Poll: How much of your income are you able to put into savings?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 11, 2020

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How much of your income are you able to put into savings?".

View the poll results »

Anderson Jes

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:26
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I strive for 10% Jan 11, 2020

I take out a little from every large payment and put it into savings.

Anastasia Naoumi
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Depends what you mean Jan 11, 2020

ProZ.com Staff wrote:
How much of your income are you able to put into savings?

I suspect I would be "able to" put about 25% of my net income into savings if I were to decide to pinch pennies, but I don't. So, at the moment, I'm not really saving anything (I mean, I do save, but the money ends up getting used up in a 2-3 year cash flow cycle, so that's not really "saving", is it?).

[Edited at 2020-01-12 08:41 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:26
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Depends Jan 11, 2020

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How much of your income are you able to put into savings?".

View the poll results »

It depends on how much I make in any given month.

Liena Vijupe
Gibril Koroma
Safrah Al-Otaibi

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
10% on average Jan 11, 2020

Some months a little more than 10% or none at all, depending on how much I receive each month. Though my children have left the nest many moons ago I'm always glad to help them whenever they need it and they do manage to eat my savings from time to time as bank of Mum is easily accessible, interest-free and charges-free…

ahartje
Muriel Vasconcellos

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jan 11, 2020

The house is paid for, only one child still in education, the other already earning more than me. I don't spend all that I earn, and I squirrel away what I don't spend. Probably a good half of my earnings. I'm comfy like this!

Michael Harris

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Less than 10% Jan 11, 2020

Kay Denney wrote:

The house is paid for, only one child still in education, the other already earning more than me. I don't spend all that I earn, and I squirrel away what I don't spend. Probably a good half of my earnings. I'm comfy like this!

In actual money.
We do pay off our flat every month and kay, I am going to be in your situation in about 5 years - looking forward to it☺

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
50-75% Jan 11, 2020

When I made the change to full time freelancer, our spending habits were adjusted to our incomes as employees. We did not change our spending habits much since I started freelancing, so that a lot more money can go into savings now.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
-(⅟10+⅓) Jan 11, 2020

They taught that some 10% should go for maintenance/short-term expenses and about 33% for long-term savings, so I can easily save 50%-75%.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
None of it, intentionally Jan 11, 2020

I may be able to stash away more than half of what I earn, but I consider it the most inefficient use of money. I invest it into my own skills, into my business projects, into property, but none of it stays in the bank (except temporarily), nor goes into stocks, mutual funds or the like.

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:26
Chinese
Jan 12, 2020

[Edited at 2020-01-12 14:59 GMT]

Wilsonn Perez Reyes

Anderson Jes
Anderson Jes
Nigeria
English to French
+ ...
My project determines everything Jan 13, 2020

I invest 25 -50% because of the projects I want done.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:26
Member (2004)
English to French
I aim for 40% Jan 13, 2020

And this is only to cover my taxes and all the money I'm sure the government wants me to pay during tax season. Better save too much than too little. I learned it the hard way. And if there is extra left after the government bleeds me, then I'll spoil myself.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:26
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
None yet Jan 15, 2020

Until August, I had three kids and a wife in college.
Until December, three kids in college.
Right now, two kids in college.
I'm hoping this routine of working endlessly just to pay the bills will end this year. Two of my kids already have decent jobs and need no more allowances. And my wife has finally finished her major in Law, and is working her way into the market.
So, my expectation is that, by the end of the year, I'll be able to save at least 20% of my income.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How much of your income are you able to put into savings?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »