Poll: Which technology trend do you think will have the biggest impact on translation in the future?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 29, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which technology trend do you think will have the biggest impact on translation in the future?".

View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:18
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
None of the above Aug 29, 2018

I don't think any of these trends will have a serious "impact" on translation. Translation will always be needed.

[Edited at 2018-08-29 08:19 GMT]

Debora d'Amato (X)
Ricki Farn
Joe Ly Sien

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:18
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Other Aug 29, 2018

Most of them I never heard of

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other (No idea) Aug 29, 2018

I'm not good at making predictions of where we are heading...

Predictions

Anna Herbst

Béatrice DEZERALD
Béatrice DEZERALD  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
None Aug 29, 2018

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I don't think any of these trends will have a serious "impact" on translation. Translation will always be needed.

[Edited at 2018-08-29 08:19 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
mental telepathy Aug 29, 2018

Machine learning is but a stopgap, yet when people finally learn to speak in their mind in the universal Idea Language, there will be no need of 'translators' and 'interpreters')

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Define "translation" Aug 29, 2018

To just figure out what someone is saying on the interwebz in a different language, neural networks / machine learning are becoming increasingly important and also slowly improving, and I'm fine with that.

To produce human-quality, publishable translations, humans will always be needed. And these humans won't be helped by machines getting in the way. Machine learning / machine translation is like a stereotypical spouse who tries to finish your sentences for you, and not a very brigh
... See more
To just figure out what someone is saying on the interwebz in a different language, neural networks / machine learning are becoming increasingly important and also slowly improving, and I'm fine with that.

To produce human-quality, publishable translations, humans will always be needed. And these humans won't be helped by machines getting in the way. Machine learning / machine translation is like a stereotypical spouse who tries to finish your sentences for you, and not a very bright one.
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann

Vuka Mijuskovic
Vuka Mijuskovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Big data is evolving Aug 29, 2018

Machine learning already has big impact because it influences the way people express themselves (consequently, translations of those expressions keep up with the change). On the other hand, standard grammar of any 20th century language can't be directly transposed into AI algorithms. I don't think machine learning will make any radical progress from where it's now unless suported by humanized big data. And also, I think the philosophy behind big data harvesting will also change - more sooner tha... See more
Machine learning already has big impact because it influences the way people express themselves (consequently, translations of those expressions keep up with the change). On the other hand, standard grammar of any 20th century language can't be directly transposed into AI algorithms. I don't think machine learning will make any radical progress from where it's now unless suported by humanized big data. And also, I think the philosophy behind big data harvesting will also change - more sooner than later.Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:18
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
All of them and none of them Aug 29, 2018

All these already have an impact in the translation market. And this impact will surely be stronger in time.
However, the translation market is split into two very clear segments:

1. A market with excellent professionals that care for quality and accuracy, and clients who also care for quality and accuracy. This market will never be affected by machine translations, and it will always exist, because machines translate text, and human translators translate ideas, emotions, humo
... See more
All these already have an impact in the translation market. And this impact will surely be stronger in time.
However, the translation market is split into two very clear segments:

1. A market with excellent professionals that care for quality and accuracy, and clients who also care for quality and accuracy. This market will never be affected by machine translations, and it will always exist, because machines translate text, and human translators translate ideas, emotions, humor, and also perceive and correct errors in the original text. There is no way a machine will ever do any of these things.

2. The "peanut" market, crowded with people who think they can be translators and clients who think they are saving money submitting lousy translations to their clients. This market will be and is already being replaced by machine translation.

So, in the end, the evolution of the technology is great for us, as it will eliminate a segment of the market that jeopardizes our reputation and lowers our rates. Let it grow!

[Edited at 2018-08-29 19:46 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 29, 2018

Maybe machine learning, because I don't really see how the other options are translation related, and they sound iffy.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:18
German to English
+ ...
None - maybe human intelligence Aug 30, 2018

as always

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which technology trend do you think will have the biggest impact on translation in the future?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »