Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Are there words you try to avoid using in your translations because you don't like them?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 2, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are there words you try to avoid using in your translations because you don't like them?".

View the poll results »

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Specific acronyms Sep 2, 2018

For example, there is an acronym in English that sounds like "disgust" in Spanish, so instead of reproducing the acronym, I write the full name of the scientific society and the acronym in brackets.

svetlana cosquéric

Katia Perry
Katia Perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Anglicisms Sep 2, 2018

I avoid using anglicisms, even when they are acceptable in my target language, unless there isn't another word to be used or it's the term used by professionals in the field of the document I'm working on.

Veronika Malíková
Platon Danilov
Jan Truper
Helena Mas Boillat
ipv
svetlana cosquéric
Marcos Carou Balado

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:30
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Sep 2, 2018

I translate exclusively into European Portuguese and like others have said I avoid using foreignisms and undefined acronyms and abbreviations. I also avoid using new or modern words just for the sake of it. I deeply dislike words like “implementação” and “alocação”…

ipv
Apolonia Dermit
Linda Miranda

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Several Sep 3, 2018

There are several words I avoid using in both languages I translate into. There is always a synonym or a different way to construct the sentence to avoid these words. I can't think of any specific word right now, but my answer is "Yes, several of them" for sure.

Rosthie Celis
Margarida Ataide
Veronika Malíková
Linda Miranda

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:30
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, several Sep 3, 2018

For example, "impact" as a verb, "build" as a noun and other such modish and unnecessary formulations.

neilmac
Mario Freitas

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:30
Member (2016)
English to German
yes Sep 3, 2018

Some words in German contain three of the same letter in a row (Schifffahrt, Balletttruppe, schneeerhellt, helllila, grifffest, etc.).
Eventhough it makes sense, I think it's ugly and I try to avoid them.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Concrete, except as a building material Sep 3, 2018

I had a wonderful text to proofread once, about urban oases and improving concrete green areas one by one as funds were available.
What's wrong with particular or specific?

There are others, but that is the first I can think of.

Linda Miranda
Linda Miranda  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
"I deeply dislike" Sep 3, 2018

Like Teresa, I also avoid using a number of new or modern words. I don't like “empoderamento” for empowerment and never would use “realizar” for "becoming fully aware of"...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Agustina Cossia Colagioia

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, Sep 3, 2018

not that I can think of right off hand, but now that the issue has been mentioned, I'll pay attention to it in future.

Victor Lage de Araujo MD IFCAP MSc
Victor Lage de Araujo MD IFCAP MSc
Brazil
Member (2018)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No “no-words” Sep 3, 2018

There should be no “no-word” for translators except for those that are not correct or somehow not indicated on a given language (the word “pode-se = pódice” comes to my mind in that context). Meaning, as a translator I should not avoid any valid word (such as not writingg “God” just because I am an atheist). Translation should be neutral and impartial.

Kaisa I
Antonio Tomás Lessa do Amaral
Agustina Cossia Colagioia

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Irregardless Sep 3, 2018

Irregardless!

Although I think I spend more energy on fitting words in. Words I particularly like, or that I have just learned, or whatever.

For example I have a translation on my plate for this week about coaching. The function of a coach is basically to empower people. "empowerment" is not a concept that exists in French*, so the text talks about it without actually mentioning it. I kind of think not using it would be rather weird for English speakers, yet I haven't
... See more
Irregardless!

Although I think I spend more energy on fitting words in. Words I particularly like, or that I have just learned, or whatever.

For example I have a translation on my plate for this week about coaching. The function of a coach is basically to empower people. "empowerment" is not a concept that exists in French*, so the text talks about it without actually mentioning it. I kind of think not using it would be rather weird for English speakers, yet I haven't yet managed to find a place to fit it in. Fitting it in somewhere will probably make at least a third of the text redundant, so I need to tread carefully.

(*si un francophone me lit et connaît un terme approprié, je suis preneuse!)
Collapse

Christine Andersen

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:30
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes -- many! Sep 3, 2018

One word that I used to avoid but have given up on is the abbreviation of the Latin American Center for Perinatology, Women and Reproductive Health, which is 'CLAP' in both Spanish and English. I can't tell you how many times it has elicited titters. I try to avoid anything that will distract the reader's attention.

Besides that, I have too many pet peeves to begin to list them. That's one reason (of many) why I don't like to "proofread" other colleagues' work. I keep telling mysel
... See more
One word that I used to avoid but have given up on is the abbreviation of the Latin American Center for Perinatology, Women and Reproductive Health, which is 'CLAP' in both Spanish and English. I can't tell you how many times it has elicited titters. I try to avoid anything that will distract the reader's attention.

Besides that, I have too many pet peeves to begin to list them. That's one reason (of many) why I don't like to "proofread" other colleagues' work. I keep telling myself, "Just because I wouldn't use that word doesn't necessarily mean that it's wrong."
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 3, 2018

Quite a few. For example, in academic papers with an international readership, I tend to avoid using "since" to mean "because", just in case it gives rise to any confusion. I won't use "impact" as a verb. And I don't use the "for + -ING" construction across the board, only judiciously, in cases where I think fits. I probably have several other little foibles like this, but these are some that spring to mind.

"Dematerialization" is another one I'm not keen on using to refer to e-busi
... See more
Quite a few. For example, in academic papers with an international readership, I tend to avoid using "since" to mean "because", just in case it gives rise to any confusion. I won't use "impact" as a verb. And I don't use the "for + -ING" construction across the board, only judiciously, in cases where I think fits. I probably have several other little foibles like this, but these are some that spring to mind.

"Dematerialization" is another one I'm not keen on using to refer to e-business or e-invoicing, as the French do. As I see it, in English, dematerialization refers to securities or stocks and shares rather than simple invoices ("Dematerialization (DEMAT) is the move from physical certificates to electronic book keeping. Actual stock certificates are slowly being removed and retired from circulation in exchange for electronic recording").

[Edited at 2018-09-03 11:08 GMT]

It's actually just cropped up in a translation I'm starting right now, and I'm thinking about the best way to render it in the contxt.

[Edited at 2018-09-03 11:09 GMT]
Collapse

Amir Arzani

Tássia Rafaela Montanheiro Rodrigues
Tássia Rafaela Montanheiro Rodrigues  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Sep 3, 2018

I deeply dislike using unnecessary anglicism. There is also some words I don't like to use, so instead I use synonyms.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are there words you try to avoid using in your translations because you don't like them?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »