Poll: Where do you get most of your books?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 16, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Where do you get most of your books?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rosa Grau. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:21
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Jul 16, 2018

Depends on how quickly I need them.
Generally online, but also from my local book shop asthey are the same price usually.
It is all a matter of convenience.

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:21
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
From traditional book shops Jul 16, 2018

I would happily order books online, but I have found from experience that I am unable to obtain the source language books that I want in that way. The problem is that in the past when I have visited the French or Italian versions of a well known international online book website which shall remain nameless it has refused to sell me the books I want because I am based in the UK. Instead it redirects me to the UK version of its website which I then discover does not stock the books I want. Accordi... See more
I would happily order books online, but I have found from experience that I am unable to obtain the source language books that I want in that way. The problem is that in the past when I have visited the French or Italian versions of a well known international online book website which shall remain nameless it has refused to sell me the books I want because I am based in the UK. Instead it redirects me to the UK version of its website which I then discover does not stock the books I want. Accordingly, I have given up even attempting to buy books online and have recourse to buying in bulk from a traditional book shop when I am travelling abroad.Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Traditional public library Jul 16, 2018

Yes, I knew it, I am one of the few still using a public library.
But mine is just 2 blocks away, and here I can indulge in free books and magazines, I love it.

However, sometimes I want to own a book and then I order it online.

Debora d'Amato (X)
ipv

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Traditional book shops Jul 16, 2018

I bought most of my books at traditional bookstores. I just can’t resist book shops: I never leave with only one book. Although I also buy online, it’s a completely different experience: I like the smell of books (it’s like coffee or chocolate) and rummaging through a bookstore, opening up new books and reading one or two paragraphs here and there…

Angus Stewart
Katia Perry
Nicholas Robinson

Debora d'Amato (X)
Debora d'Amato (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
From university Jul 16, 2018

I was used to buying them in traditional bookshops before attending university. Now that my university provides with a rich library, I take them from it.
Currently, I'm reading a book taken from there.

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Download from my public library Jul 16, 2018

My local public library (Lincolnshire, UK) has a great selection of fiction and non-fiction available for download. You are limited to three-week loans on the books, renewable if nobody has requested the book in the meantime. I read them on an ebook reader that retailed at 25 GBP when I bought it some years ago. The library doesn't impose geographical limits on downloads so, when I was recently in the US, I was able to download a book from my local library!

Edith van der Have
Edith van der Have
Netherlands
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Public library Jul 16, 2018

Though I own many books, I am an avid reader of public library books. I visit the library at least once a week, and we have a great system to order books from other libraries. Whenever I see a tip about an interesting read, I'll check the online library catalogue first. The three-week loan period encourages me to actually read the books, and my library subscription (50 euro/year) has already saved me at least 10-fold the money
... See more
Though I own many books, I am an avid reader of public library books. I visit the library at least once a week, and we have a great system to order books from other libraries. Whenever I see a tip about an interesting read, I'll check the online library catalogue first. The three-week loan period encourages me to actually read the books, and my library subscription (50 euro/year) has already saved me at least 10-fold the money

[Edited at 2018-07-16 10:43 GMT]
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Charity shops Jul 16, 2018

Nowadays if I need a book for professional purposes I go via the actual publisher where possible, via my local bookshop or sometimes via Amazon.

But for reading for pleasure I tend to try my luck at the charity shops and jumble sales. I have stumbled across some unexpectedly satisfying writers that way. And if I don't get on with the book I just donate it to the next shop or sale.

Books are made for sharing, one way or another.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
all except libraries Jul 16, 2018

Charity shops of course are a good source of reading matter, I stock up whenever I'm back in the UK.
Then my sisters and I circulate all kinds of books until we've all read them.
Some we keep, others go back to the charity circuit.
I presume Angus is referring to Amazon ... I live in Italy, but order books from the UK site and there is no problem having them sent here, just a bit of postage.
But if I'm planning to go back to Scotland, I have them delivered to my sister's
... See more
Charity shops of course are a good source of reading matter, I stock up whenever I'm back in the UK.
Then my sisters and I circulate all kinds of books until we've all read them.
Some we keep, others go back to the charity circuit.
I presume Angus is referring to Amazon ... I live in Italy, but order books from the UK site and there is no problem having them sent here, just a bit of postage.
But if I'm planning to go back to Scotland, I have them delivered to my sister's address and collect them.
We nearly always go by car, so adding a box full of books is not a problem.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
could be Jul 16, 2018

If it's about real (paper) books, there's a reading room with over 1000 items in our home library. Occasionally we buy new and used books too, so it keeps growing. Of course, it started long before me, and only about a hundred of books are related to translation and my fields. This year I'm a little behind my schedule to buy at least one book every month, alas. However, I may compensate it by OCRing old books, journals, and magazines.

As for ebooks, I used to buy CDs/DVDs or P2P and
... See more
If it's about real (paper) books, there's a reading room with over 1000 items in our home library. Occasionally we buy new and used books too, so it keeps growing. Of course, it started long before me, and only about a hundred of books are related to translation and my fields. This year I'm a little behind my schedule to buy at least one book every month, alas. However, I may compensate it by OCRing old books, journals, and magazines.

As for ebooks, I used to buy CDs/DVDs or P2P and download many FTPs, yet it's a bit difficult for me to read from the screen, let alone I got tired of running out of TB space... Now I know it's more than trivial to find some reviews, comments, or passages online--as needed, without printing and downloading it.

[Edited at 2018-07-16 19:42 GMT]
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:21
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Online booksellers Jul 17, 2018

When I hear about a book that appeals to me (radio interviews with authors, recommendations from friends, GoodReads, online ads, online browsing, etc.), I promptly order it from Amazon.

Miyoung Park
Miyoung Park  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 15:21
English to Korean
Other Jul 17, 2018

I`m going to my local library for Korean books. When I buy books, I use online bookstores or E-downloads.
For English books, I`m buying Amazon Kindle ebooks.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:21
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mostly online Jul 17, 2018

I like to own my books, and I prefer them new. I haven't used libraries for a long time. I mostly buy them from online stores, not only for commodity, but also because they are quite cheaper online than in the physical stores in Brazil.
However, I do sometimes visit the big book stores to look around. It's a pleasant trip. If I find a book I like, I might even buy it, but I'll most likely use the physical store just to look around and decide, then I'll buy the book online when I'm back ho
... See more
I like to own my books, and I prefer them new. I haven't used libraries for a long time. I mostly buy them from online stores, not only for commodity, but also because they are quite cheaper online than in the physical stores in Brazil.
However, I do sometimes visit the big book stores to look around. It's a pleasant trip. If I find a book I like, I might even buy it, but I'll most likely use the physical store just to look around and decide, then I'll buy the book online when I'm back home.

[Edited at 2018-07-17 18:07 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Where do you get most of your books?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »