Usually we agree on a flat rate for the entire book, and without me figuring out how many percent below my normal rate this is. If the price is right, along with a comfortable deadline and a few other items, all is good.

Ahmet AKIN (X)

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:47
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No books, no publishers, thank you. Jul 8, 2018

In 30 years, I only translated two books. And that was because I translated both directly to the authors. Every single time I ever tried to negotiate with a publisher, I felt explored and disrespected. I was never able to come to an agreement. Let this type of work to the beginners.
It's very unfortunate that publishers only pay peanuts (at least in my country), because books should be excellent translations, the best around. But I don't think this is what actually happens.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:47
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 8, 2018

When I was first starting out, decades ago, I was anxious to have my name recognized as translator of a book, so I accepted a deal to translate an 800-page manuscript for peanuts plus my name on the cover plus royalties. The book was "Mexico and the United States in the Oil Controversy," by Lorenzo Meyer. I did get my name on the cover:

... See more
When I was first starting out, decades ago, I was anxious to have my name recognized as translator of a book, so I accepted a deal to translate an 800-page manuscript for peanuts plus my name on the cover plus royalties. The book was "Mexico and the United States in the Oil Controversy," by Lorenzo Meyer. I did get my name on the cover:

https://utpress.utexas.edu/books/meyer-mexico-and-united-states-in-the-oil-controversy-1917-1942

I also received royalties for several years.

Since then I have translated number of book-length projects for international organizations that paid me my regular translation rate, no discounts. But no name on the cover.

It's too late now. If I'm going to work at my age, I want full pay. I could not afford to take on a project simply for love of the art and my name in lights.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: For book translations, do you charge less than your regular non-book rate?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »