Poll: How often is your work rated by testers with less experience and knowledge than you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 17, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often is your work rated by testers with less experience and knowledge than you?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ernesto Álvarez Valdivia. View the poll results »

Veronna Matos ovalles

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't know Sep 17, 2018

I haven’t the faintest idea! Nowadays, I don’t take tests very often, as I’m usually too busy, but when I do take them I either receive an e-mail saying that my test was approved or… complete silence!

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:47
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sometimes? Sep 17, 2018

I rarely know the identity of the people (if any) who check my work so I don't know whether their knowledge and/or experience is greater than mine. As I've been in the translation business a long time, I expect that SOMETIMES the checker is less knowledgeable and experienced than me.

Gibril Koroma
Veronna Matos ovalles

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:47
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Sep 17, 2018

I haven't taken a test in years.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:47
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Less experience and knowledge of what? Sep 17, 2018

I often know more about the languages - either the source or the target or both - than people who review my work.
I have sometimes had feedback from people who know more about the subject field than I do, and want to discuss the special terminology.

But most of the time I do not know who checks my work - someone from the agency, or the client, or both. It varies. Typically I would say I am the linguist, but they are the experts in other subject areas.

That said,
... See more
I often know more about the languages - either the source or the target or both - than people who review my work.
I have sometimes had feedback from people who know more about the subject field than I do, and want to discuss the special terminology.

But most of the time I do not know who checks my work - someone from the agency, or the client, or both. It varies. Typically I would say I am the linguist, but they are the experts in other subject areas.

That said, I know a lot of terminology at a superficial level, even if I don't know enough about the details of a subject field to work in it.
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:47
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Very common Sep 17, 2018

Not only "rated" but also revised, which is a disaster.

Jacek Sierakowski
Liena Vijupe
Ernesto Álvarez Valdivia

Platon Danilov
Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:47
English to Russian
+ ...
You cannot know Sep 17, 2018

The fact that your work rated by testers with less experience and knowledge than you does not necessarily mean they are eager to put it down. Normally, a tester should be correct and adequate enough regardless of their level of experience.

Christine Andersen
Veronna Matos ovalles

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, but... Sep 17, 2018

Platon Danilov wrote:

The fact that your work rated by testers with less experience and knowledge than you does not necessarily mean they are eager to put it down. Normally, a tester should be correct and adequate enough regardless of their level of experience.

...a minimum of knowledge and skill is required. That is the point.

Ernesto Álvarez Valdivia

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:47
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't know, but Sep 17, 2018

some of my clients sometimes say: "I have hired a new proofer and he/she will be looking into your work from now on". I really don't mind it, but the thing is that to 'win' a client, these so called 'proofers' make a fuss on my work, client replies with QA for review, I justify it and proofers fade away. Why not point out what really matters and keep both work opportunities?

Ernesto Álvarez Valdivia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often is your work rated by testers with less experience and knowledge than you?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »