Poll: Do you offer discounts for early payment?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 9, 2019

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you offer discounts for early payment?".

View the poll results »

jonathanjb4e

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:36
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jul 9, 2019

What do you mean by early payment: before the agreed date or on time? I deliver quite often before the deadline and no client has ever offered me a higher rate for an early delivery. I do give preference to clients who over the years have paid like clockwork.

Hazem Zaki
Kay Denney
Victoria Porter-Burns
Philip Lees
Jennifer Forbes
ahartje
Veronika Malíková

Victoria Porter-Burns
Victoria Porter-Burns  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:36
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
No Jul 9, 2019

No, and likewise I don't expect a higher rate for delivering earlier than agreed if that's my decision, either.

[Edited at 2019-07-09 15:14 GMT]

Michele Fauble

Danylo Kravchuk
Danylo Kravchuk  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:36
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
It depends on... Jul 9, 2019

Usually I don't, but I have one client who offers early payment (within 15 days) at 2% discount, otherwise the payment term is 45 days. So, this client is my only exception. Also, I work with outsources who offer an option to get paid immediately at some discount.

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
NO WAY! Jul 9, 2019

Besides for the pure pleasure, I'm in the business of literary translation to make money, and hopefully to pay for things other than just my month-to-month expenses, i.e., things like airline tickets to go over to the UK and Europe to meet up with clients and colleagues who are also friends.

jonathanjb4e

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:36
German to English
+ ...
The question doesn't make sense to me Jul 10, 2019

The work is the same. The amount of care is the same. What does happen, however ... delightfully ... is getting a new end client on the phone, and when you hang up, you discover an e-mail telling you that this person who just phoned you has already prepaid. It has happened a few times now.

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:36
Member (2018)
English to Russian
It depends Jul 10, 2019

Some agencies offer discounts for early payment - it's usually about 5%, while the payment is done a month earlier. Sometimes, when you need this money, such option is better than getting a loan

[Edited at 2019-07-10 09:32 GMT]

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:36
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes Jul 10, 2019

I do offer a 3% discount if the invoice is paid within 3 days, other than that I have customers that pay after 14 days or 30 days.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, but... Jul 11, 2019

ProZ.com Staff wrote:
"Do you offer discounts for early payment?".

1. No, but if a client offers something like a 3% discount for payment within 1 week instead of 4 weeks, I'll accept. I have no objection to this in principle -- the discount buys cash flow.

2. One client of mine is running what I can only assume is an experiment, whereby one week before the agreed payment date their payment system sends me an e-mail offering payment 3-5 days early in exchange for an admin fee of 0.25%. I can accept or refuse on a case by case basis. This means that if I'm owed €100, the payment system charges 25c for payment 3-5 days earlier than the agreed date. The psychology is interesting -- I wonder how many translators do NOT accept the offer every time.

[Edited at 2019-07-11 06:30 GMT]

Nikolay Novitskiy
Diana Obermeyer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you offer discounts for early payment?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »