Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Does your significant other ever help you with translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:43
French to English
Yes, occasionally Feb 2, 2020

I sometimes check IT terminology with him or ask him if he thinks certain phrases sound right. It's not that I need his input, but sometimes it's just nice to bounce ideas off somebody else.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:43
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
[OT] Significant Other Feb 3, 2020

I must agree with my colleagues. What a terrible expression. And it sounds terrible in all laguages I've seen it translated to, as well. In Portuguese, as Sandra mentioned, it would be Carametade (no hyphen in Brazil). And the word for spouse (cônjuge) is equally terrible. But we can always say "companion", "partner", and other similar words. Yet, the good old wife/husband, boyfriend/girlfriend will always be the best, no matter how much people try to change them for "politically correct" reaso... See more
I must agree with my colleagues. What a terrible expression. And it sounds terrible in all laguages I've seen it translated to, as well. In Portuguese, as Sandra mentioned, it would be Carametade (no hyphen in Brazil). And the word for spouse (cônjuge) is equally terrible. But we can always say "companion", "partner", and other similar words. Yet, the good old wife/husband, boyfriend/girlfriend will always be the best, no matter how much people try to change them for "politically correct" reasons.Collapse

Tom in London
expressisverbis
Christine Andersen

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Used as a gender-neutral term Feb 3, 2020

Mario Freitas wrote:

I must agree with my colleagues. What a terrible expression. And it sounds terrible in all laguages I've seen it translated to, as well. In Portuguese, as Sandra mentioned, it would be Carametade (no hyphen in Brazil). And the word for spouse (cônjuge) is equally terrible. But we can always say "companion", "partner", and other similar words. Yet, the good old wife/husband, boyfriend/girlfriend will always be the best, no matter how much people try to change them for "politically correct" reasons.

Yes, I agree with both, this expression sounds terrible, but now is colloquially used as a gender-neutral term.

It is used in other fields, such psychology and sociology, but with a different meaning, it describes a person with a strong influence and impact.

Or, "o meu-mais-que-tudo"; "a minha parelha" both also neutral as "cara-metade" (btw, I didn't know this word wasn't hyphenated in PT-BR).

Mario Freitas
Angie Garbarino

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:43
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Hey Tom Feb 5, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
Here's an idea for a poll question:

"how would you translate 'significant other' into one of your target languages?"

[Edited at 2020-02-02 09:50 GMT]

What about "la tua metà"

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No Feb 5, 2020

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

"how would you translate 'significant other' into one of your target languages?"

What about "la tua metà"

That would be "other half" or even OH (equally horrible expressions)

Christine Andersen

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Him I love ... Feb 6, 2020

I use a Danish expression - ham, jeg elsker - which is colloquial and similarly grammatically incorrect in Danish.

No, I would not let him near my translation work. He would go on and on and be an absolute PITB...
There is a slight touch of irony in the ham, jeg elsker expression. The tone of voice says 'that man who drives me nuts' too!

He is indispensable in many other ways, but I read the riot act and my declaration of professional secrecy if he i
... See more
I use a Danish expression - ham, jeg elsker - which is colloquial and similarly grammatically incorrect in Danish.

No, I would not let him near my translation work. He would go on and on and be an absolute PITB...
There is a slight touch of irony in the ham, jeg elsker expression. The tone of voice says 'that man who drives me nuts' too!

He is indispensable in many other ways, but I read the riot act and my declaration of professional secrecy if he interferes in my work.
I made an exception once, when I was doing some pro-bono work, and some of it involved translating from English and German into Danish. I could possibly have done it myself and got the client to proofread it, but I did not have much time. That confirmed my policy - never to let him help again!

[Edited at 2020-02-06 00:16 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Often used in Italian Feb 6, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

What about "la tua metà"

That would be "other half" or even OH (equally horrible expressions)

You like it or not in Italian it is used and has no gender,

expressisverbis

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Him is not politically correct Feb 6, 2020

Christine Andersen wrote:

I really do not care, but nowadays it seems very important to avoid gender.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Rarely Feb 6, 2020

Only when I need to work out something mathematical which is hardly ever but he does make life easy when I am pressed and he is not fussy about dinner times which helps too. He does get stressed out when he sees me burning the candle at both ends though.

Elizabeth Tamblin

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I agree Feb 7, 2020

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

What about "la tua metà"

I don't find it horrible at all, even if my Italian is very, very rusty.
The corresponding expression in EU Portuguese has no gender as well.

Jennifer McNeel
Jennifer McNeel
United States
Local time: 05:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
occasional help Feb 7, 2020

Whenever I am forced by necessity to do an inverse translation, my media naranja reviews it.
I used to have an in-house position; most of our work was ES-EN. Since the other two translators were native Spanish speakers, we always cross-checked each other. I found that where I most needed the native Spanish speakers was in correcting texts written in English by other Spanish speakers. Just translating was much more straightforward, and while I always appreciate having a cross-checker, it d
... See more
Whenever I am forced by necessity to do an inverse translation, my media naranja reviews it.
I used to have an in-house position; most of our work was ES-EN. Since the other two translators were native Spanish speakers, we always cross-checked each other. I found that where I most needed the native Spanish speakers was in correcting texts written in English by other Spanish speakers. Just translating was much more straightforward, and while I always appreciate having a cross-checker, it didn't feel strictly necessary in that case.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Him I love is one specific person who identifies as masculine Feb 9, 2020

Angie Garbarino wrote:

I really do not care, but nowadays it seems very important to avoid gender.

I agree with you all the way about respecting people's gender, but a great proportion of the world's population see themselves as men without complications. Him I love is one of them.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
hmmm Feb 9, 2020

men without complications

I've never met one.

Christine Andersen

Christine Andersen
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
How he sees himself... Feb 10, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

men without complications

I've never met one.

You're right. How he sees himself is one thing, how others see him is another!
But gender-wise we don't have any doubts: he is straight, masculine, call it what you like.
With all due respect to the other types along the spectrum, that is their business.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does your significant other ever help you with translation?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »