Poll: How long a break do you usually take between projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 21, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long a break do you usually take between projects?".

View the poll results »

Laura Pascual
Laura Pascual  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:29
Finnish to Spanish
+ ...
It depends... Aug 21, 2018

It depends on the projects, obviously.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:29
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
If I can, I jump right in Aug 21, 2018

If it the previous project was long (which it usually is for me), I will have accumulated a list of things I didn't have the time to take care of, and I often take a break to attend to those before I start another project.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Aug 21, 2018

It depends on several factors, mainly: How tired am I? How long was the project I’ve just completed? Is there another project in the pipeline? Is the weather good?

Debora d'Amato (X)
Melanie Meyer

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 10:29
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Other Aug 21, 2018

Depends on the workload.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 21, 2018

For one thing, I call my work "jobs", mainly translation and revision jobs stop. I only call things "projects" if I want to appear more professional than I really am.

I've just finished one short translation job, and now I'm going to try to sort out some technical problems with my computers, as I've been away for a while and the people who were looking after the house dismantled one of mine and set up their own stuff, ... and once that's done I have some other chores to do, such as
... See more
For one thing, I call my work "jobs", mainly translation and revision jobs stop. I only call things "projects" if I want to appear more professional than I really am.

I've just finished one short translation job, and now I'm going to try to sort out some technical problems with my computers, as I've been away for a while and the people who were looking after the house dismantled one of mine and set up their own stuff, ... and once that's done I have some other chores to do, such as taking one of my vehicles for its annual inspection. I also have one revision job in hand at the moment, which is almost hundred percent ready for delivery, but I want to give it a once-over before sending it to the author. Other than that, I usually start the next job as soon as the last one is finished, but as it's August and I expect to have some friends visiting over next few days, I don't mind if this is a slow week.
Collapse

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Between projects?! Aug 21, 2018

My "projects" may be 1/2 page long. I often work on something bigger, then suspend it every time a small job comes in (most often, in a completely different language pair). Just now, I have two biggish ones going - one EN/CZ, one BG/CZ, and just stopped to do a small one CZ/FR. There is no such thing as "between projects".

Vesa Korhonen
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Natalya Danilova
Ester Vidal

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
0ther Aug 21, 2018

It depends for I often wait some time (even days) before revising, so I can start a new translation before finalizing the previous, let alone I switch projects back and forth, because the topic/activity change somewhat refreshes me.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:29
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Aug 21, 2018

I actually work in more than one project at a time regularly. I receive several jobs, ranging from very small to very large, on a regular basis. I fit in the small ones, interrupting the larger ones, when required. It's a very dynamic routine, and I simply cannot establish a "break" between projects. At the same time, I usually have two or three days in the month when I have nothing to do. So break enough there.

Debora d'Amato (X)
Debora d'Amato (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
I need a break Aug 21, 2018

I need a break for at least 15 minutes. Just to realise I finished with a job and I am about to start a new one, a different one.

Ricki Farn

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
German to English
+ ...
Other Aug 21, 2018

It depends on workload and other factors. I certainly pace myself.

Platon Danilov
Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:29
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Aug 22, 2018

It happens very rarely to me that jobs come like a queue, right after one another. For that reason, I cannot say I have a particular rule when it happens. Obviously, it depends on volumes, deadlines, my tiredness, and etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long a break do you usually take between projects?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »