Poll: In general, how many times do you communicate with a PM or client over the same job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 30, 2019

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In general, how many times do you communicate with a PM or client over the same job?".

View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Twice Jan 30, 2019

"Yes I can"

"Here it comes"

writeaway
Rachel Shaw
Anna Herbst
Thayenga
Laura Bissio CT
Rosa Plana Castillón
Gibril Koroma

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:51
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It depends Jan 30, 2019

Normally, like Chris S, I communicate with the PM only twice, to accept the order and to deliver the translation and the invoice.
Rarely, I may have to contact him/her more often if difficulties occur or I need to ask questions and, with a very long job, I may send a progress report, or send the translation in batches, when requested.

Liena Vijupe
Ashlie
Eckhard Boehle
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:51
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Twice Jan 30, 2019

In general, twice: when I receive the job and when I deliver it. Very occasionally a question regarding the text might come up…

Laura Bissio CT
Linda Miranda

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 23:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 30, 2019

It depends. Quite often it is just when receiving and delivering the job, but sometimes I may have to ask for clarification about something, such as undefined acronyms (that happened yesterday)... or ambiguities in the text, or whatever. And despite frequent reminders, most of my academic clients tend to forget to mention which journal they are submitting their papers to. Things like that may require a bit of e-mail ping-pong...

Maria Silvestri

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:51
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends Jan 30, 2019

Sometimes they have extra references that come in and they send them along. Currently I'm co-translating a project with two other translators and we're updating the terminology list daily through the PM.

I usually save my questions for the end because I've learned that subsequent context often clarifies my doubts. However, I have one client who prefers that I submit my questions as I go along so that everything is solved by the time I finish the job.

Christine Andersen

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
As many times as it takes Jan 30, 2019

Sometimes I have a whole string of mails about a job, negotiating the deadline or something else.
I may have to clarify a sentence in the text, or check terminology.
I may find a discrepancy - how is someone's name spelled, which figure is correct, whatever.
They may send me special instructions, so I reply that I have noted them, possibly with comments.

On other occasions there is nothing to discuss, so I confirm that I can take the job, then deliver it in due co
... See more
Sometimes I have a whole string of mails about a job, negotiating the deadline or something else.
I may have to clarify a sentence in the text, or check terminology.
I may find a discrepancy - how is someone's name spelled, which figure is correct, whatever.
They may send me special instructions, so I reply that I have noted them, possibly with comments.

On other occasions there is nothing to discuss, so I confirm that I can take the job, then deliver it in due course.

I prefer clients and PMs who can discuss the work, pass the time of day and generally show they are human. We're not robots!
Collapse

Anne Schulz
Liena Vijupe
Francesca Chiarello

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Anywhere between once and dozens of times Jan 30, 2019

It depends on the client.

I have an agency client (one of the rare agencies that are a pleasure to work with) who sends me the project request, I reply "yes I can", and I just deliver via Plunet, which isn't really communication. I very, very rarely attempt a joke ("how much pizza did [end client] need to write all this?"), and it's almost a surprise when I get a reply that shows there's a human behind the keyboard.

And I have a direct client who doesn't know the targe
... See more
It depends on the client.

I have an agency client (one of the rare agencies that are a pleasure to work with) who sends me the project request, I reply "yes I can", and I just deliver via Plunet, which isn't really communication. I very, very rarely attempt a joke ("how much pizza did [end client] need to write all this?"), and it's almost a surprise when I get a reply that shows there's a human behind the keyboard.

And I have a direct client who doesn't know the target language, replies diligently to any and all queries, and then starts asking questions herself. Initially I thought I would throw her through the closed window within half an hour, but she's won me over by being both charming and a language lover. Some days it's like having a permanent chat window open.

And everything in between. I'm actually surprised that my people skills stretch this far (on the internet, nobody knows you're a dog).
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:51
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Usually twice Jan 30, 2019

Once when I receive the first e-mail, I reply it, confirm my availability, and attach a quot.
Twice when I deliver the job and the invoice.
Exceptions are when there are issues in the translation, like Chinglish terms, and when the client wants to change twelve for a dozen just to say your job wasn't 100% perfect.

Gibril Koroma
Gibril Koroma  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:51
French to English
+ ...
Twice Jan 30, 2019

Twice. Thrice on rare occasions.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:51
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
It depends Jan 30, 2019

One client wants a specific confirmation email in addition to the initial statement that I can take the job.
Some clients live in cultures where polite conversation must preceed business. So there is chatting involved in the project.
One client has an in-house proofreader, but I must approve the changes.
And then there are problems with the texts or vocabulary, and discussions about how the client wants errors to the original marked (or not), etc.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
twice Feb 1, 2019

1) Job received

2) Job sent, please confirm.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
lots Feb 2, 2019

Of course there are clients where there's just "sure" and "here", but my USP is transcreation, and there's a lot of subjectivity in a lot of what I translate. The text has to be beautiful, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So for my direct clients, mostly PR firms working in fields like fashion and cosmetics, but also record labels and a cookery school, I explain why I'm expensive. Part of that is that I am willing to rework stuff if they don't like it.

So I translated a PP
... See more
Of course there are clients where there's just "sure" and "here", but my USP is transcreation, and there's a lot of subjectivity in a lot of what I translate. The text has to be beautiful, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So for my direct clients, mostly PR firms working in fields like fashion and cosmetics, but also record labels and a cookery school, I explain why I'm expensive. Part of that is that I am willing to rework stuff if they don't like it.

So I translated a PPT presentation of one of my PR clients' clients, and then the client comes back after a few days with a question. In fact I hadn't translated the actual name of the association. I had given an explanation of what they do, extrapolating from their name. So they suggested a translation, I explained why I hadn't translated it and pointed out problems with their suggestion. Since I also asked a question to clarify whether one of my points actually was a problem, I'm now waiting for them to come back with an answer before I suggest my own translation. We've probably exchanged about 15 emails and we've had a couple of phone calls too. It's a new client, once people have learned to trust me that I've translated everything, there aren't always that much to-ing and fro-ing
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In general, how many times do you communicate with a PM or client over the same job?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »