Poll: Do you charge interest or penalty fees for late payments?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 18, 2019

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you charge interest or penalty fees for late payments?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:22
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other (not usually) Jan 18, 2019

In over 30 years I’ve had a few late payments (I’m dealing with one right now) but I had only 5 non-payment issues (4 agencies and 1 direct client): some solved, with the help of a lawyer for 2 of them (the amounts were too small for the remaining); all the legal fees were paid by the debtors (interest fees included).

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jan 18, 2019

Obviously it says I will on my invoices, but the only time the interest would ever amount to more than pennies is where the client isn't going to pay at all.

Jennifer Forbes

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:22
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jan 18, 2019

I think it would be like trying to push jelly up a hill. And not worth the trouble.

neilmac
Christine Andersen
Robert Forstag
Mario Freitas

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jan 18, 2019

I try to understand my clients and their situations. The smaller ones sometimes have cash flow problems; for example, one of them just paid me 50% of a bill I issued at the end of September; I'm not sure if it's the first or second 50%, but they always pay up in the end. Then there are research institutions and universities, whose accounting is bound to the tax year and the funds available, which means they may sometimes take several months to pay, but they always do so in the end.
I'm awa
... See more
I try to understand my clients and their situations. The smaller ones sometimes have cash flow problems; for example, one of them just paid me 50% of a bill I issued at the end of September; I'm not sure if it's the first or second 50%, but they always pay up in the end. Then there are research institutions and universities, whose accounting is bound to the tax year and the funds available, which means they may sometimes take several months to pay, but they always do so in the end.
I'm aware that badgering them isn't going to help, and that they will pay up in due course. It used to be more of a nuisance for me in the early days, but over the years I've gotten used to it. As the old tourist ad said: "Spain is different"...
Collapse

Amir Arzani
Paul van Zijll

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
other Jan 18, 2019

I don't work for clients that pay late.

Christine Andersen
Henriette Saffron (X)
Laura Bissio CT
Mario Freitas
TB CommuniCAT
Anja Hajek

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
EU's Late Payment Directive Jan 18, 2019

Never enforced interest or penalty fees for late payments yet, but the provision is present in all my invoices as legally required in France, and as per the Late Payment Directive by the EU:

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/smes/support/late-payment_en

Among the main provisions:

- Automatic entitlement to interest for late payment and €40 minimu
... See more
Never enforced interest or penalty fees for late payments yet, but the provision is present in all my invoices as legally required in France, and as per the Late Payment Directive by the EU:

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/smes/support/late-payment_en

Among the main provisions:

- Automatic entitlement to interest for late payment and €40 minimum as compensation for recovery costs.
- Statutory interest of at least 8% above the European Central Bank’s reference rate.

Note: These come into play without having to send any reminder to the client, simply after the due date lapses. If you are working in the EU, mentioning such legal provisions are a deterring factor against late payment practices. They has served well so far.

All my invoices mention:

- Late payment penalties: interest rate applied by the ECB increased by 10 points of percentage
- Flat rate for late payment recovery costs: €40 (article D.441-­5 of the French Code of Commerce)

[Edited at 2019-01-19 02:44 GMT]
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
In France, yes, absolutely! Jan 18, 2019

In over 25 years working as a translator, whether the client is small or huge, getting paid by the deadline for payment is hard. Sending out a reminder invoice with the 40€ penalty and the interest added on usually has the effect of making a forgetful client pay up. However, one example at the moment, is a company who paid the 30% upfront bang on time and that I had to chase for the balance, which they'd put into their system on a 60 days end of month programme. They had agreed clearly to payi... See more
In over 25 years working as a translator, whether the client is small or huge, getting paid by the deadline for payment is hard. Sending out a reminder invoice with the 40€ penalty and the interest added on usually has the effect of making a forgetful client pay up. However, one example at the moment, is a company who paid the 30% upfront bang on time and that I had to chase for the balance, which they'd put into their system on a 60 days end of month programme. They had agreed clearly to paying me upon receipt off my invoice. They paid up, but were late and it caused me prejudice. I added the penalty and interest which they had no choice about and which they agreed to pay (which made me smile, as like I have just pointed out, it's compulsory). But I'm having to chase them for that too, which is adding insult to injury.Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Seems counterproductive Jan 18, 2019

It seems that proposing a late payment fee when a project is being negotiated would likely drive most potential clients away.

What I do instead in order to protect myself are the following:
I stress the importance of the payment deadline (with phrasing along the lines of: “Payment due on or before [date], which is a firm deadline.”)
In the case of agencies, I usually work with companies with a “good” Blue Board rating (and therefore an o
... See more
It seems that proposing a late payment fee when a project is being negotiated would likely drive most potential clients away.

What I do instead in order to protect myself are the following:
I stress the importance of the payment deadline (with phrasing along the lines of: “Payment due on or before [date], which is a firm deadline.”)
In the case of agencies, I usually work with companies with a “good” Blue Board rating (and therefore an online presence and reputation to protect).
In the case of direct clients, I insist on upfront payment (for small jobs) and a combination of down payment and delivery-upon-payment for larger jobs.

These procedures have generally worked well for me.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:22
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jan 18, 2019

Unfortunately, this does not exist in our market. I wish it did, but it doesn't.

Anyway, it doesn't make a difference to me really. If any client delays a payment for more than 10 days, that will be the last service I'll provide to them.

[Edited at 2019-01-18 18:18 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Working with local direct clients Jan 18, 2019

It's me who makes my own rules in my biz:
1) I charge extra for late payments and
2) I ask new, unreliable and persistent non-payers for prepayment--or refuse their offers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you charge interest or penalty fees for late payments?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »