Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you round up or down on your invoices to avoid amounts with decimals?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:41
Member (2005)
French to English
Only in quoting to direct clients Aug 10, 2019

especially non-business clients. As stated elsewhere, when billing to commercial clients, for clarity, the amount billed should match the amount on the purchase order. Furthermore, it is surely unreasonable to allow a discount on a weighted wordcount, which is already equivalent to a discount on the effort involved?

Christine Andersen

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:41
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Of course not Aug 11, 2019

It's not very professional to do so. Why? To make it look better??

Paulina R
Paulina R  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:41
English to French
+ ...
I guess it's different in Quebec, Canada Oct 27, 2022

I find it curious that in the answers, the majority doesn't round up. Here, in Québec at least (I don't really know about the rest of Canada), when for some reason, the client is charged hourly, translators usually charge a minimum time (usually 30 minutes minimum). They then round up to the nearest 15 minutes. That is done to cover time spent on writing and replying to e-mails, opening and setting up the document for translation, etc.

Although rounding up is not a common practice
... See more
I find it curious that in the answers, the majority doesn't round up. Here, in Québec at least (I don't really know about the rest of Canada), when for some reason, the client is charged hourly, translators usually charge a minimum time (usually 30 minutes minimum). They then round up to the nearest 15 minutes. That is done to cover time spent on writing and replying to e-mails, opening and setting up the document for translation, etc.

Although rounding up is not a common practice when the client is charged per word. So I guess in that sense, it's the same.

Does anyone of you round up when charging per hour (for example, creative translations or adaptations)? I mention that type of translation because even when there are a few words, it might take more time than a more "pragmatic" type of translation.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:41
French to English
. Oct 28, 2022

Paulina R wrote:

Does anyone of you round up when charging per hour (for example, creative translations or adaptations)? I mention that type of translation because even when there are a few words, it might take more time than a more "pragmatic" type of translation.

When I'm doing anything that I won't be billing per word, I'll charge per hour, and my rate for that is a round figure.
I've noticed that clients tend to like flat rates and round figures and thus agree to them very easily, so for work that I want to bill at a higher price than my usual hourly rate, I'll calculate the number of hours estimated, add on a bit more for good measure, and round up.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you round up or down on your invoices to avoid amounts with decimals?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »